Another rule change: Kicks in gen play.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Kicks which find touch during play will result in the opposition receiving a seven-tackle set under a proposed new rule change that could be trialled as soon as next week.

The NRL’s innovation committee will convene early next week to discuss the impact of recent rule changes and consider whether any other tweaks could further improve the spectacle.

The Herald can reveal the main agenda item will be whether all kicks in general play that find touch - with the exception of the 40-20 and the seldom-used 20-40 - will result in a seven-tackle set to the opposition. The initiative, which could be road-tested for the first time in the round 25 clash between Canterbury and Wests Tigers, has the potential to totally revolutionise the kicking game.
The idea is the brainchild of innovation committee chairman Wayne Pearce, who believes it could result in more ball-in-play time by discouraging the traditional touch-finder kicks that are often used to slow down the game.

“At the moment, when a ball gets kicked into touch, there’s a turnover and the team can have it in the middle of the field or wherever they want to have it,” Pearce told the Herald.

The NRL will consider punishing teams who kick into touch by rewarding the opposing team with a seven-tackle set.

ARL commissioner Wayne Pearce, who heads up the game’s innovation committee, said the rule change would be discussed at a meeting next week, with the dead rubber between the Tigers and Bulldogs mooted as one game to trial it in.

(I didn't realise the kick into touch was such a blight on our game - meanwhile players backing into tackles and clutching their necks are going unpunished).

-remember your friend, globaleagle, is just the messenger here!

Last edited:
I don’t think I’m a fan of it. It’s an art to be able to control the tempo of the game. Johns, Lockyer, Smith etc all could dictate the speed of the game to suit their team, a very special skill to have.

I also believe if you can kick it dead from inside your own 40 the seven tackle count shouldn’t apply. Call me old fashioned but it is a very good kick to achieve that anyway.

Wayne sees his son kick a field goal and thinks it was that brilliant that kickers must be able to control every single bounce of a football driven 60 metres upfield.

Not a fan of this idea.
Why do we need to change the rules every season just for the sake of it, the game isn't recognizable from 20+ years ago.

What rule changes are next, you crossed the try line that is good enough no need to ground it.
Kicking for a goal isn't fair, move every shot directly in front on the 20-metre line.

Kickers like DCE read the game and take a risk on a 40-20 and when they pull them off it's a great reward.

The original 7 tackle set rule was for kicks going into touch in goal or dead ball line, to minimise the use of kick on last tackle. It now punishes teams who are a bees d..ick from scoring a non kicking try to a 20m 7 tackle restart against them, so rather than introducing new rules why don't they firstly fix the others

We've already got a points bonanza that borders on ridiculous. Melbourne are about to win 20 in a row, points scoring records being broken everywhere, we've got blow outs left, right and centre, a huge divide between the top and bottom teams, unprecedented injuries and yet still, we want to tinker with speeding the game up...wtf are these idiots on?

I reckon i've seen maybe 1 or 2 players grubber the ball in the direction of the touchline all year. These days players bomb from midfield and give chasers time to get down and apply pressure. Thus, the only time this rule is going to have impact is when a side shoots for a 40/20 and misses. What would be the point of penalising a team for almost kicking a 40/20?

It's seriously one of the most stupid ideas they've come up with. I can see why Mitchell Pearce has no sexuality and likes to **** dogs; his Dad is as dumb as one.

The 7 tackle is a problem generally. It should only be for kicks that go dead from >20m out.

Think about this. A winger dives for a try in the corner but loses the ball forward and the ball goes dead. 20m restart and 7 tackle set follow.

however, if a fullback fields a grubber 1m out from their line in the corner of the field and gets hit high, they might advance 15m down field with the kick for touch and only get a 6 tackle set.

How can the former scenario result in a harsher punishment than the latter? It’s crazy in my mind.

Sounds like old Junior has been hanging out with Cheech & Chong ( not that there’s anything wrong with that).

As @Shnorky said, they changed the rules over the ball going dead in goal but then deemed it to cover all errors from the attacking team in goal so at the risk of scoring a try you’re potentially giving away a seven tackle set.
So with this numbnut proposal does it cover if a pass goes astray and goes into touch?
By their reasoning of what happens in goal then surely this must apply too, yeah?
Instead of a sweeping backline play it’ll be a risk to pass to the winger incase it goes into touch.
What if a player is tackled over the sideline? Is it the same?

Can’t believe this proposal, every week the media praise Cleary’s kicking game yet this would negate that.

Why not just make every set seven tackles?

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7