Annesley's weakly excuses presser - 2023 edition!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Roosters supporter and wears nothing but Bears clothing literally day and night because his Dad is a trainer for SG Ball Bears team and he is a referee for the Northern area which is all just Bears stuff its pretty hideous I have to be honest

Children don't appreciate parent's unconditional love, I reckon!

Lol!
A smart club into long-term planning (ie not Penn) would set up a ref academy in their area. When they eventually filter through to NRL they'll retain some unconscious bias toward their home area, no matter how hard they try!

Wasn't there 6-7 dubious decisions made by The Bunker in last night's match? I didn't watch much of it but it seems like Annersley will have a lot of explaining to do as it's apparent the Bunker's main role now is to dismiss tries our eyes tell us are legitimate five minutes after the action has stopped ... and this is just the first match of the round.
The Bunker not only kills excitement and enjoyment it is altering the rules to suit -- dare I say -- agendas... Gamble responsibly!

Roosters supporter and wears nothing but Bears clothing literally day and night because his Dad is a trainer for SG Ball Bears team and he is a referee for the Northern area which is all just Bears stuff its pretty hideous I have to be honest
Sounds like a typical ref

I'd like an honest opinion on why all Bunker decisions are made in stop-frame time, not in actual motion. When the action is determined in slow-mo it skews what our eyes see: reality. It often makes it appear that a player has lost control of the ball, or a defender has had the time to pull out of a tackle.
When you have to do a CSI on whose fingers brushed a ball, or what the 'intent' was of a player contesting the ball then you risk analysis by paralysis.
The reason we watch "sport" is for its unpredictability. But The Bunker was introduced to make all decisions perfect. Not only has that not happened but it has proven that making decisions via video is just as inconclusive as allowing the on-field refs to decide.
The Bunker is a costly exercise in futility, especially when you appreciate it is simply substituting a human video ref for a human on-field ref.
What's next: An AI ref?

I have said it before, I'll say it again.

Get rid of off-duty NRL referees in the bunker. You've heard the saying too many cooks spoil the broth? Well, its physically impossible to have the same on-field referee doing all 8 games per round so there is nothing that can be done there about the inconsistency that is different referee's having different interpretations of happenings on the field.

But the bunker??

It IS physically possible to have one official in the bunker for all games per round. One official, one set of interpretations = more consistency.

And IMO the bunker official should only be Graham Annesley.

I'd like an honest opinion on why all Bunker decisions are made in stop-frame time, not in actual motion. When the action is determined in slow-mo it skews what our eyes see: reality. It often makes it appear that a player has lost control of the ball, or a defender has had the time to pull out of a tackle.
When you have to do a CSI on whose fingers brushed a ball, or what the 'intent' was of a player contesting the ball then you risk analysis by paralysis.
The reason we watch "sport" is for its unpredictability. But The Bunker was introduced to make all decisions perfect. Not only has that not happened but it has proven that making decisions via video is just as inconclusive as allowing the on-field refs to decide.
The Bunker is a costly exercise in futility, especially when you appreciate it is simply substituting a human video ref for a human on-field ref.
What's next: An AI ref?
Well if the bunker doesn't use the stop frame replays you can bet your last $$ that the broadcasters will to prove the right or wrong decision was made, so then fans are screaming they were robbed.

Graham Annesley's admission that the Gold Coast Titans should have received a penalty during the thrilling conclusion to their clash against the Parramatta Eels on Sunday evening has not gone down well with the club's interim coach Jim Lenihan.

Just a week after NRL officials made what was deemed to be the correct call in penalising Erin Clark to allow the Dolphins a golden point win, the Eels were well offside and not penalised for the same thing, impacting the Titans in the eventual one-point loss.

Annesley, who is the NRL's head of football, said on Monday during his weekly footy briefing that he couldn't defend the decision.

“Last week I stood here and defended referees for making a strong call on players who were offside when there was a field goal attempted that would have determined the outcome of the game,” he said during his briefing.

“Unfortunately, this week I can't mount the same defence for the officials.

“You can see that they're at least one step or a metre over the goal line as the ball clears the ruck, which places them offside.

“There's no doubt in this particular incident that the touch judge on the near side should have called those players offside.

“When they went through and the ball was charged down by Lane, the referee should have penalised him on the advice of the touch judge, but that advice didn't come.

“There are many times I stand here and defend the decisions of the match officials, but you can't defend it when it's obviously wrong.”

It didn't please Lenihan though, who has his side now in dire position as they attempt to qualify for the finals.

Lenihan told AAP that he wasn't happy.

"It is hard to swallow, really hard to swallow," Lenihan told AAP.

"What can I do about it? They are certainly not going to give me two competition points which is what we are playing 80 minutes of football for.

"I am certainly not happy about this.

Graham Annesley's admission that the Gold Coast Titans should have received a penalty during the thrilling conclusion to their clash against the Parramatta Eels on Sunday evening has not gone down well with the club's interim coach Jim Lenihan.

Just a week after NRL officials made what was deemed to be the correct call in penalising Erin Clark to allow the Dolphins a golden point win, the Eels were well offside and not penalised for the same thing, impacting the Titans in the eventual one-point loss.

Annesley, who is the NRL's head of football, said on Monday during his weekly footy briefing that he couldn't defend the decision.

“Last week I stood here and defended referees for making a strong call on players who were offside when there was a field goal attempted that would have determined the outcome of the game,” he said during his briefing.

“Unfortunately, this week I can't mount the same defence for the officials.

“You can see that they're at least one step or a metre over the goal line as the ball clears the ruck, which places them offside.

“There's no doubt in this particular incident that the touch judge on the near side should have called those players offside.

“When they went through and the ball was charged down by Lane, the referee should have penalised him on the advice of the touch judge, but that advice didn't come.

“There are many times I stand here and defend the decisions of the match officials, but you can't defend it when it's obviously wrong.”

It didn't please Lenihan though, who has his side now in dire position as they attempt to qualify for the finals.

Lenihan told AAP that he wasn't happy.

"It is hard to swallow, really hard to swallow," Lenihan told AAP.

"What can I do about it? They are certainly not going to give me two competition points which is what we are playing 80 minutes of football for.

"I am certainly not happy about this.
I can see the bunker getting involved in every FG attempt in GP

I'm anti The Bunker, although I'm waging a losing battle. It is here to stay, unfortunately.
Therefore, why aren't they using it to determine field goal attempts? The Bunker is used for tries/no tries, so what is the difference? Both are scoring opportunities.
Has a field goal been kicked, or missed, legally? Where the defenders off-side? Did the attacking team use blockers?
If The Bunker starting ruling on field goals it would certainly shake things up.

The level of incompetence, inconsistency and acquiescence amongst the match officials is unsatisfactory.
In their defence, on-field refs are making hundreds of split-second decisions, and they are only human. There is no excuse for The Bunker making mistakes.
However, the biggest sh@t-show is the way player managers have hijacked the sport, the sombrero salary cap, mid-season trades, the influx of gambling, match-fixing and the NRL V RLPU disputes. All of these later issues/decisions are made with calm heads behind closed doors and are much more sinister.

I'm anti The Bunker, although I'm waging a losing battle. It is here to stay, unfortunately.
Therefore, why aren't they using it to determine field goal attempts? The Bunker is used for tries/no tries, so what is the difference? Both are scoring opportunities.
Has a field goal been kicked, or missed, legally? Where the defenders off-side? Did the attacking team use blockers?
If The Bunker starting ruling on field goals it would certainly shake things up.
I agree, they get involved in tries scored off bombs to see if attackers contesting for the ball were onside, why not get involved in this case.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8