Barrett to dogs lol

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have a mate who is a doggies supporter and he reckons they want Barrett cause he will bring some of the Panthers young guns. I reminded him of the only player Des brought over to the dogs, being T. Williams, to demonstrate that players rarely follow coaches (Wayne Bennett is the only real exception to the rule). He’s now crapping himself.

Api went to the Panthers because of Barrett.

Api went to the Panthers because of Barrett.
Was it because of TB or because Fainu was our first choice going forward? I’m sure there is a strong relationship there given Barrett brought him across to Manly, but if our club said he was the No.1 hooker I reckon he would have stayed put (I think he said as much).

Coaches and players may have a strong bond, but the bond between players is generally stronger. The Panthers are winning atm - I doubt any of the top liners would follow TB.

I was thinking, though, that the players at Manly really liked him, particularly DCE and the Turbos. Maybe TB will try to reunite DCE and Foz at the Dogs next year??

They need Griffin. Come in, sort the place out, take no crap from their dysfunctional board and rebuild the club.

There's very few players on their roster to actually build a team around. I'd buy McCullough as priority. They need a hard nut 9. Maybe even bring back grub. Thank Tolman and half their centre/wing line for their services. Bring back lafai and their team could look like this:

DWZ
Large fast winger 1 (Ok maybe keep Chrichton)
Hoppa
Lafai
Large fast winger 2 (Montoya, Meeney, Holland or new Fijian flyer type)
Foran
??? Mong ??? I don't know
Not Tolman
McCullough
Napa
Jackson
CHN
Raymond FM

Jeremy MK
Decent bench prop1 (Sue?)
Decent bench prop2
Second rower (Elliott?)

The team should go ok and win a few games. When they are reminded how that feels like they will become competitive and can go from there.
No to McCullough for me. I like crawleys idea on 360. Have a big dig at McInnes from dragons even pay overs and put him into 9. With hunt on a squillion and now at 9 it could be a good move.

I have a mate who is a doggies supporter and he reckons they want Barrett cause he will bring some of the Panthers young guns. I reminded him of the only player Des brought over to the dogs, being T. Williams, to demonstrate that players rarely follow coaches (Wayne Bennett is the only real exception to the rule). He’s now crapping himself.
He brought over Lewis Brown remember

I'm not sure but reading that the dogs had spoken to trent while Pay was still coach....

wasn't that something Trent didn't like when at Manly? That they spoke to Des?

Can't recall.

Coaches and players may have a strong bond, but the bond between players is generally stronger. The Panthers are winning atm - I doubt any of the top liners would follow TB.

I was thinking, though, that the players at Manly really liked him, particularly DCE and the Turbos. Maybe TB will try to reunite DCE and Foz at the Dogs next year??
Manly would be paying the vast bulk of DCE’s salary for the remainder of his contract - if they allowed him to go elsewhere. So that sounds very unlikely.

Last edited:
Manly would be paying the vast bulk of DCE’s salary for the remainder of his contract, if they allowed him to go elsewhere. So that sounds very unlikely.
If guys like Ash Taylor, Jack Bird, Dugan, , Shaun Johnson and Ben Hunt get paid around one million bucks, give or take, there is no way that Manly would be paying any portion of DCE's contract if he chooses to leave.
Anyway if he chooses to leave, then it's on him and Manly is not obligated to make up the difference, if any.

Barrett is Canterbury's preferred choice to take over after the departure of Dean Pay but it is unclear whether he will leave his role as an assistant coach with the high-flying Panthers before the end of the season, as the Bulldogs would like.

With Barrett responsible for Penrith's attack this year, the Panthers have scored 218 points in nine games – the second most behind Sydney Roosters (268) and a significant improvement on last season (413) when only North Queensland (378), Gold Coast (370) and Canterbury (326) scored less.

In contrast, the Bulldogs have gone from bad to worse this season and are on track to score fewer points than any other team since the formation of the NRL in 1998 after managing just 94 points in nine rounds.

I always thought they were just towing the company line when saying 'how awesome' the coach was. It's like backing the coach was also in a way backing the club and the Trbojevics (esp Jake) are Manly through and through.

Could be wrong though.

I always thought they were just towing the company line when saying 'how awesome' the coach was. It's like backing the coach was also in a way backing the club and the Trbojevics (esp Jake) are Manly through and through.

Could be wrong though.
I think they genuinely liked him - everyone that knows TB personally says he is a great guy. The Turbos' comments probably just have that rare character trait where they have the capacity to empathise.

I think they genuinely liked him - everyone that knows TB personally says he is a great guy. The Turbos' comments probably just have that rare character trait where they have the capacity to empathise.

Ah yeah. I too think that they genuinely liked him, I just wasn't all that convinced that they "let's leave Manly" for him. I should have typed that better. derp

They are hyping Barret up as an attacking genius when in really he has a dam good balanced side around him when lots of good attacking players, fast backline, strong forwards abd great hooker and half back.

His attack was ok at manly, but his defence was some of the worst coached sides I have seen. straight away when Dez came in he worked all off season and had to fix it and its been really good ever since bar a couple of games. So much better goal line defence. When barret was in charge we had the worst defence in the whole comp!

Our attack will be fine with all troops back. Last year when had Tommy, Faniu and DCE on Manlys attack was superb - we just cant seem to have a season we the all our good players staying on the field for an extended time

This is how the side played last year with Walker, DCE, Faniu and Tom on the field

And yet .... just about every player I have heard gives Baz a rap ... including SOO players and now the Penrith players .... but bugger them ... what would they know ....

I prefer to get my opinions from people like me ... lying at home on the couch in our undies .... calling out our brilliant advice to the tele while sucking on a jack danials bottle ....

Whilst you're in full caber tossing mode...

I don't know too many players that have come out and said publicly that their coach wasn't any good. Or any player saying any coach wasn't less than 'good'?

Maybe I've been hiding under that couch?

This isn't totally related to the Baz question, just players and coaches in general. I dunno.

Last edited:

I don't know too many players that have come out and said publicly that their coach wasn't any good. Or any player saying any coach wasn't less that 'good'?

This isn't totally related to the Baz question, just players and coaches in general. I dunno.
David Fa'alago didn't come out say Jason Taylor wasn't any good. He just punched him.

I don't know too many players that have come out and said publicly that their coach wasn't any good. Or any player saying any coach wasn't less that 'good'?

Agree completely ... but neither do they have the need to come out and give an ex coach a rap ... from Killer to the Turbo's and DCE and Laurie Daley and recently Api, Cleary and Tamou and a few others ... all rate him highly ....

His coaching went down hill here .. when after making the finals he fell out with Penn over the promised support staff ... from that point on it was non-coaching issues that drove events ... Baz was either naive, or principled enough to say if you don't deliver what you promised ... I quit ... well he learnt not to cross Penn .... from that moment on .. he was, and knew he was ... a dead man walking .... and so did the players .... doesn't take much to derail a season .... as we are now seeing this year ....

My honest opinion is that Baz's fight with Penn had a bigger influence on our poor season than any lack of actual footy coaching ability of Baz's ...

But that is just my opinion .... I never got closer to the situation than the tele ....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4