ARKO SPEAKS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Tomorrows back page
Story to follow when up
image.jpg

NRL off-contract players: Manly Sea Eagles call in Ken Arthurson to stop DCE, Foran leaving

Daly Cherry-Evans remains unsigned at Manly

HE IS known as the Godfather at Manly, now Ken Arthurson’s advice to his beloved Sea Eagles is simple: do whatever it takes to keep Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans in the family.

And the man regarded as one of rugby league’s sharpest ever administrators also has a plan to counter big spending rivals like Parramatta and the Bulldogs.

“I’d be giving them a bit of a scare,” Arthurson said.

“I’d be chasing some of their top players and offering them huge money.

“I mean, it is not one-way traffic.

“I would be ripping into them if they were trying to pinch my players.”

Manly chairman Scott Penn promised early last November that he would work 24/7 to have the superstar halves locked up before Christmas.

But here we are just four weeks out from the start of the new NRL season and it appears negotiations have never been further apart.

Manly 'Godfather' Ken Arthurson has some sage advice for coach Geoff Toovey.

Penn recently called on Arthurson, Bob Fulton and Steve Menzies to attend a special meeting to seek their advice on how to put an end to the club’s constant infighting.

On the subject of Foran and Cherry-Evans, Arthurson was adamant the possibility of losing the dynamic duo has revived memories of when he lost his own bidding war with the late Kerry Packer to keep Fulton at Manly.

Arthurson still rates Fulton the best rugby league player to pull on a boot but he also thinks Foran and Cherry-Evans could go down as one of the great halves partnerships.

“I think it is an absolute must that Manly retain their services,” Arthurson said.

“And I mean this sincerely, I really think either of those young men would be foolish to break up the partnership because they will end up being one of the strongest halves combinations this game has ever produced if they stay together.

“As you can imagine, I tried desperately to keep Bob Fulton.

“Apart from the fact he is the best player we have ever had I just about brought the bloke up.

“But Kerry Packer was a pretty hard bloke to beat when you are talking about money.

“That was an awful blow to me.

Manly CEO Joe Kelly and chairman Scott Penn have their hands full with contract negotiations with their star halves.

“I would be moving heaven and earth to try and keep these two players.”

Asked if the club could realistically afford to keep both, Arthurson said: “I think it is imperative. They should do whatever they can.

“And it’s not just the club who have a lot to consider. The players have too. It is not all about financial rewards. It is also about living where you like living and where you enjoy the lifestyle.

“And sometimes when you sit down and work it out there is not always a great deal in it (financially). I think the players would be wise to stay together.”

Arthurson said the club was working hard to put several years of boardroom squabbling behind them.

He said of his recent meeting with the Penn family and new chief executive Joe Kelly: “About a month ago Manly asked me to attend a special meeting with the owners and management to give my views and hopefully to get the club back on track in respect to all this internal bickering.

Willie Mason under investigation for anti-social incident

external

“They were just seeking my views.

“In the past any disagreements we may have had, we always kept in-house.

“We never washed our dirty linen in public and that is one of the things people knew about Manly.

“(The future of the halves) wasn’t discussed at that meeting.

“But I must say (the new owners and board) are really trying desperately to do a good job.”

Arthurson also backed Geoff Toovey to stay on as coach.

“I have always had a very high opinion of Toovey. He was a great player and let’s face it, in the time he has been coach he has been pretty successful,” Arthurson said.

“It would be difficult to be critical of his coaching.”

Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran are seen as key planks in Manly’s future.

Last edited:
I love the guy! I cant think of any other administrator that the fans hold in such high regard as we do with our Ken Arthurson. Peter Moore was probably the only other guy that had the same impact on his club.

Arko was pretty lucky that there wasn't a salary cap back then, and we had plenty to offer.

We have no money 2 raid other clubs at this stage unless we are not being told the truth about these 2 players. Have they already "indicated" 2 the club that they will be leaving? If either or both leave I have no doubt we will raid other clubs.

This is music to my ears....raid other teams! It's simplicity personified but it is an absolute must in this constant war we are having with our players (and especially our halves). Parramatta you want Foz? Let's start countering with offers on Hopoate to get his value up. DCE to the Titans lets push up the value of Sezer.

With all the chat in recent months (and considering we do have the best halves combination in the league) it's hard not to see us as victims in all of this. But this attitude from Arko is just superb, let's get on the offensive here.

Talk about the Godfather....he rocks!

Tomorrows back page
Story to follow when up
View attachment 969
NRL off-contract players: Manly Sea Eagles call in Ken Arthurson to stop DCE, Foran leaving

Daly Cherry-Evans remains unsigned at Manly

HE IS known as the Godfather at Manly, now Ken Arthurson’s advice to his beloved Sea Eagles is simple: do whatever it takes to keep Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans in the family.

And the man regarded as one of rugby league’s sharpest ever administrators also has a plan to counter big spending rivals like Parramatta and the Bulldogs.

“I’d be giving them a bit of a scare,” Arthurson said.

“I’d be chasing some of their top players and offering them huge money.

“I mean, it is not one-way traffic.

“I would be ripping into them if they were trying to pinch my players.”

Manly chairman Scott Penn promised early last November that he would work 24/7 to have the superstar halves locked up before Christmas.

But here we are just four weeks out from the start of the new NRL season and it appears negotiations have never been further apart.

Manly 'Godfather' Ken Arthurson has some sage advice for coach Geoff Toovey.

Penn recently called on Arthurson, Bob Fulton and Steve Menzies to attend a special meeting to seek their advice on how to put an end to the club’s constant infighting.

On the subject of Foran and Cherry-Evans, Arthurson was adamant the possibility of losing the dynamic duo has revived memories of when he lost his own bidding war with the late Kerry Packer to keep Fulton at Manly.

Arthurson still rates Fulton the best rugby league player to pull on a boot but he also thinks Foran and Cherry-Evans could go down as one of the great halves partnerships.

“I think it is an absolute must that Manly retain their services,” Arthurson said.

“And I mean this sincerely, I really think either of those young men would be foolish to break up the partnership because they will end up being one of the strongest halves combinations this game has ever produced if they stay together.

“As you can imagine, I tried desperately to keep Bob Fulton.

“Apart from the fact he is the best player we have ever had I just about brought the bloke up.

“But Kerry Packer was a pretty hard bloke to beat when you are talking about money.

“That was an awful blow to me.

Manly CEO Joe Kelly and chairman Scott Penn have their hands full with contract negotiations with their star halves.

“I would be moving heaven and earth to try and keep these two players.”

Asked if the club could realistically afford to keep both, Arthurson said: “I think it is imperative. They should do whatever they can.

“And it’s not just the club who have a lot to consider. The players have too. It is not all about financial rewards. It is also about living where you like living and where you enjoy the lifestyle.

“And sometimes when you sit down and work it out there is not always a great deal in it (financially). I think the players would be wise to stay together.”

Arthurson said the club was working hard to put several years of boardroom squabbling behind them.

He said of his recent meeting with the Penn family and new chief executive Joe Kelly: “About a month ago Manly asked me to attend a special meeting with the owners and management to give my views and hopefully to get the club back on track in respect to all this internal bickering.

Willie Mason under investigation for anti-social incident

external

“They were just seeking my views.

“In the past any disagreements we may have had, we always kept in-house.

“We never washed our dirty linen in public and that is one of the things people knew about Manly.

“(The future of the halves) wasn’t discussed at that meeting.

“But I must say (the new owners and board) are really trying desperately to do a good job.”

Arthurson also backed Geoff Toovey to stay on as coach.

“I have always had a very high opinion of Toovey. He was a great player and let’s face it, in the time he has been coach he has been pretty successful,” Arthurson said.

“It would be difficult to be critical of his coaching.”

Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran are seen as key planks in Manly’s future.
Great stuff Arko, keep Arcing up we need good heads around the club. Unfortunately the tin man couldn't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag so I don't hold much hope for us keeping them. If the board want to keep disagreements in-house they should get rid of Zorba, he's a cancer to the club who rates himself far too highly.

if we were to raid parra for their best player we'd have to go after choc or hoppa and bring them home......

We have no money 2 raid other clubs at this stage unless we are not being told the truth about these 2 players. Have they already "indicated" 2 the club that they will be leaving? If either or both leave I have no doubt we will raid other clubs.

We do have the money to make offers. That money is future money and those discussions with the managers of players from other clubs about a future potential contract would be conditional.

There is nothing stopping us doing our utmost to dissuade other clubs from making inflated offers to our players and indeed, we have an obligation to fight fire with fire when it comes to contract negotiations. If we are not in the game we are already behind the race. Go hard & make them regret approaching any Manly player.

Do you ever wonder how some Clubs can make offers for every player on the market and most that are not. It would appear that they have a cap of $10m. Maybe they are feeding the agents who are putting pressure on the Clubs. Clubs then have to pay more of their salary cap to retain star players! Just a thought. This strategy would weaken opposition clubs.

Is it worth retaining a star (or two) and then having to deprive 10 team mates of their true worth? Would the value of having the star be worth the lowering of team harmony?

I think there is a fair difference between clubs making actual offers and those who are "reported" to in the media

We do have the money to make offers. That money is future money and those discussions with the managers of players from other clubs about a future potential contract would be conditional.

There is nothing stopping us doing our utmost to dissuade other clubs from making inflated offers to our players and indeed, we have an obligation to fight fire with fire when it comes to contract negotiations. If we are not in the game we are already behind the race. Go hard & make them regret approaching any Manly player.
I meant we don't have the money until and if we are told that 1 both or neither are leaving. It sounds great in theory we make massive offer 2 player A player A accepts than we don't have the funds to re sign the halves. I love Arko but with due respect he had it easier NO salary cap and we had a lot of money when he was running our club. It doesn't fill me with confidence that the owner had to contact an 85 year old 2 ask about these problems. Truth be told Penn and Kelly both seem like nice guy's but so far have delivered nothing on the re signings.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4