Back Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One definite thing Tooves needs to do is stop whinging about refs, concussion etc and realise this is the way it is and get on with it.

Constantly complaining while losing games doesn't help his cause at all. Bellamy after his team copped some dud calls against us just said his team didn't aim up in the game. Toovey harping on about the concussion rule after losing to the pathetic Dragons just looks ****ing ridiculous. You're in charge - performance starts and stops with you!

First rule of good management - focus on what you can control.

That schedule doesn't scare me, I know we can beat all those teams. Hopefully the players are all up for the games. I was expecting a slow start to the season but I didn't think we'd lose to the Dragons. How sad, to concede 1 try and lose.
I'll back tooves. I don't think anybody would be hurting from these losses more than he is.

Questions must be raised about how much influence Toovey had on our success and how much of it was driven by the players and the culture they had instilled in them from the Hasler era.

I know this might sound stupid but I give little credit to Toovey for our strong performances over recent seasons and think it was more the work of the senior players which saw us do so well.

Now that we are missing that strong culture, Tooveys lack of coaching is shining through for all to see.

I don't rate Toovey at all as a coach.

Only problem is that there is no suitable replacement being thrown up.

Arthur is good but he won't come. And there ain't no way I'd want a Nathan Brown, Anthony Griffin or Steve Price coaching us.

I agree. Toovey can't coach. Doesn't have the same kind of relationships the players have with other top coaches like Robinson, Bellamy, Hasler, McGuire.

Last years performance was driven by the desire to win by the players and how they were coached by dez from previous years.

This year we look a mess. Poor player selections, defense moving side ways, attack that is too pedestrian. The players are not playing as a team and the coach has to take some of that responsibility. Without DCE this year, not sure we would of scored a try? This is the time that Toovey needs to show us he can coach. Still a long way to go, hopefully he can turn this season around

One definite thing Tooves needs to do is stop whinging about refs, concussion etc and realise this is the way it is and get on with it.

Constantly complaining while losing games doesn't help his cause at all. Bellamy after his team copped some dud calls against us just said his team didn't aim up in the game. Toovey harping on about the concussion rule after losing to the pathetic Dragons just looks ****ing ridiculous. You're in charge - performance starts and stops with you!

First rule of good management - focus on what you can control.
Exactly. Sick of his whinging. The doctor taking DCE with 3 mins to go because he was worried about his safety didn't lose us the match. The unforced errors and execution in attack did. Fix that!

I agree. Toovey can't coach. Doesn't have the same kind of relationships the players have with other top coaches like Robinson, Bellamy, Hasler, McGuire.

Last years performance was driven by the desire to win by the players and how they were coached by dez from previous years.

This year we look a mess. Poor player selections, defense moving side ways, attack that is too pedestrian. The players are not playing as a team and the coach has to take some of that responsibility. Without DCE this year, not sure we would of scored a try? This is the time that Toovey needs to show us he can coach. Still a long way to go, hopefully he can turn this season around
Not to mention wasting a guy on the bench so he can play for a couple of minutes at the end of the game.

Our management in an attempt to re sign Foran has had a failed attempt to replace him already, and the players know it, which makes Tooves a lame duck.
If true, that management sounded out Arrhur, then we are in a true hole.

Behind every great team is a great back office.

Questions must be raised about how much influence Toovey had on our success and how much of it was driven by the players and the culture they had instilled in them from the Hasler era.

I know this might sound stupid but I give little credit to Toovey for our strong performances over recent seasons and think it was more the work of the senior players which saw us do so well.

Now that we are missing that strong culture, Tooveys lack of coaching is shining through for all to see.

I don't rate Toovey at all as a coach.

Only problem is that there is no suitable replacement being thrown up.

Arthur is good but he won't come. And there ain't no way I'd want a Nathan Brown, Anthony Griffin or Steve Price coaching us.
You are kidding aren't you?

In the last three seasons he has taken the team to a grand final, made the finals in the following two years all whilst having to endure boardroom issues and splitting of factions, senior players rumblings and player injuries whilst trying to coach a team.

Could any coach today have done any better? Do you think Des would have done any better?

Something Hasler used to do regularly....
But we had a better pack back then with more 80 minute guys. Now we have an average pack and most need to be rotated. Especially when there are injuries during the game.

If true, that management sounded out Arrhur, then we are in a true hole.

Behind every great team is a great back office.
From the Manly Daily on the weekend - tidying up the juniors is a good move but the pay off there is a way off. We need some attention on the senior group, but its good to see Joe Kelly is doing something with his time:

RECRUITMENT LIFT

WITH a minimum of fuss and some careful planning, the junior rugby league recruitment system at the Sea Eagles has received a huge lift in the past three months.

The first step in the program, fully backed by the Sea Eagles owners and chief executive Joe Kelly, was the selection and appointment of Jacky McCauley from the Christian Brothers club as the full-time junior rugby league administrator.

McCauley is the point of contact with all clubs in the junior league to ensure every youngster is given the opportunity to take the step into the junior development squads and eventually the junior representative teams.

The idea of building from the bottom up at the Sea Eagles came from a group of former players, including Brett Fulton and Jack Elsegood.

Fulton personally organised a $45,000 sponsorship which ensured every youngster training in the 13-, 14- and 15-year development squad were given a Sea Eagles shirt to train in and included in training squads coached by former Sea Eagles players.

He is chairman of the panel which will co-ordinate and develop the junior squads.

The rest of the panel includes Elsegood, McCauley, Bob Fulton and myself.

Working with my lifelong friend Bozo Fulton again has been a joy.

Nothing has changed. He wants everything done yesterday.

But his amazing contacts are invaluable and already Manly have signed six of the best 15-year-olds in the state to complement our junior teams going forward.

Bozo has helped build the Sea Eagles several times in his career and he has answered a call for assistance from the owners and Joe Kelly to lend his support.

The cold hard facts are that the junior reps have been virtually neglected in recent times.

The district football club has spent $150,000 buying shares in the Sea Eagles rather than spend any money on the juniors in the past two years.

That attitude must change.

That schedule doesn't scare me, I know we can beat all those teams. Hopefully the players are all up for the games. I was expecting a slow start to the season but I didn't think we'd lose to the Dragons. How sad, to concede 1 try and lose.
I'll back tooves. I don't think anybody would be hurting from these losses more than he is.
In the past that draw wouldn't have scared me either but with the way we are playing and the injuries we have optimistically the next few rounds aint really looking crash hot are they? I can't see us winning more than 2 of those 6 games at best. Don't get me wrong, I back Tooves as well, I would love him to stay. I am just sayin' that footy is performance business and with a poor end to last year a very poor start to this year as well as the issue of retaining key players (which is probably behind his control) plus all the whispers about his "man management" problems I think the owners will shaft him. Nothing would **** me more.

It seems to me that certain members of this forum are the ones who have the knives out for Tooves. It would be interesting to know from what source are they getting their information from.

At what point have the Penns or Joe Kelly mentioned Tooves will be ousted from his current position during the season. Is the source from the media, which is unreliable and puerly speculation, or from the forum members themselves based on what they have read and seen.

Even if we beat Raiders this week the pressure on Tooves in the following weeks will be huge. After Raiders we play
  • Panthers (A)
  • Bulldogs (A)
  • Storm (A)
  • Knights (H)
  • Panthers .
With current injuries we won't beat the Faders and I can't see one single win ( based on current form and injuries) from the above so try 1/10!!

We will be lucky to avoid the spoon this year , although I think we will , probably finish 13th / 14th.

2V will be under huge pressure , regardless of if its fact or not!!

It seems to me that certain members of this forum are the ones who have the knives out for Tooves. It would be interesting to know from what source are they getting their information from.

At what point have the Penns or Joe Kelly mentioned Tooves will be ousted from his current position during the season. Is the source from the media, which is unreliable and puerly speculation, or from the forum members themselves based on what they have read and seen.
The fountain of all that is true is the source ..... "The Daily Telegraph" and Phil "f*cken" Rothfield

I wonder if Kelly has come in ala Gould at Penrith & decided that this club needs the toxic environment & those responsible cleaned out. I get the feeling from that article on the juniors that they are tearing it down and trying to build from the juniors up. It'll take a couple of years of pain at firsts level but if it succeeds then I will congratulate them.

With current injuries we won't beat the Faders and I can't see one single win ( based on current form and injuries) from the above so try 1/10!!

We will be lucky to avoid the spoon this year , although I think we will , probably finish 13th / 14th.

I was trying to be a bit optimistic but I kind of agree with you ..... 1/10 this year and 2/7 end of last year gives plenty of ammo for anyone managing the club to have a crack at him.

Well Ricky has handed us a legup for next week basically shting on his current roster and aspiring to replace them with the rorters roster.

It's not getting the knives out, but a coach has a responsibility for the performance of the team and even with injuries, if we can't score more than 4 bloody points against the Dragons then questions have to be asked. This weekend was the tipping point for me...

But we had a better pack back then with more 80 minute guys. Now we have an average pack and most need to be rotated. Especially when there are injuries during the game.

The bench has been getting more time the last 2 weeks, avereging over 30 minutes each so it seems Tooves is listening

You are kidding aren't you?

In the last three seasons he has taken the team to a grand final, made the finals in the following two years all whilst having to endure boardroom issues and splitting of factions, senior players rumblings and player injuries whilst trying to coach a team.

Could any coach today have done any better? Do you think Des would have done any better?

He inherited a star team. Dez took a team from the northern eagles days and every year improved the team, going from 5th, to 2nd to winning the GF and building a culture.
He then went and coached the dogs, who the year before were wooden spooner's and turned them into minor premiers in one year.

Toovey still has a quality team on paper but he is not getting the most out of the team. A true test of a good coach is taking an average team, or good team and turning them into a great team. Dez, Bellamy, Robinson, Mcguire, Cleary etc have all done this. Toovey is yet to prove he can do this. There are question marks over his relationship's with the players and whether he can take their game to another level, whether he can turn the avg joe type player into a solid regular performer, he's tactical approach to winning games, how he pumps the players up every week so they turn up with their heads on, if there are problems with attitude - how he goes about fixing this, if players are making too many errors, whether in attack or defense - can he fix these? All these questions are still to be answered. He has had a very good side to coach, right now they are under performing and this is the true test to see how he can turn this season around.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6