Assistant Coach

I’m all for the outside the box thing. I do think it helps having a Manly connection though. It that vain, Michael O’Connor and/or Phil Blake as assistant(s)?

Both have some coaching experience in Rugby, O’Connor 6 years as Wallabies 7’s coach and Blake was highly regarded in Schute Shield coaching circles and was an assistant to the Wallabies. Both Manly men though who might bring some different ideas.

Just like @Mark from Brisbane the Penns put the past to one side and brought back a Manly man to lead us out of the Trent rubble.
That to me shows they heard the message from a lot a fans (and commentators) that a Manly man has to coach/lead Manly.
I don't think we have a lot of experienced former Manly players out there doing their coaching apprenticeships so I have to think they will look to blood one of our own in the assistant coaching role.
The MWSE website used to list the club officials but I can't seem to find this info anymore. I hear Monaghan and Ballin mentioned here from time to time. Is Chad Randall still involved with the side?
Monaghan was assistant coach at Catalins Dragons for a couple of years so he has some experience. If he can overcome the language barrier and actually step up and coach a French side when their coach left, who knows, he might just be the one to motiver l'équipe as assistant coach. :)

I'm not keen on O'Connor, he was part of the Super League raids signing players up for News Ltd which finically killed our club.
Totally get that and don’t blame anyone who holds that view. However if he interviewed as a top candidate I’m happy to move on. Being a current Wallaby selector he would be privy to some emerging Rugby talent as well.

I'd be happy with the Walker Brothers. This club -- and RL in general -- needs an injection of fresh ideas. We, in particular, have lost the 'Manly flair'. We have become stodgy, boring and too timid to try to attack.
Whoever we get I hope he/she is a free-thinker who prises attack over completion rates and statistics.

Cowboys love Cartwright after he was assistant in 2015, Lancini in particular. And he holds a lot of sway up there. I wouldn’t rule it out.

Anyone who thinks our issues are our assistant coaches is delusional.We have three obvious issues

1. Top heavy roster salary cap wise which leads to
2. Reserve graders filling second tier playing roles
which is exacerbated by
3. Lack of confidence in highly rated youth to replace those reserve graders.

Several posters are blaming our roster for our dire results. I'm not so sure.
At the beginning of the season I'm sure the consensus was that we had the strongest roster in years, with all positions covered with the exception of hooker - thanks to Knifegate.
Like you all I studied the various club rosters. I thought we were top four material, on paper.
I looked at the 'Riff: Na, haven't heard of many of them; too inexperienced; full of young locals, and look they've signed Api who had his own popular Crappy Api section on Silvertails -- he's going to be their No. 1 hooker and he couldn't get a starting spot at Manly? And lol, Barrett is going to be their assistant coach. . .
I looked at Brisbane: Wow, they have cornered the market for the biggest, baddest, and most talented forwards in the comp. They will steamroll every other team. . . .
I looked at Illawarra: What an impressive roster. Real steel in the forwards and exceptional speed, skill and flair in the backline. . . .
In recent weeks I've watched Easts and Melbourne ravaged with injuries, and yet their reserve strength has kept them winning. And I wonder: how much better must their coaches be than ours?

Cowboys love Cartwright after he was assistant in 2015, Lancini in particular. And he holds a lot of sway up there. I wouldn’t rule it out.

Anyone who thinks our issues are our assistant coaches is delusional.We have three obvious issues

1. Top heavy roster salary cap wise which leads to
2. Reserve graders filling second tier playing roles
which is exacerbated by
3. Lack of confidence in highly rated youth to replace those reserve graders.

you hit the nail on the head. Doesn’t help that part of the top heavy roster only plays a handful of games a year.

Gifty would be a great choice, he had more creativity in his little finger than our current 6,7 and 9 and he would add so much value as he really gets the culture of our club!

Love in these sort of the threads how people just name former great players...

Being a great on the field doesn't necessarily mean you make a coach
If you are referring to Gift by this, he was credited by his team mates as coming up with a lot of the plays they used in one of our golden era's. One of the reasons they called him Gift.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2