Barrett speaks out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apples and oranges mate. AFL is ****ting all over NRL top to bottom. The only NRL clubs that go anywhere near AFL clubs are one city teams backed by news limited money (storm and Broncos) and the rorters. We are a suburban club in a second rate competition. We punch above our weight by virtue of who we are - 1978, 2008, a band of brothers, us against the world. How many members do hawthorn have - more than the population of manly?
Yep, and while we go on thinking that way, we go on being that way. Do you think the AFL, or their clubs just magically came into professional successful existence? Don't get me wrong, I am very proud and appreciative of the incredible success we have enjoyed as a club in the circumstances... However, I would like to see this sport, and our club, grow up and start acting like professional organisations.

it is quite remarkable his list of reasons/excuses, because they do not add up to wanting to quit your job. None of those things impact how he should be coaching a team. He is copping out using these reasons as to why the team is going so bad, yet they had a fair year last year under the same... 'strain'.

He is not leaving a sinking ship, he is just trying to save himself from sinking. Why is the joint good enough for Cartwright, but not Barrett?

This sounds like an attempt by Barrett to force Penns hands that they severe the contract rather than Barrett leaving = $$ payout.

As was said on NRL360, the players will love the next coach that comes in, Barrett will be quickly forgotten.

He forgot to mention the biggest neglect of all: At no point in all his time at Manly, did anyone at the Club ever give him a defensive plan. All the other coaches have them but no one never ever ever gave Trent one. Completely unacceptable and who could blame him for leaving?

Danny Weidler
25 August 2018 — 10:00pm

It’s known as the Harbord Hilton – it’s real name is the Harbord Beach Hotel – and it’s the favoured watering hole of Manly’s coaching brains trust, Trent Barrett and John Cartwright.

Locals have reported sightings of the pair to this column time and again. It’s hard to know if they were talking game plans, discussing the shortcomings of the club or just catching up as mates.

What is certain is Barrett is caught in another world where it was OK to get on the drink with those he manages and seemingly OK to bully and play pranks on people. Barrett was there on the night when one of his best mates, Willie Peters, was so upset about ongoing alleged bullying by trainer Dan Ferris that he ended up belting him.

Peters had complained to Barrett about Ferris – several times – in the lead-up to the night that cost him his job, but nothing had changed. Feeling ostracised and helpless, and after a few drinks in The Rocks – where Barrett was present – he took matters into his own hands. It was the wrong thing to do, but obviously Peters felt Ferris had gone too far.

Sea Eagles
There won't be a player exodus if Barrett leaves, claims Penn
To say Peters felt let down by his close mate, Barrett, is an understatement. They are no longer mates. Peters is the type to forgive, but not to forget.

Barrett was also out with the boys on the night Daly Cherry-Evans ended up in a Gladstone hotel room with Jackson Hastings. DCE’s actions, after attending a strip club, ultimately cost him a $10,000 fine from the club.

I asked Barrett at the time if they had permission to go out and he said no. But the players went anyway. Barrett later said he was comfortable with the players being out because they were with a security guard.

Those close to the club say Barrett was too close to the playing group – or elements of it – and that the line between friend and coach was blurry. Barrett liked to tell people he had the key to the team.

But when the engine was spluttering he started to look elsewhere other than at the driver.

The job certainly got harder for him when he lost his backer and adviser, Manly patriarch Bob Fulton. Barrett was hired by Fulton, but word got back to ‘‘Bozo’’ that Barrett was not happy with the roster at his disposal.

Being offside with Fulton is never going to be tenable, and there is no doubt that relationship breakdown has hurt Barrett. He lost Fulton as a sounding board and as someone who could influence the club and strong-arm his way through tough situations.

d7baa31dcfe6061ce4e9808a803d9c1cbc1ba236

Fractured relationship: The breakdown between Bob Fulton and Trent Barrett robbed the coach of a valuable mentor.

Photo: NRL Photos/AAP
Fulton would also have advised him on the best way to deal with the Hastings-Cherry-Evans situation, which derailed the club. Fulton could have helped Barrett negotiate a way through the current player split where there is a divide between those who back Cherry-Evans and those who don’t like him, namely Marty Taupau, the club’s best and most important forward.

So when Barrett said he didn’t have the right support in the job to be a success, that is true. But there have been other issues swirling about throughout his tenure.

Manly are ready for the legal letters and challenge that will come their way. There will be accusations from Team Barrett that Manly didn’t deliver on the promises they made or give the coach the support promised. Manly say they are confident they have met every request and are not concerned they will look stupid when the list of grievances finally becomes public.

Someone should ask him how many hours he spends personally in the gym each week, keeping in shape. Maybe some of that time could have been spent you know, preparing game plans and such.
Jeezus Terry, you're hitting harder than your namesake on this thread.
Makes me wonder what would be left of the subject if he played against that legendary namesake.
I already know.

His coaching record is absolutely awful. He made the call on Blake Green, he also made the call on Croker. He brought Jackson Hastings to the club then had some dramatic fall outs with him. Likewise with Lewis Brown. He also mis managed Darcy Lussick.
You proved his point ,all of the above should of been dealt with by professionals appointed to those positions.You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Ok I’ll admit it sometimes I am nosey and look at the Eels forum to see what they are saying, now I don’t particularly like Brad Arthur but when you compare what he has to say to the fluff of an article above I feel very annoyed

“It’s tough," Arthur said. "I can understand every supporter is hurting big time at the moment.
“No one is hurting any more than me and the club. I’m responsible for where we sit right now.
“At the end of the day, I’m in charge. Someone has got to claim responsibility, that’s me.
“I feel a sense that I’ve let people down. It’s just embarrassing.
“I have to face up to it, I can’t run and hide from it.
“Obviously, the results I’d like to change, but the job I wouldn’t trade places with anyone. I love working at the club, I love working for Parramatta and want to stay there as long as I can.
That speaks volumes. We have a coach that just wants to make excuses it's all about poor Trent.

Danny Weidler
25 August 2018 — 10:00pm

It’s known as the Harbord Hilton – it’s real name is the Harbord Beach Hotel – and it’s the favoured watering hole of Manly’s coaching brains trust, Trent Barrett and John Cartwright.

Locals have reported sightings of the pair to this column time and again. It’s hard to know if they were talking game plans, discussing the shortcomings of the club or just catching up as mates.

What is certain is Barrett is caught in another world where it was OK to get on the drink with those he manages and seemingly OK to bully and play pranks on people. Barrett was there on the night when one of his best mates, Willie Peters, was so upset about ongoing alleged bullying by trainer Dan Ferris that he ended up belting him.

Peters had complained to Barrett about Ferris – several times – in the lead-up to the night that cost him his job, but nothing had changed. Feeling ostracised and helpless, and after a few drinks in The Rocks – where Barrett was present – he took matters into his own hands. It was the wrong thing to do, but obviously Peters felt Ferris had gone too far.

Sea Eagles
There won't be a player exodus if Barrett leaves, claims Penn
To say Peters felt let down by his close mate, Barrett, is an understatement. They are no longer mates. Peters is the type to forgive, but not to forget.

Barrett was also out with the boys on the night Daly Cherry-Evans ended up in a Gladstone hotel room with Jackson Hastings. DCE’s actions, after attending a strip club, ultimately cost him a $10,000 fine from the club.

I asked Barrett at the time if they had permission to go out and he said no. But the players went anyway. Barrett later said he was comfortable with the players being out because they were with a security guard.

Those close to the club say Barrett was too close to the playing group – or elements of it – and that the line between friend and coach was blurry. Barrett liked to tell people he had the key to the team.

But when the engine was spluttering he started to look elsewhere other than at the driver.

The job certainly got harder for him when he lost his backer and adviser, Manly patriarch Bob Fulton. Barrett was hired by Fulton, but word got back to ‘‘Bozo’’ that Barrett was not happy with the roster at his disposal.

Being offside with Fulton is never going to be tenable, and there is no doubt that relationship breakdown has hurt Barrett. He lost Fulton as a sounding board and as someone who could influence the club and strong-arm his way through tough situations.

d7baa31dcfe6061ce4e9808a803d9c1cbc1ba236

Fractured relationship: The breakdown between Bob Fulton and Trent Barrett robbed the coach of a valuable mentor.

Photo: NRL Photos/AAP
Fulton would also have advised him on the best way to deal with the Hastings-Cherry-Evans situation, which derailed the club. Fulton could have helped Barrett negotiate a way through the current player split where there is a divide between those who back Cherry-Evans and those who don’t like him, namely Marty Taupau, the club’s best and most important forward.

So when Barrett said he didn’t have the right support in the job to be a success, that is true. But there have been other issues swirling about throughout his tenure.

Manly are ready for the legal letters and challenge that will come their way. There will be accusations from Team Barrett that Manly didn’t deliver on the promises they made or give the coach the support promised. Manly say they are confident they have met every request and are not concerned they will look stupid when the list of grievances finally becomes public.
Not that I trust a word weirdler says but if true he's a hoax.
It'll come out eventually but he's been a protected species in the media one way or another.
And by the happy clappers on this forum.
It's just surprising that someone has bagged him in print.

Why do you think we ended up with Barrett in the first place. Penny pinching with a rookie coach.Bet Penns will continue to penny pinch on our next coach too.If it's Cartwright ,it's not because of his exceptional win/loss ratio.It will be because he is probably the cheapest coach they can find.
FOP,s.

Not that I trust a word weirdler says but if true he's a hoax.
It'll come out eventually but he's been a protected species in the media one way or another.
And by the happy clappers on this forum.
It's just surprising that someone has bagged him in print.
Probably the only time Penn's pay for quality.Quality propaganda and fake news.
FOP,s.

You obviously missed the bit where Trent said he was a good coach. Who are we to argue.
A good coach would be someone who has won two premierships and is sitting on the sidelines holding his dick waiting for a start to get this club from being wooden spoon contenders to at least look like they are playing for a premiership.
TB does not fit that mould

What furking coward posts in his resignation whilst the CEO is overseas and gets his manager to email lyal a copy. The list of grievances is a stitch up. Surely it has more to do with soft kock TBerculosis being offered a gig somewhere else than that list of bull**** grievances.

Wow. That was a very poor list of excuses. This is what has annoyed me all year, he is always full of excuses and never takes any accountability!! Ever!

The players love him they said because he is approachable, but they will fall in love with the next coach as well.

He is just full of too many excuses . He is a sook.
Having seen that list just vindicates everything I have said about him

Last edited:
I’ve always been an apologist for manly. But I can’t cop it anymore. The club has failed Barrett and his will to bring us into an era of not just professionalism, but equilibrium with the other clubs. Good luck finding a top line replacement Mr Penn. Our mission these days is to save pennies, not win premierships. Penn employed a coach 3 years ago and his job was to back him in and give him everything he wanted. Only then can we judge him on performance. We should be embarrassed.
Are you Trent Barrett? Welcome aboard ..... you wont find much love here.

I was thinking exactly the same about my high school teaching days. He has no idea what it is to work for the advancement of others.

Was going to say the same thing as you and @niccipops - about the couple of decades I spent teaching swimming, a lot of it with special needs kids, a lot of it volunteer work or just enough to cover the fuel to get to the pool and back. Couldn’t tell you how many hours I spent printing, laminating, binding resources in my own time and at my own expense (or at my proper job @;)), or how much of my own $$$ I’ve spent on gear like dive sticks or pool toys, on the off chance it might be the thing that helps a particular kid make a breakthrough.

As for getting changed in the car - talk to me when you’re female and have had to do the wet swimwear to underwear swap, while trying to dry off at least a little bit, and not flash every bystander in the car park in the process...either that, or drive 40-odd minutes home in your wet gear. Whinging about having to change tshirts in the car, and you’re a bloke? Pathetic!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8