[Resurrected] Api or Parcell? That is the question...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Parcell was superbly creative for the Ippy Jets, I have a feeling he was coached to do whatever he did this year.

He's by far the better Hooker BUT we haven't seen the best of him yet.

I have a feeling 2017 will be his year.
I would love to see parcell start at hooker but i also think api is a great player & deserves a spot in the 17 .. Personally i would play api at lock & let him do wat he does best tackle his guts out & roam around catching out lazy defenders he is a brilliant attacking player push jake up to second row & it gives the team so many more options.. Api also moves up quick out of the defensive line & is always putting pressure on the ball carrier ..

That's because he played more games. Granted, Parcell needs to lift his running game given the speed he has.
The stats I checked averaged out % and Api came out on top. He also only played an extra 3 games and he also played more than half of them in his non preferred position.

I respect your opinion, I just really do not see the fuss with Parcell. He scored a try in a reserve grade grand final and a couple of rabbits were pulled out of a hat at the 9's and I think it got some people excited. People's expectations of Parcell are no where near in line with his actual ability and the runs on the board so far.

I'm not talking about you specifically but sooner or later people have to realise that what happens in NYC and NSW Cup/QLD Cup has very little bearing on what will happen in FG. The amount of players that have struggled to transfer form from lower grades into first grade is profound. My point is that until we see him excel in first grade, he should be judged accordingly. To call him the heir to Cameron Smith based on some form he showed at the Jets is just plain ridiculous.

There seems to be a lot of criticism about Parcell not producing the goods he showed the preceding year and again its criticism somewhat unjustified similar to that given to the Manly side as a whole in 2016. You cant win injured.

Parcell started the season impressively but was struck down as early as April with hamstring problems. That problem continued with him for much of the year and like a few other Manly players he was playing on one leg for many games that he did play. Like the Manly side as a whole, injury was not allowing the best performances to show and could explain why Parcell didnt seem to stretch out in many of the games he played.

If you check you will see he played only one in every two games during April and May and few after June. Maybe he was coming back too early, but I dont think you can gauge his potential based on his 2016 year. Hopefully such restrictions will not inhibit his play in 2017 and we'll get to see the free running player Bennett was annoyed at losing

The stats I checked averaged out % and Api came out on top. He also only played an extra 3 games and he also played more than half of them in his non preferred position.

I respect your opinion, I just really do not see the fuss with Parcell. He scored a try in a reserve grade grand final and a couple of rabbits were pulled out of a hat at the 9's and I think it got some people excited. People's expectations of Parcell are no where near in line with his actual ability and the runs on the board so far.

I'm not talking about you specifically but sooner or later people have to realise that what happens in NYC and NSW Cup/QLD Cup has very little bearing on what will happen in FG. The amount of players that have struggled to transfer form from lower grades into first grade is profound. My point is that until we see him excel in first grade, he should be judged accordingly. To call him the heir to Cameron Smith based on some form he showed at the Jets is just plain ridiculous.
I judge based on what I have seen and the facts - the facts are he has a long way to go, but he shows me that he can engage the defence and get them on their heals which allows for more metres from our forwards. I see a good defender who doesn't miss tackles, and I see a good crisp passing game that allows his halves to have more time to play what they see. I do not see the next Cameron Smith.

As for Api, I see a gutsy player with a big ticker, someone who can pull off a big hit for his size and someone who has some versatility to his play. I also see someone who misses a lot of tackles, someone who's passing game is very erratic that results in his halves having to jump/reach up and reach low to catch the ball allowing the defence time to get in their face and shut down/impede the next play.

I see Parcell as a more natural hooker who's game can better suit our halves and allow them to provide the creativity. I also see him as someone with great pace who will learn how to make the most of that attribute in time.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of criticism about Parcell not producing the goods he showed the preceding year and again its criticism somewhat unjustified similar to that given to the Manly side as a whole in 2016. You cant win injured.

Yes, but a big part of being a professional NRL player is getting on the field. Your body needs to be able to take the punishment, week in, week out. That's why some players are praised for their durability; others, not so much… Dealing with injury, recovering from injury and simply not getting injured in the first place are all part of the gig.
Whatever Parcell has got, he needs to show it. Same with Api. Same with the team as a whole, really. As you say, Bearfax, individual performances impact on the team's performance, and vice versa.
But no matter how many words we write or threads we make about it, it's all just chatter. Same as last pre-season: lots of words, lots of excitement. But the on-field results were terrible. One they've played a few games we'll know more.

Yes, but a big part of being a professional NRL player is getting on the field. Your body needs to be able to take the punishment, week in, week out. That's why some players are praised for their durability; others, not so much… Dealing with injury, recovering from injury and simply not getting injured in the first place are all part of the gig.
Whatever Parcell has got, he needs to show it. Same with Api. Same with the team as a whole, really. As you say, Bearfax, individual performances impact on the team's performance, and vice versa.
But no matter how many words we write or threads we make about it, it's all just chatter. Same as last pre-season: lots of words, lots of excitement. But the on-field results were terrible. One they've played a few games we'll know more.

Ron you cant stop a player from being injured and it happens to almost every player. Very very few go through their careers without some major injuries. Though you can protect from some injuries to a degree, you cant in the end avoid being injured, no matter how well prepared you are. Do we blame Brett Steart or Matai for the injuries they have carried for year. What about Tom T last year. What about Watmough, David Wiliams, Foran, DCE. They arent machines. Next year it may be Api out for most of the season

Parcell is a better defender and better around the ruck with crisper passing. The stats say it all, api makes mistakes, misses tackles and causes other players to make mistakes with his **** passing. Parcell has a far higher ceiling as well, he can really be something if he goes hard and backs himself more. And from memory he had an ankle injury for the whole of last season. He's primed for a big 2017, if he fires we'll go close to the top 8.

The village idiots Bozo and Gel got rid of Manlys best hooker.

Jamie Buhrer.

He runs rings around API and Parcell.

Played all his junior footy at hooker before he was pigeon holed as an utility.

The village idiots Bozo and Gel got rid of Manlys best hooker.

Jamie Buhrer.

He runs rings around API and Parcell.

Played all his junior footy at hooker before he was pigeon holed as an utility.

Only saw him play hooker twice, he went well both times. Would like to have seen him given a shot.

That one game he played SOO, didn't he go on an play hooker?

Parcel for mine with Api as bench utility. I trust TB to reward whoever puts in the most work and performs the best through pre season. Both good options

I would love to see parcell start at hooker but i also think api is a great player & deserves a spot in the 17 .. Personally i would play api at lock & let him do wat he does best tackle his guts out & roam around catching out lazy defenders he is a brilliant attacking player push jake up to second row & it gives the team so many more options.. Api also moves up quick out of the defensive line & is always putting pressure on the ball carrier ..
Api at lock?!? Have a look at the best locks going around? Tamalolo for example. Api is way way to small to be playing lock mate. Api misses a lot of tackles. He reminds me of Matai, goes super hard but makes too many mistakes for a 1st grader. People then call him out for his guts in defence. Parcel, statistically, makes fewer errors and misses far few tackles which is key at hooker. In 2016 Api 580 Tackles 70 missed, Parcel had 543 Tackles 17 missed. Api has a go but for mine, he's a bench player at best...

Api at lock?!? Have a look at the best locks going around? Tamalolo for example. Api is way way to small to be playing lock mate. Api misses a lot of tackles. He reminds me of Matai, goes super hard but makes too many mistakes for a 1st grader. People then call him out for his guts in defence. Parcel, statistically, makes fewer errors and misses far few tackles which is key at hooker. In 2016 Api 580 Tackles 70 missed, Parcel had 543 Tackles 17 missed. Api has a go but for mine, he's a bench player at best...
Bench player at best you reckon .. He was good enough to win a g.f. With souths at starting hooker & got man of the match 3 games in a row starting at halfback for manly this year .. I dont see him as a powerhouse running lock like taumololo but more like gifty & extra five eighth someone who can play with the ball a bit like foran ... His never die with the ball attitude was good to see & the other players get on the back of that & follow him.. He doesnt sit back watching & waiting for something to happen .. He will get in their & make it happen .. He has a real crack & i think he deserves to be in the starting 17 everyweek not necesarily at lock but some where ..

Bench player at best you reckon .. He was good enough to win a g.f. With souths at starting hooker & got man of the match 3 games in a row starting at halfback for manly this year .. I dont see him as a powerhouse running lock like taumololo but more like gifty & extra five eighth someone who can play with the ball a bit like foran ... His never die with the ball attitude was good to see & the other players get on the back of that & follow him.. He doesnt sit back watching & waiting for something to happen .. He will get in their & make it happen .. He has a real crack & i think he deserves to be in the starting 17 everyweek not necesarily at lock but some where ..
Has a go but too small to play in the forwards. He won a GF because Isaac Luke was suspended. Had a freakish forward pack and did an okay job in that game. Sorry, I just think he's a bloke who has a go but long-term I dont see a position locked down for him. He's not like Gifty either, no where near same class. Realistically he could play the last 15-20 mins at hooker to bring on some spark but that's about it at the top level. It's either him or brown on the bench for that utility spot.

Has a go but too small to play in the forwards. He won a GF because Isaac Luke was suspended. Had a freakish forward pack and did an okay job in that game. Sorry, I just think he's a bloke who has a go but long-term I dont see a position locked down for him. He's not like Gifty either, no where near same class. Realistically he could play the last 15-20 mins at hooker to bring on some spark but that's about it at the top level. It's either him or brown on the bench for that utility spot.
No i think your right he is not assured of a spot anywhere but I hope he gets that bench spot .. I like him at hooker but his passing game is not crisp enough .. A lot of people bagging parcell but i really like wat he brings .. I cant wait till its on again i like the look of our team

Re-reading this has been interesting ... hands up if you chose wisely ..

Well ... the jury is out ... and in a unanimous decision have declared Api the winner by a knockout .. 5 seconds into the first round ..

And ... just to upset the numbnuts ... I would rather an Api in the hand than a Fainu in the bush ...

I think this thread may be the reason why some Silvertails are not on Dessie's speed dial for selection tips ...

Re-reading this has been interesting ... hands up if you chose wisely ..

Well ... the jury is out ... and in a unanimous decision have declared Api the winner by a knockout .. 5 seconds into the first round ..

And ... just to upset the numbnuts ... I would rather an Api in the hand than a Fainu in the bush ...

I think this thread may be the reason why some Silvertails are not on Dessie's speed dial for selection tips ...
Gee Woodsie you need to take up golf or something. Dragging up an old post about two players who no longer even play for Manly. My first thought was who gives a s$&@. Lol.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6