Barrett speaks out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/86772c69876713582be87d6b24b1b3ed

MANLY NRL coach Trent Barrett had no choice but to act on continued failed promises and resign as the Sea Eagles coach.

Breaking his month-long silence, Barrett revealed to The Sunday Telegraph the bitter circumstances of his departure, his disappointment and frustration over archaic facilities at the under-resourced club and the breakdown of the relationship with chairman Scott Penn and chief executive Lyall Gorman.

The split came after months of correspondence complaining about the alleged failures of the club to meet their basic obligations under Barrett’s employment contract.

At times he was operating with a full-time staff of only nine in the football department, compared to other clubs who have as many as 25.

Barrett also revealed Gorman accused him of lying about not having a contract offer from the Penrith Panthers.

But it was the outdated facilities and continual funding delays that forced his hand.

“We have a team with a club struggling to keep pace with the professional needs of players to allow them to compete at the highest level,” Barrett said. “I have complained on and off ever since I got there.

“It’s my job and responsibility to push the club to provide the best environment and staff we possibly can for our players.

“I want them to be successful. I want our players to be proud of how our club operates in every department. I want the Trobjevic brothers (Jake and Tom) to go into NSW camp and know that our club provides the same professional working environment to the other clubs and be proud of it.

“This isn’t about me, it’s about moving this club forward and ensuring its future.”

It is understood that his stunning list of complaints included:

■ Barrett had to bring in his own backyard furniture for the team’s common room;

■ He had to bring a desk from home to use in his office;

■ Barrett, his wife and four kids had to clean the team’s gym on the night before he started work;

■ He had to hire chairs for the locker room;

■ Players at times had to change in the back of their cars and still have no lockers;

■ Management instability, with three chief executives in three years;

■ Three general managers of football in three years;

■ No recruitment manager for 12 months and a lengthy period without a welfare manager.

Barrett finally agreed to speak out and defend himself after Penn accused him of not acting “in the spirit of the club” in an interview with The Daily Telegraph last week.

Barrett said: “It has been tough from the get go and in the end it has become untenable.

“All I’ve wanted to do is make the place a better club and get it up to speed and in line with 15 other NRL clubs off the field.

“You know there is a lot that more goes into having a winning team than just what’s on the football field or the training paddock.”

He also revealed that he was on the verge of quitting late last year after another club approached him. But he stayed because he felt he owed it to the players.

This time there is no turning back.

“I’m doing this on principle,” Barrett said. “I know I am a good coach and you can go and ask all the players. I know what I am doing.

“I’ve tried to do everything right for the best interests of the club. This isn’t about me. I’m concerned for the players and their environment.

The club has tried to talk me out of leaving but I won’t change my mind.”

Barrett also reveals the club accused him of resigning from the Sea Eagles because he had a job lined up under Phil Gould st the Panthers.

He insists he has not spoken to Penrith and that he has nothing in the pipeline.

“My resignation occurred before Penrith dismissed their coach Anthony Griffin,” Barrett said.

“Lyall came to me and says ‘obviously you are going to Penrith, let’s just do this properly and, mate, we will just get through the end of the year and we will do a big press conference together’.

“I told him I hadn’t got the Penrith job, but he wouldn’t believe me. My resignation had absolutely nothing to do with Penrith.

“I actually wanted to announce my resignation over a month or so ago because I could not lie to the players. Manly chose to keep it under wraps.”

His manager Wayne Beavis, who accompanied him during the interview, said: “This is a bold and brave move by a young coach to try to make this place better for the players.

“You know I wanted him to walk six weeks ago but he refused to bail out on the players.”

Barrett also said reports of a falling out with club legend Bob Fulton were way off the mark.

“We butted heads, everyone butts head with Bozo,” Barrett said. “You can argue a beauty, but you still get along with him.

“And that’s the thing — there’s some things he does that I don’t agree with and things I do that he doesn’t agree with, but we were fine. It was a blow when he left.”

On July 20, Barrett personally hand-delivered his 12-month resignation notice to Gorman’s office. The chief executive was overseas so Beavis emailed the letter as well.

Under his legal obligations, both parties have to give a year’s notice to terminate the contract.

“I really tried hard to make it work,” Barrett said. “There isn’t a centre of excellence there.

“I gave the club the list of the football department’s requirements, which included a need for an experienced head of recruitment, list manager, salary cap manager. We need to get the juniors in line with the senior NRL football club as well.’’

During Barrett’s coaching time he had three CEOs, Joe Kelly, Tim Cleary and Lyall Gorman, and three GMs of football, Bob Fulton, Gareth Holmes and now John Bonasera.

“We have had numerous meetings with Penn and the board, and numerous discussions with Tim Cleary, and Joe Kelly before that, about getting a development coach, getting a pathways coach, making our reserve grade coach full-time, getting a third assistant. Simple things that all other clubs have,” he said. “These discussions continued with Lyall Gorman since his arrival.

My point to Scott (Penn) is we spend $9.2 million on players. Wouldn’t you want to invest in those players so we get the absolutely best out of them.

“The players deserve the best resources to get the best out of them for the benefit of the club and its fans.

“I went there with my integrity and my morals and I’m leaving with them intact.”

With speculation on his future, the betting scandal, the Gladstone affair, salary cap rorting, Jackson Hastings’ fallout with Daly Cherry-Evans and even his own resignation, it was always left to Barrett to front the media himself.

“When Lyall Gorman started we were going to do this and we were going to turn this place around,” he said, “So, this is the third spiel I have heard.

“All I have ever tried to do is improve the club. Not for me, but for the players and for the fans, and the club generally.

“My resignation has nothing at all to do with where we are sitting on the ladder. Because, even if we were placed in the top eight, I’d be doing the same thing.”

The Penn's need to sell the club to someone who wants to spend the money to make it a success.
They are clearly only insuredint in trying to make a profit and sadly 90% of NRL clubs don't.
I fear for the future of the club and suspect unless something drastic happens we won't be around in 5 years time.

Also don't get that if Barrett and Cartwright have the same manager, why did the manager get Cartwright to sign for another two years if the place is such a dive ? Does that suggest Cartwright couldn't get a gig anywhere else ? If so, why is he favorite to get our job? Also seems to point to the fact that Barrett had another job teed up.

Ok I’ll admit it sometimes I am nosey and look at the Eels forum to see what they are saying, now I don’t particularly like Brad Arthur but when you compare what he has to say to the fluff of an article above I feel very annoyed

“It’s tough," Arthur said. "I can understand every supporter is hurting big time at the moment.
“No one is hurting any more than me and the club. I’m responsible for where we sit right now.
“At the end of the day, I’m in charge. Someone has got to claim responsibility, that’s me.
“I feel a sense that I’ve let people down. It’s just embarrassing.
“I have to face up to it, I can’t run and hide from it.
“Obviously, the results I’d like to change, but the job I wouldn’t trade places with anyone. I love working at the club, I love working for Parramatta and want to stay there as long as I can.

I’ve always been an apologist for manly. But I can’t cop it anymore. The club has failed Barrett and his will to bring us into an era of not just professionalism, but equilibrium with the other clubs. Good luck finding a top line replacement Mr Penn. Our mission these days is to save pennies, not win premierships. Penn employed a coach 3 years ago and his job was to back him in and give him everything he wanted. Only then can we judge him on performance. We should be embarrassed.

Also don't get that if Barrett and Cartwright have the same manager, why did the manager get Cartwright to sign for another two years if the place is such a dive ? Does that suggest Cartwright couldn't get a gig anywhere else ? If so, why is he favorite to get our job? Also seems to point to the fact that Barrett had another job teed up.
Orr is Cartwright’s manager, he changed mid year

Bye Bye Baz you tried hard but at the end of the day you just weren't happy here..I hope you find happiness elsewhere.

Easy to pile on the guy (i'm glad he is leaving) but he has some fair points just because we got by with sub standard facilities (and staff) before doesn't mean we always will and the club (penn) has to decide do we want to be a participant in the nrl or be the great club we used to be. With his upcoming decision on coach it looks like he is happy just to participate and that's a manly I can't stomach wake me up when we are serious about winning again.

If someone can tell me how any of the above effects his ability to build the basics of a football side with the players he has NOW. That is - a defensive structure , methods to create attacking options in the red zone, use of the bench and building resilient character in his troops.After three f..ing years we have no identifiable consistent defensive approach or an attacking plan other than individual brilliance.And play with 15 players most weeks.Its laughable.

Our wingers don’t score tries ffs.A journeyman second rower is right st the top of our try’s scorers list !!That says it all. What does he do with these guys once the witches hats are put in place. That is where a footy team is built. Not in a shiny building.Fans will cop losses if they see improvement and a plan; and players playing with ticker and pride. Our capitulations reflect the character of our coach.

The other stuff he mentioned might be a bit of cream on top but is he seriously suggesting that is why our talented list may run LAST!!! At the margin it may have an effect but LAST. Teams without talent don’t beat Melbourne, Brisbane , Sharks and Penrith away from home.I don’t know but I’m pretty sure very few sides could boast that .And yet we face the spoon !!

The.comments from tough no nonsense footballers like Luke Lewis and Josh Reynolds about this facilities and personnel garbage illustrate what a joke it is. Players play footy. Their attitude is almost always a reflection of their coach , not the cleanliness of the f...ing gym.

How the hell does a recruitment manager for the future effect current performance when the side he has elected to build is based on talented youth, probably too much..We need to recruit young or unknown players like we need a hole in our head. We need hardened NRL players that run around every week in front of our coaches eyes , not more kids.A high quality recruitment spotter/ manager at an ageing roster like the cowgirls would definitely make a quick difference but at a club already loaded with talented youth and lacking experience it is just an excuse.

Sure, get a replacement guy to do the job going forward but if he is going to blame CURRENT results and our total lack of on field structure and passion on that he is taking the piss.And if he needs someone else to spot those hardened experienced players we need that run around on tv every week in the NRL, as opposed to young kids hidden from view , then god help his coaching career.

Next week can’t come quick enough .

Last edited:
Cartwright no longer has Beavis as a manager

Wow. That was a very poor list of excuses. This is what has annoyed me all year, he is always full of excuses and never takes any accountability!! Ever!

The players love him they said because he is approachable, but they will fall in love with the next coach as well.

He is just full of too many excuses . He is a sook.

The fact of the matter is that we lost plenty of games by 8 points or less.
With 484 Points 4 (seventh best) and 574 points against (absolutely farkin last with Parra on 506!!!) the issue is defence and the inability to play 80 minutes.
What the fark does a centre of excellence, facilities, list managers and all the rest of it have anything to do with playing with a bit of mongrel and putting out for 80 minutes!
Besides, I agree with an earlier poster that a List manager would be a waste of time with current salary cap constraints.
Just get the players to Farging tackle would be a start! - Look at the points we have haemorraged already this year FFS!

Barrett came to us for an opportunity, sure our club is run on a shoestring budget, unlike Penrith, Brisbane and some others, but then again, some other clubs operate on a shoestring budget as well, that's the way it is in this business, results aren't guaranteed because you spend a lot of money, if that's the case it would be Brisbane every year.
He's hardly Craig Bellamy to insist on all of those demands, and most are a bit lame anyway, just personal stuff, the reality is that his coaching record is poor and doesn't justify him insisting on a list of demands to the club.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6