Back in the limelight again?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/darrell-williams-accepted-apology-from-manly-co-owner-rick-penn-before-he-made-racial-complaint/story-fni3fbgz-1226656549537

Douche supreme if true
Needs to be kicked off the board if this is factual
which coming from the tele you never know

cherry_poppins said:
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/darrell-williams-accepted-apology-from-manly-co-owner-rick-penn-before-he-made-racial-complaint/story-fni3fbgz-1226656549537

Douche supreme if true

The fact that this come from throthfield means that Zorba was behind it.
Zorba is Rick Penns BROTHER INLAW. It also said Penn did not Know that useing the term boy was racial remark. Rubbish

lovefooty said:
cherry_poppins said:

Douche supreme if true

Zorba is Rick Penns BROTHER INLAW. It also said Penn did not Know that useing the term boy was a racial remark. Rubbish.
The telecrap was always going to try and spin this. If penn said he offerd a apology and then said I dont know what the apologies for, it is only williams that can except it not other board members.
I say let the commission deal with this they know what there doing.

Here we go again....another week in the papers.
Really getting boring now from both the Telecrap and our board.

Whatever the truth is someone should be hauled over the hot coals for this

I think all involved should go have a steamy sauna together and see if they can find what they like about each other. I do not want to see the photographs.

Well, can't be both so which is it?
Kue said:
so I'm struggling to believe he was so gutted and convinced it was a used as a racial slur that he simply can't work in his position if the Penn's keep theirs
or
Kue said:
I'm not suggesting an outsider has the right to gauge a persons anger at a racial slur directed towards them

Kue if you agree "it happens all the damn time unreported and these particular instances are a storm in a teacup in comparison to racism seen elsewhere" then don't you agree it is time that it stopped? Now is the time, not because of what the girl did, but because on this occasion Goodes was man enough to say, 'No we don't have to put up with this any more'. As a result of his stand the issue finally has some momentum and there is the possibility of a major change in awareness in this country.

Is it really any more complicated than this?

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
The pathetic attempts to justify the slur, and to attack Williams for simply taking a stand, reveal the underlying racist attitudes which still plague Australia.

Let's assume the media-reported facts are actual facts. I appreciate this is a huge jump in logic.

Can we agree that it is strength to take a stand when there's a cheap shot on the footy field?

So can we agree that it is strength to take a stand when there's a cheap shot off the footy field too?

And sweeping cheap shots under the carpet never stops the cheap shots from recurring, does it?

This was a cheap shot. Can there be any dispute? I've not heard a single plausible explanation which suggests what was said was anything but a cheap shot.

Williams response is a response of strength. Can there be any dispute? People of character act with courage.

In slang, in different situations the term "boy" could be used:
1. As a racist slur
2. As a non-racist derogatory term
3. As a lighthearted term of endearment

A professional with emotional intelligence would never risk using "boy" as a term of endearment except where there is extremely high trust and rapport. Blind Freddy knows this rapport simply does not exist within the board. Blind Freddy also knows that when used against a non-caucasian, it has a long, long history of being a racist slur.

So clearly saying "boy" is unprofessional, as well as showing a lack of emotional intelligence, as well as being normally understood in this situation as a racial slur.

Having erred in saying it, it is up to the Penns to ensure the error is immediately rectified. And to take steps to stop it recurring. The failure to do this exhibits further unprofessionalism and further lack of emotional intelligence. And, it seems, entrenched racist attitudes.

Last edited by a moderator:
niccipops said:
I think all involved should go have a steamy sauna together and see if they can find what they like about each other. I do not want to see the photographs.

Even if you sneak a peek with one eye open you wont see much in those photographs. What with all the steam and everything :)

Last night I was watching an old spicks and specks episode. Reginald D Hunter called Rob Mills a boy on the show. Is that bad ??Made me chuckle considering this thread. As I laughed , am I bad ???

lovefooty said:
cherry_poppins said:

Douche supreme if true

Zorba is Rick Penns BROTHER INLAW. It also said Penn did not Know that useing the term boy was racial remark. Rubbish

lovefooty said:
cherry_poppins said:

Douche supreme if true

Zorba is Rick Penns BROTHER INLAW. It also said Penn did not Know that useing the term boy was a racial remark. Rubbish.
The telecrap was always going to try and spin this. If penn said he offerd a apology and then said I dont know what the apologies for, it is only williams that can except it not other board members.
I say let the commission deal with this they know what there doing.

I have to say I didn't know the term boy was racist before this came to light.
Next thing you know they will say **** is a racial slur.

jbb/james said:
Last night I was watching an old spicks and specks episode. Reginald D Hunter called Rob Mills a boy on the show. Is that bad ??Made me chuckle considering this thread. As I laughed , am I bad ???

No. Rob Mills is caucasian, and they can be called anything at all.

I'm sure Darrell has been called a lot worse on the footy field...

Penn has apologised, that should be the end of the matter and everyone should just move on. All this publicity is only damaging the Manly brand.

The standard white caucasian male defence of their own racial/sexual vilification is to claim that they are themselves racially/sexually vilified. i.e Playing the victim card.

Does this hold any water in actual reality? Try an experiment:

List the derogatory sexists terms which would typically degrade women based on their actual sex.

Now list the derogatory sexists terms which would typically degrade men based on their actual sex.

Count the lists. Do the same for racial terms.

Three possibilities:
1. If I used the term "boy" towards a non-white-caucasian, I would fully expect it to be taken as a racial slur.
2. If I used it against a white-caucasian, I would fully expect it to be taken as a non-racist slur.
3. If I used it towards a close mate where there's high trust and rapport, I would expect it to be taken as a term of endearment.

I find it hard to imagine a professional, possessing emotional intelligence, referring to a colleague as “boy” under any professional circumstances, even more so when relationships are strained. Who set these ground rules that says this is OK? Some school kid?

The Chairman’s role is to set the emotional climate, and ground rules, for clean professional conduct. No wonder there’s problems if this type of conduct is allowed in board meetings.

Three possibilities:
1. If I used the term "boy" towards a non-white-caucasian, I would fully expect it to be taken as a racial slur.
2. If I used it against a white-caucasian, I would fully expect it to be taken as a non-racist slur.
3. If I used it towards a close mate where there's high trust and rapport, I would expect it to be taken as a term of endearment.

I find it hard to imagine a professional, possessing emotional intelligence, referring to a colleague as “boy” under any professional circumstances, even more so when relationships are strained. If someone is being singled out with the term “boy”, obviously the risks are high. So who set these ground rules that says this is OK? Some school kid?

The Chairman’s role is to set the emotional climate, and ground rules, for clean professional conduct. No wonder there’s problems if this type of conduct is allowed in board meetings. Hopefully the Chairman lifts his game.

DYEagle said:

Penn has apologised, that should be the end of the matter and everyone should just move on. All this publicity is only damaging the Manly brand.

Again!

MissKate said:
DYEagle said:

Again!

STILL

Two different sides of the story.

Darrell Williams accepted apology from Manly co-owner Rick Penn before he made racial complaint by: Phil Rothfield
June 04, 2013 12:00AM

THE majority owner of the Manly Sea Eagles, Rick Penn, had already apologised to former player and board member Darrell Williams before Williams lodged his racial complaint to the NRL.
The respected businessman apologised at Manly's last board meeting, unaware that the term "boy" could be seen as an offensive racist remark.

"When Darrell explained the context in which he interpreted the use of the term 'boy' by me, I unreservedly apologised," Penn said.

"The entire board including Darrell voted unanimously that the minute (from the April 4 meeting) be dropped and the board accepted that there was a misunderstanding and that the incident was closed."

Penn, one of Australia's most esteemed businessmen, has been deeply hurt by the racial vilification allegations but is getting support from the likes of coach Geoff Toovey, who phoned him yesterday.

"To suggest what they have is the most scurrilous personal attack I have ever experienced," Penn said.

The incident is the latest drama to emerge from within Manly's dysfunctional board room.

The Penn family is the majority share holder and has spent millions to save the club from bankruptcy.

In other news, Manly fullback Brett Stewart is unlikely to push his case for NSW selection for State of Origin game two, with his back injury healing slower than first hoped.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/darrell-williams-accepted-apology-from-manly-co-owner-rick-penn-before-he-made-racial-complaint/story-fndujljl-1226656549537

The Sydney Morning Herald

Letter by Darrell Williams
Date June 1, 2013 (1) Read later Darrell Williams

In the current climate of news stories pertaining to the on- going issue of racism, I find it necessary to voice my disappointment at a personal attack from within the confines of a Boardroom, that I too have been subjected to the same humiliating double standards constituting the use of racist remarks.

As a Board member of the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Ltd, I expected the formality of the Boardroom to provide a haven and protection of sorts from any form of racism. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

At a meeting of the MWSE Board on the 4th April 2013, held at the Narrabeen offices of the MWSE, I was subjected to a remark I took as being personally offensive from Mr. Rick Penn of Penn Sport, one of the co-owners of the MWSE.

In the “matters arising” segment of the Board meeting during a conversation concerning a newspaper article quoting the MWSE Chairman Scott Penn, Rick Penn displayed an obvious wish to close down the conversation. As the conversation was directed at Scott's unauthorised conversation with a media outlet that centred, not for the first time, on Scott's disregard for our media protocols in place to prevent this from happening, Rick began into a tirade against those members questioning Scott's responsibilities or lack thereof.

As I had driven this conversation, Rick took particular aim at me and uttered the words, “Listen here BOY!” or “you have no idea what you're talking about BOY!”

I immediately interjected and pointed out to the Chairman Scott Penn, that I took offense to the word (boy) in the context that it was used by Rick and I would not tolerate it being said again.

Unfortunately, Scoot Penn chose to defend Rick, his father, instead of cautioning Rick about his remark.

I took further exception to Rick, in trying to justify his language, when he also uttered, “What are you talking about, I deal with your kind/people all the time”.

I do note, that at the time, fellow Board member, Bob Reilly, also took exception to the racist comment and word used by Rick Penn.

I am in no doubt whatsoever, that the word, boy, was used to demean me in the extreme within the context that Rick Penn intended it too.

I regard the word, boy, as used in this context to be demeaning, derogatory, discriminatory, xenophobic and racist. I am insulted and upset at its use toward me and did not particularly like the intent to talk down to me as an inferior person.

After my strong reaction to this insult, Rick Penn did not apologise or attempt to pacify my outrage in any manner whatsoever. I am equally disturbed at the reluctance of Scott Penn to censure his father Rick Penn for such a serious breach of behavioural conduct at this level. I am further upset that the Chairman's lack of action has done little to prevent this from happening again.

This situation reinforces my resolve that I continue to hold “NO CONFIDENCE” in Scott as MWSE Chairman and further justifies 2 previous occasions of a vote of no confidence in him as Chairman by the majority of the Board.

I find it timely to write about this now, as the MWSE Boardhave met again on the 23rd May 2013, the matter was raised and there has still been no offer of apology from Rick Penn directly to me.

Compounding the situation from my view, was the defence of Rick's actions by the Chairman, Scott Penn.

Unfortunately, they argued that they did not find the remark offensive and did not know 'what the fuss was about'. This archaic reasoning displays a complete lack of acknowledgement and understanding that it is not they that get to determine what is racist or not, but the person (in this case, me) on the receiving end of the racist remark.

Lastly, I am forced to speak out on this incident as it relates to my role as a Board member with both the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Ltd and the Manly Warringah Rugby League Football Club.

I will not lie down after being treated so disrespectfully. This mater needs to be heard.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/letter-by-darrell-williams-20130601-2nima.html#ixzz2VD4JuxKj

Without detracting from the important message, and I honestly say that because I am scared and confused at any topic which involves a racist slur

Can anyone give me an example how A white Australian male can be racially vilified. Are there any recorded instances. I dont need the meaning. Im just wondering if it has ever happened. What would the media or employer see as racism toward this demographic. Since its out there lets use the opportunity to better understand the plight of all

Not being a smart arse

Rex said:
Three possibilities:

I find it hard to imagine a professional, possessing emotional intelligence, referring to a colleague as “boy” under any professional circumstances, even more so when relationships are strained. If someone is being singled out with the term “boy”, obviously the risks are high. So who set these ground rules that says this is OK? Some school kid?

The Chairman’s role is to set the emotional climate, and ground rules, for clean professional conduct. No wonder there’s problems if this type of conduct is allowed in board meetings. Hopefully the Chairman lifts his game.

On the first point, Gus uses the term 'boy' regularly during telecasts, no matter the colour skin of the player he refers to. To make the definitive statement that it would be a racist slur, is part of the problem in this debate.

Older blokes grew up around the term more in a 'elder/junior' relationship, sometimes in a derogatory manner towards the young bull, and I can see perhaps how Penn Snr is surprised at the offence to Williams, based on the perceived racism.

That the meaning of a phrase or word now changes context depending on what one colour said to another colour, will keep debates of this matter unresolved for a very long time.

jbb/james said:
Without detracting from the important message, and I honestly say that because I am scared and confused at any topic which involves a racist slur

Can anyone give me an example how A white Australian male can be racially vilified. Are there any recorded instances. I dont need the meaning. Im just wondering if it has ever happened. What would the media or employer see as racism toward this demographic. Since its out there lets use the opportunity to better understand the plight of all

Not being a smart arse

Go play footy up in the Top End and you learn the context of some of the comments sent your way by opposition Aboriginal players, based on your colour.

Some Elders stamp it out quickly, while other communities tend to be more tolerent of their players' colourful language to non-Aboriginal people.

To be fair, most of it is in the indigenous tongue so you need a local to later tell you what you were called.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6