Annesley admits Manly should have been given a penalty in his opinion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Or let's go crazy with this, what if Brad Parker had pushed Cameron Smith in identical circumstances?

Here's Smith belting the fk out of Ferris. Melbourne got the penalty.

HandyEuphoricEastrussiancoursinghounds.gif

I just watched Annesley's explanation of why Maxwell made the decision he made.

Counts the number of frames from the time the ball left Funa's boot to when the impact of Best's push was apparent = 8 frames.

Apparently TV plays at a rate of 20 frames per second so it was less than half a second therefore Best didnt have time to pull out of his "tackle" on Funa.

What a load of bollocks.

If the onfield ref saw enough in real time to refer to the video ref for possible penalty try or penalty then Best had enough time to pull out once Funa kicked.

Players have been pinged for smashing halfbacks from behind in less than 8 frames after they've passed the ball.

What's the point in even having a video ref - who has the technology to slow footage down & inspect it frame by frame - if they're just going to use the excuse of "oh but in real time it happened too fast for the player to pull out"?

These players are elite sportsmen with insane reflexes - looking at the front on footage you can see Best has a clear view of the ball leaving Funa's hands for the kick. If everyone else can see it, why isnt Best held to the same - if not higher - expectation?

Rant over.

One of the many strange parts of the explanation is the use of the word "tackle".
If Best genuinely didn't have enough time to know Funa kicked the ball then why would he push him rather than tackle him?
It makes no sense, who pushes an attacking player with the ball towards the tryline?

Also looking at the head on, if the other Knights player that Funa gets pushed into wasn't there who's to say Funa wouldn't have kept his feet and gotten closer? I saw a still shot yesterday and McCullough who ended up diving on the ball was inline with Funa so in all probability Funa beats him to the ball, not to say he'd have scored but the opportunity was denied.

It's also the process that annoys us, different interpretations of similar things by the same officials during the game, especially when they've tried to make some things black and white - like not grabbing or using your arms whilst competing for the ball.
Chez going to the bin is fair enough under this interpretation, he even realised he grabbed him and let go pretty much straight away but it was too late. Bests push in the back was too late.

Things get magnified because it's the last minute/play, why is the 80th minute any different to the other 79?

I just watched Annesley's explanation of why Maxwell made the decision he made.
Counts the number of frames from the time the ball left Funa's boot to when the impact of Best's push was apparent = 8 frames.
Apparently TV plays at a rate of 20 frames per second so it was less than half a second therefore Best didnt have time to pull out of his "tackle" on Funa.
What a load of bollocks.

There's no way horse-cheat-head counted the frames and made a decision on that. IN fact I'm wondering if he even looked at best as he just seemed to rule on the player who slid in front of Funa (note - last week a warriors player slid into a defender and no try was ruled..but I digress)

More likely as one of the wombats said, add maxwell's bias + it was close to 6pm so the 9 o'clock news was beckoning.

The agenda against us is so blatantly obvious. In fact, if we were to list the number of incidents which have negatively impacted upon the club since the 2013 GF it would read like an essay.

It seems that the more things change, the more they remain the same. Why is it so hard for the NRL to implement fairness and consistency? Why are officials rarely ever held to account?

The players are the product. They get paid well but also play a very brutal game, putting their bodies on the line week after week. Most come from working class backgrounds and are passionate about winning. Is it any wonder they get emotional when garbage decisions such as the 2013 gf, the Rabbits sf, the Eels game etc keep occurring without consequence?

Then Annesley excuses Sunday’s garbage as a difference of opinion. Pathetic.

Last week the media were blowing up because players were laughing at the end of a match and not showing enough passion for a defeat . . .

Last week the media were blowing up because players were laughing at the end of a match and not showing enough passion for a defeat . . .
Haha yes a fine line the players must tread at all times.
Be as tough and intimidating and aggressive and as violent as you can, but as soon as you step off the field be polite.
Help promote our alcohol and gambling sponsors but don't ever drink or bet too much.
Look sad after a loss but not angry.
Tough gig, I'm starting to think these guys actually earn their high pay packets!

Haha yes a fine line the players must tread at all times.
Be as tough and intimidating and aggressive and as violent as you can, but as soon as you step off the field be polite.
Help promote our alcohol and gambling sponsors but don't ever drink or bet too much.
Look sad after a loss but not angry.
Tough gig, I'm starting to think these guys actually earn their high pay packets!

Yep, I remember an expose on a certain unsavoury NRL story, Brian Smith said it's kind of the juxtaposition we expect from professional footballers.
For all intents and purposes we want them to be risk takers on the field but then be mild mannered citizens off it.

Funny that not one ref involved in our game is officiating our game ,first week in a long time maxwell no where to be seen in a manly game.

maxwell gets sharks game and Atkins raiders vs storm, so both refs have been upgraded one his chosen supported the other gets a high profile game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4