Ballin's Defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Ballin's Defence

Whilst I only saw the last 20 mins of the PL on Saturday I was once again impressed with Ballin. He did a mountain of defensive work and plugged up the guts effectively. We didn't have a lot of ball. His dummy half work was also smooth and he continues to impress. Toovey rated his game (as said on MSE).

I would love to see him in first grade and hope that we retain him for next year.

Cuthbo was strong as well - it was more out wide where we were outclassed, though the game was winnable until the last 10 mins. Their kicking game was much better and we tired and made silly mistakes.

Ballin's Defence

i saw the whole of PL

Our defence in the middle was good. Ballin was great in that respect although his attack was a little down on his past games. Cuthbo was involved in both tries and set up the first one with a nice run around to create the overlap.

Like you said our defence out wide was non existent and they kept running through us all second half, once they realised the easiness of the metres out there they just ran from one side then the other.

Ballin's Defence

From MSE -

Coach Geoff Toovey ranked Matt Ballin and Nathan Tutt as the standouts.

“They did a lot of work.”

“We didn’t have much ball so we had to do a lot of tackling and a lot of defence, so they worked very hard.” Toovey said.

Ballin's Defence

I am hoping we keep him as an option for the future. Put a good PL in firsts and give them time to develop - don't expect them to be a star from game 1.

Ballin's Defence

he rated tutt as well though!!!

Ballin's Defence

i am of the opinion that a couple of games in firsts then some time in PL and an off season to work on deficiences is ideal.

I have my fingers crossed that cuthbo is earmarked for BK's role (metre eater in the backrow with some good speed and offloading ability) as he continues to play this role in PL.

If he is expected next year to play prop i will be fuming as he is not training as prop now. May as well play him on the wing or at fullback

Ballin's Defence

Corso Pete is still of the opinion that Ballin is ****.

How you like to change the truth for the sake of a headline comment. I would suggest that you re-read what I have said about Ballin. Not once I have said he is sh#t.

Ballin's Defence

Just implied it, particularly if you're alleging Dunley deserves to be ahead of him.

Ballin's Defence

Wrong again my respected foe. I have said and I am paraphrasing here:-

From what I have seen, which is generally only the second half of PL is:-

he dominates play when we are playing weaker opposition
he tends to go "missing" when the going gets tough
he is not consistent enough for NRL

However my main reason for speaking "against" Ballin is your consistent and boring claims for Ballin's inclusion in the NRL side based on what you saw in a trial match in February in a match against the Roosters, whose form by the way in 2007 has been nothing short of unspectacular.

I have no problem with people calling for any players inclusion in the top XVll, but I do expect that opinion is based on something more than one trial match.

Of course Ballin could be performing miracles in the 1st half of PL or at the away matches that I don't attend. But at least I preface my opinion with that rider.

So if there is an implication that anything that I have said indicates to you or any reader of these pages that Ballin is sh#t you are, again sadly mistaken.

Ballin's Defence

And my continued calls are based on the opinions of a good many football afficionados on this site, and others that don't post here, who regularly see BOTH halves of PL, home and away.

Ballin's Defence

Well I would suggest that you allow them to voice their own opinion rather than you becoming their mouthpiece.

I am pleased you did not refute my statement that I have not called Ballin sh#t.

Ballin's Defence

It was a summary.

You should know by now Pete that I am the most eloquent of posters here at silvertails and so it falls to me to enunciate the desires of the unwashed herd!

Ballin's Defence

It was a summary.

You should know by now Pete that I am the most eloquent of posters here at silvertails and so it falls to me to enunciate the desires of the unwashed herd!

OI...."unwashed herd"......i take offence to that.... I washed in the crick only last friday.

Ballin's Defence

Corso - to be fair to Ballin - you are pretty harsh on the bloke. I've seen him maybe 4-5 times this year alone, and in both halves, and frankly, he dominated those games.

As too Adam Cuthbertson - like Fluffy says - when he is allowed to play his preferred position (bloody Des !!!).

To be honest, if I heard Cuthbo was full time 2nd rower next year, I'd be wrapped. After 50 odd games in 1st's, I reckon he'd have the confidence he has in PL, and would start doing what he's doing now !!! As a 2nd rower that is.

PS: Fluffy - what's wrong with Cuthbo on the wing !!!

Ballin's Defence

Ballin has the potential to be a solid NRL player but if he is as good a prospect as you think Mata why hasnt he been snapped up by another club? Surely a player this good would have contracts being thrown at him.

Ballin's Defence

I'm pretty sure there has been a lot of interest in him. He's not a Monaghan explode the info all over the papers type of player.

(This is what I have been told anyway) - and for the record...by no-one in any official capacity.

Ballin's Defence

Even if he did whinge to the media it wouldnt matter as I doubt they would print it due to the fact he is a reserve grader. I dont think the journos are ringing him for quotes on a daily basis.

Anyway I hope we keep him as he deserves his shot and I hope it happens with us.

Ballin's Defence

I'm pretty sure there has been a lot of interest in him. He's not a Monaghan explode the info all over the papers type of player.

(This is what I have been told anyway) - and for the record...by no-one in any official capacity.

He's a premier league player, what paper would be interested in reporting his contract negotiations even if he was telling anyone who would listen. His celebrity doesn't go much further than the confines of Manly forums.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6