Another rule change: Kicks in gen play.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Baffling, weird idea...and to consider ANY more rule changes coming into finals is almost beyond belief...the game changes take time for players to adjust and fans to accept and this new rule is a dogs breakfast and the last thing needed to improve the game.

I don't know who but someone on here wrote a few weeks ago that for all the speeding up of the game it's just making it harder for the officials to get things right.
They struggle as it is, now this.

Is it some underhanded way out removing another stoppage so teams can't challenge another dodgy call?
No, of course not, they're not that smart.

They misrepresented Pearce when they said it was his "brainchild".

The innovations committee = lets justify our positions by continually tweaking the game until we totally destroy it. That thread just keeps getting pulled by these neurologically challenged individuals.

I'm done with all of this tinkering for the sake of it.

There are a few stupid rules but introducing this would just be next level.

The 7 tackle set has to go. It was only introduced to stop teams intentionally kicking it dead to give them a chance to set their defence. I haven't seen a side do that for 10 years. Why does a grubber kick that trickles dead get punished like it's a negative tactic ? Or an attempt at field goal that misses produce a potentially match losing 7 tackle set that almost guarantees the opposition will get a shot.

Why is the game run by idiots ?

Interesting article. Fans believe the speed of the game is 'about right', therefore the 6 again rule is justified. So the ends justify the means.

I wonder if the poll response would be negative if the question was, "Do you like the 6 again rule?".

Apparently a majority of fans like that too!
E3D9401F-80AE-4F67-963B-5147E94BCD34.jpeg

Do you think wayne pearce wants to keep changing rules until the tigpies are competitive

they were the first club to give up on defence about 10 years back and he is trying to level the playing field it seems by making defence irrelevant

next weeks rule will surely be "sack your coach" advance to finals

Instead of changing rules every 5 minutes, Pearce could just make the finals series a top 9, and solve all the Tigers problems.

The NRL has torpedoed a proposal to trial a controversial kicking rule change next week after a savage backlash from players, coaches and fans.

The Herald revealed plans to road test a proposal to punish teams who kick into touch, by awarding the opposition team a seven-tackle set, in the Canterbury-Wests Tigers clash next week. However, the initiative, the brainchild of NRL innovation committee chair Wayne Pearce, has been scrapped after a visceral reaction on social media and concerns from key stakeholders.

While Cronulla coach Josh Hannay said the initiative may warrant exploration, players and coaches were almost unanimous in leaving the rules as they are. The result is the NRL will not trial the new rule in the final round of the regular season.

Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans, one of the best tactical kickers in the game, said most of the recent rule changes had been positive, but labelled the latest proposal “unnecessary”.

“I was very intrigued to know how that would work because there are so many different options that come off a kick,” Cherry-Evans told the Herald.

“For example, the long 40-20 kicks that might be a couple of inches off. It might be an attacking cross-field kick that might have gone wrong. There are so many variables to determine what is a deliberate kick out.

“That’s before you mention what I think is a pretty important area of our game and that is the craft of playing halfback. It’s about putting the ball out when you need it to go out or keeping it in when you need it to stay in.

“We’d probably be taking away from that.”

Storm star Christian Welch, who is on the Rugby League Players Association alongside Maroons teammate Cherry-Evans, took to social media to voice his concern.

“Please just leave our game alone,” Welch posted on Twitter.

Instead of changing rules every 5 minutes, Pearce could just make the finals series a top 9, and solve all the Tigers problems.
But what if 10th place becomes the new norm for the Tigers?

Or last place?

Will he push for a Top 16 finals format?

The original 7 tackle set rule was for kicks going into touch in goal or dead ball line, to minimise the use of kick on last tackle. It now punishes teams who are a bees d..ick from scoring a non kicking try to a 20m 7 tackle restart against them, so rather than introducing new rules why don't they firstly fix the others
Exactly. Ridiculous rule. Same as when going for a shot for field goal to win a game. Both times player not intentionally trying to slow game down by deliberately kicking ball dead! They have already scrapped scrums when ball goes into touch, that is enough.

What about when you kick ahead for a chase and goes into touch, Ref will constantly have to decide whether a 7 tackle set is warranted.

Rule won't happen

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10