Anybody else ntoiced our sh*t wing defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silver

Reserve Grader
I read this site everyday and rarely do I make a comment. I have noticed how Stephenson comes in for a fair amount of criticsm which I think is justifed. I do not consider him a good quality NRL centre - poor defence and average attacking skills.

What I am yet to read is anyone comenting on how poor our defence is from either winger, in particular Donald. Has anyone else noticed that each week opposing teams are targetting his wing more and more with cross field kicks and coming up with the goods??? The Parramatta game was a classic example of Donald and Steppa being peppered with kicks - high and low and tries eventuating.

I would like to see the stats on how many tries are scored on his wing and from kicks. If I can see, surely Dessie must and something has to be done about it. If Johns is fit, watch him give Donald nightmares!

Very good point mate I remember Donald was getting bagged last year for his bad defence but it did improve, Doesnt like the high ball, he gets pepered alright!

I think Hicks has been the problem, shooting off his wing for no reason when we have adequate numbers and creating an overlap.

It all comes down to the centre inside them, if they dont trust their inside man then they try tomake the tackles that dont need to be made

I guess we'll see over the coming weeks with the two most talented centres in the side (even if Tezza isn't the most agile these days). If things don't improve then maybe we have to look at the wingers. I hate to bag them because the back three combo is so fast that maybe we can give them some leniancy in other areas.

Donald's performance under the high ball is one of the worst kept secrets in the NRL.

It is a good point but you cannot blame all the defensive errors on the wingers. Bob Fultons theory is that defensive mistakes come from bad ball control and field position rather than actual missed tackles. If that makes sense.

Wheel makes a good point. Our defence has been better this year and we have conceded less tries to the kick than previously. Donald is not a big man and it is easy to target a winger when he is isolated. Good sides do this well.

Each loss this year has seen us lose the battle of field position and possession - those two stats are the most telling in 90 of games. With our ability that is where we have to be great in order to compete and beat any opposition.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6