Any concerns about the Manly 2020 squad ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I guess Glanville is another option but sorta think his best is past him ( although I did say that with Ben Kennedy as well, and that well, didn’t transpire).

A possible positive is the injury rehab all occurring early in the season. Even if they miss a few rounds it is better than the scenario we had in 2019 with injuries late in the season. So hopefully the star players are 100% by the finals.

Fainu's biggest liability was always going to be his defence and whether he was fit enough to play bigger minutes.
Cust and Croker are better defenders and can do it for longer, so we will lose nothing in D.

Attack, ball distribution and spark around the ruck is where Fainu is over of the best.
How much of that will Des be able to coach to Cust and Croker over the off-season, that is $64 imo.
Hopefully a lot

I assume we were probably looking at turning Fainu into an 80 minute hooker next year. We might be able to cover him with a solid hooker to start and a back up on the bench, but what effect will that have on the bench make up and rotation ?? Look at all the top teams this year - all had 80 minute hookers, Friend / Verrills, Hodgson, Scam, and Cook

If we are forced to run with a back up 9 on bench then it cuts your bench forwards to 3 and effects your interchange rotation. The shared hooker role didn't seem to be in vogue for the teams that went deep into finals so not sure if it is a sustainable model.

I don't think it is just missing Fainu , it's Api as well . They were great because the complemented each other so well . Fainu as good as he is going to be , can and will be replaced and whoever steps in will do the job . Des will make sure of it . Better this now before pre-season then well into next season.

I don't think it is just missing Fainu , it's Api as well . They were great because the complemented each other so well . Fainu as good as he is going to be , can and will be replaced and whoever steps in will do the job . Des will make sure of it . Better this now before pre-season then well into next season.
Absolutely. It is not as though losing Api is negligible...there hasn't really been enough of a sample size to fully comprehend the impact that his 20 minute stint was having on Fainu's ability to destroy the ruck...throw Api's defensive workload on the shoulders of Manase, week in week out, and I doubt it would be of no consequence...then consider throwing that on the shoulders of Cust and Croker and you've got a massive problem.

I am prepared to write next season off unless something drastically changes with personnel. I am so disappointed.

What club would look at losing Koroisau and Fainu for Cust or Croker and think "nah, we'll be right fellas"...

What drugs do you have to be on to not see a massive concern here?

I am prepared to write next season off unless something drastically changes with personnel. I am so disappointed.
I don't think the year will be a complete write off. We will still be building for a serious premiership assault (maybe a bad choice of words) but it will be a year during which the club identifies exactly what area needs boosting to go the next (highest) level.
I agree that many seem to be forgetting just how important a top dummy half is.
When Ballin came in Manly went to a new level.
Api was courageous and a grand final winner, yet still had plenty of critics here, and I agreed with them!
Like everyone I'm hoping Fainu's career is not over before its begun because he had a rare talent and vision, but we won't know that for quite some time. Meanwhile we need to sign a decent 9. Not least in order to buoy Snake's sagging spirits!

What club would look at losing Koroisau and Fainu for Cust or Croker and think "nah, we'll be right fellas"...

What drugs do you have to be on to not see a massive concern here?
Yeah agree somewhat. I season hinges on the December 16 hearing somewhat.

Yeah agree somewhat. I season hinges on the December 16 hearing somewhat.
I presume that Des, at least, knows what actually happened at the church dance and also would have legal advice how the court appearance is likely to proceed. Based on this, he will be planning for 2020 - whether to pursue a new dummy half or not. Perhaps trialling the PNG player is part of this.

Des won't know that but he will know how the court appearance is likely to proceed. Which is why we have the PNG player trialling, and why we are being linked to players like Levi and Granville.
As previously stated, the next court date is not a date for any kind of hearing about guilt or innocence, or legal argument of any kind, it is simply a mention date as part of a statutory timetable.
Unless the current charges are downgraded then Fainu's best result will be a finding of not guilty on all counts, after a jury trial - which would probably occur late 2020.
So even if innocent he's wiped out for next year.

I presume that Des, at least, knows what actually happened at the church dance and also would have legal advice how the court appearance is likely to proceed. Based on this, he will be planning for 2020 - whether to pursue a new dummy half or not. Perhaps trialling the PNG player is part of this.
Yeap hope so. Docker clay in training kit today

Let's presume Fainu is gone for 2020. Whomever takes his spot will benefit from top notch go forward from our Props and A grade Intel from Chez, Tom and Jake(our 2nd halfback). Could be the making of an immortal.

The return of AFB and Jake T from operations is going to a big factor . Can Manly win any games without both players could hurt the club .

We should of grabbed Isaac Luke or Cameron Smith, both were on the market and cap friendly.

I know this because the clubs they signed with had no problems fitting them in late without any problems.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4