Bandwagon Over

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
So what Bandwagon will you attention deficit Gen Y mob choose now that the Socceroos have been put in their place?

The puerile antics of the empty-headed nymphs on Big Brother I'd imagine.

See you all again in 4 years' time (maybe).

I think you need another cup of Coffee Matas, these sleepless nights are catching up with you :)

How ironic that all those new found soccer fans are bleating about the result, without realising that it was a prime example of why the sport will never be successful in this country.

That penalty showcased soccer to perfection, a terminally boring 0-0 90 minutes decided by gutless officiating. It is a game for p**fs, where feigning injury and foul play is rewarded. It is pathetic. I watched the Portugal and Netherlands game the other morning, and I was embarrassed. How do you market something like that ??

Anyway we didn't deserve to win. Italy should never had had a player red carded, and even with 10 men they were all over us. They created opportunities at ease and probably should have won by 2 or 3 had they kept 11 men on the field. We just lack that final 5% of class that you need at this level. We don't have the one touch accuracy and the sublime timing needed.

One thing I couldn't work out was what the hell did Viduka contribute during this tournament. He is allegedly a striker, but I can't remember him "striking" a ball in anger, he was pussy footing around with back heels, too many touches and turning a modicum of space and time into a defensive curtain. He also had to be the most penalised Australian player as well, he must have given away half a dozen frees a game.

Anyway they need to do a lot more work to turn the game around in this country and FIFA need to get serious and toughen the game up.

nah, I have a couple of really important appointments and proposals to do today. I chose to sleep last night.

How ironic that all those new found soccer fans are bleating about the result, without realising that it was a prime example of why the sport will never be successful in this country.

That penalty showcased soccer to perfection, a terminally boring 0-0 90 minutes decided by gutless officiating. It is a game for p**fs, where feigning injury and foul play is rewarded. It is pathetic. I watched the Portugal and Netherlands game the other morning, and I was embarrassed. How do you market something like that ??

Anyway we didn't deserve to win. Italy should never had had a player red carded, and even with 10 men they were all over us. They created opportunities at ease and probably should have won by 2 or 3 had they kept 11 men on the field. We just lack that final 5% of class that you need at this level. We don't have the one touch accuracy and the sublime timing needed.

One thing I couldn't work out was what the hell did Viduka contribute during this tournament. He is allegedly a striker, but I can't remember him \"striking\" a ball in anger, he was pussy footing around with back heels, too many touches and turning a modicum of space and time into a defensive curtain. He also had to be the most penalised Australian player as well, he must have given away half a dozen frees a game.

Anyway they need to do a lot more work to turn the game around in this country and FIFA need to get serious and toughen the game up.

AMEN

Perfectly said and I couldn't agree more!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing I couldn't work out was what the hell did Viduka contribute during this tournament. He is allegedly a striker, but I can't remember him \"striking\" a ball in anger, he was pussy footing around with back heels, too many touches and turning a modicum of space and time into a defensive curtain. He also had to be the most penalised Australian player as well, he must have given away half a dozen frees a game.

Yawwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I love my League but it will never ever compete with football. 0-0 boring? What about how well the Italians defended? As for marketing the game no need – it is the most popular sport in the world. Sure the officiating has left something to be desired – is that any different from most of the sports in the world at the moment (think Russell Smith who is a match official in the best league comp in the world – the NRL is the league equivalent of a world cup i.e. the best of the best. There are as many bad decisions in the NRL as there are in the world cup.)

As for the play acting it is unfortunate but common place in all sports these days including league. Think about the big deal that was made about Thaiday not taking a dive on Sunday after burns hit him in the chops? Why is that? Because every sport is now doing it. It is naïve to think that football is the only sport where players fake injuries to seek an advantage – sure it is more prevalent but it is in every sport.

As for Dukes he is not going to score a lot of goals as the lone ranger up front. It is not the system we play – he brings the other players into attack (this is why our midfield scores goals i.e. only one goal from a striker in the whole tournament) Sometimes you can not judge a player on goals alone – you need to look at the runs he makes the space etc. Football is not always a game of statistics, you can not quantify what Dukes brings to the team. And I ask you this if not dukes then who?

Almost forgot next year is the Asian cup – another big tournament for us to aim for. Roll on the band wagon

Gee, I can't wait to see Australia versus Mongolia.

It'll bring back all those wonderful memories of how we used to send our Under 6 side over to Vanuatu to thrash the grateful locals 20-0.

This after all is the "World game".

It'll bring back all those wonderful memories of how we used to send our Under 6 side over to Vanuatu to thrash the grateful locals 20-0.

This after all is the \"World game\".

Spoken like a true football ignoramus.

Wonder if the League world cup can even being to draw as many people as this (television wise0)?

http://www.asiancup2004.com/en/news/index.asp?aid=36656&cid=1129&sqid=833&amth=8&ayr=2004

I am league mad and it is my number 1 game. However I reckon the sentiment of the original post and some other comments is out of order. Australia were gallant and played against a world power in a very interesting match - the heartbreak is one of the reasons why soccer is appealing. The different tactical variations are also a point of interest.

The real soccer fanatics cannot understand why anyone would like League and are so closed it isn't funny. I am not sure that as Manly supporters of a game basically played in two states in NSW, plus a few Kiwis and one two working class boofheads in England can criticize the game played in 205 countries in the World (though obviously not the major game in the USA, NZ and Aust!!!)

Refs are a joke in that game but are they any better in RL??

[quote author=Matabele]

This after all is the \"World game\".

Spoken like a true football ignoramus.

Wonder if the League world cup can even being to draw as many people as this (television wise0)?

http://www.asiancup2004.com/en/news/index.asp?aid=36656&cid=1129&sqid=833&amth=8&ayr=2004

[/quote]

Said like a true ignoramous of the higher things of culture.

So Britney Spears tops the music charts. Does that mean she's the equal of Bethoven?

Let's start the John Ribot vision of having little slanty eyed men watching The Greatest Game of all on the television sets in Asian shopping centres and then League taking over the world.

I don't buy the more skill theory of soccer (different game) but it is one of few games (hockey being another) where a weaker team can play a stronger team, be totally dominated for long periods and yet still win. There is a glorious uncertainty.

The English Premier League, where the game is played open and fast, is sensational entertainment and the passion and commitment of the crowds rivals anything seen here in other sports. Soccer has been poorly administered here and stayed as the game of ethnics (with their baggage) but as a world game it is fabulous, bar some of the refs (and that is the very problem with Rugby and League.)

As an event the World Cup is up there with the Olympics - sure there was an Aussie Bandwagon - but as theatre it was compelling. Poor intelligence on Kewell - not on crutches for blisters but a rather serious leg problem.

I will now retreat and go back to visions of sitting on a hill at Brookvale with about 16000 people (of interesting character) whilst the World Cup continues to play in front of hundreds of millions.

I'll jump on the Abo bandwagon with you Mata, How can we resist with the wisdom that Mundine has on offer and Brent Kite being victimised by the NSW selectors ;)

The game is populist crap that thrives in the Third World.

\"nuff said.

What is your definition of the Third world?

The most watched leagues are the EPL, Italian, German and Spanish leagues. Are they third world countires?

Am i taking the bait to much here?

Mata loves hanging out bait. His comments about Gen Xers say it all.

The irritating thing about the World Cup for me is that irritating twat we call a PM (how desperate are wee?) is making the loss about him in today's media and trying to capitalise on the bandwagon!!!

Mata loves hanging out bait. His comments about Gen Xers say it all.

The irritating thing about the World Cup for me is that irritating twat we call a PM (how desperate are wee?) is making the loss about him in today's media and trying to capitalise on the bandwagon!!!

He should stick to cricket (one of my favourite images, of all time, was when he tried to bowl a ball in India………..)

I am regular reader not a great poster here – looks like Mata has hooked another one…

If you look at hitory, then yes, Spain, Italy and even Germany are third world since the advent of soccer.

The English have a large rump of underclass that are the main demographic of soccer.

It is not the game of the discerning and intelligent elites.

If you look at hitory, then yes, Spain, Italy and even Germany are third world since the advent of soccer.

The English have a large rump of underclass that are the main demographic of soccer.

It is not the game of the discerning and intelligent elites.

Since when have you been a rah rah man? Does the tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows fit snugly over your wallaby jumper? ;)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4