Andrew Davey from the Eels ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Happy to take him on bargain coin.
Hopefully we sign a good 1st grader like Garner or someone for 2row if we just sign Davey. Gosiewski probably on his way out to bulldogs... think Gosiewski is pretty overrated anyways. Rates himself too. Parker should fill Gosiewski's role as 2row/centre cover for next year.
No way.. send parker he is shyte.. jetski is probably a better center LOL the Jet is a good player he showed that last year. He was great for us on both sides of the field scoring a few tries and tackling hard. He had back surgery and took a season to get going again. Watch him have a good game now he's starting... though croker is playing so probably see dce skip over and give him a good ball through a gap. Parker what the heck! The guy is one more head knock away from retirement and you wanna put him in the middle... i dont think he would handle it. Throw fat boy suli in there and have walker and harper as our centers

To be fair thompson and siro have been invisible this year. Siro has to prove himself early next season otherwise i'd move him to the bench and put him on the transfer list

I like this davey signing. May only be depth but as shown tonight he is versatile and offloads. Finally we are cutting back the size of our forward pack. He may not be a starter but he seems to compete

No probs...if you watched tonights game then I would be surprised if you disagreed with me...sad world if disrespect meant being being honest with someone

I think the issue here is sporting fans riding there own team and players like no other.

It is not a criticism, in fact it is quite natural but our players are never as good or as bad as we make them out to be.

With the emotional attachment we have to manly we amplify every try and line break and every missed tackle and error.

Where as when we watch other teams we objectively view a player like Davey as a solid squad forward. We look at ours like Waddel and Boyle and lambast them for not being good enough.

On my comment on Thompson and Sironen. I do disagree with you and I do not think you are being honest. Rather I think you are blinded by the hurt of how the team is struggling atm.

Im very confident that if you asked fans from 14 other teams would they take Sirro, Joel or Davey then Davey would be pick 3 99% of the time.

In Thompson and Sirro you have approx 350 first grade appearences and 6 city/country games. With Davey you have 7 appearences at 28. Now this is not to say he is a bad player but it is indicative of his upside. For reference Olakau'Atu is 6 years younger and has 6 appearences.

Again I want to reiterate that I'm not bagging Davey here. Personally I find the proposed signing as a little underwheling as Id prefer either a prospect to develop or some experience but will get behind him.

Just find it baffling that people are going to overhype him and say he is better than Sirro and Thommo

I think the issue here is sporting fans riding there own team and players like no other.

It is not a criticism, in fact it is quite natural but our players are never as good or as bad as we make them out to be.

With the emotional attachment we have to manly we amplify every try and line break and every missed tackle and error.

Where as when we watch other teams we objectively view a player like Davey as a solid squad forward. We look at ours like Waddel and Boyle and lambast them for not being good enough.

On my comment on Thompson and Sironen. I do disagree with you and I do not think you are being honest. Rather I think you are blinded by the hurt of how the team is struggling atm.

Im very confident that if you asked fans from 14 other teams would they take Sirro, Joel or Davey then Davey would be pick 3 99% of the time.

In Thompson and Sirro you have approx 350 first grade appearences and 6 city/country games. With Davey you have 7 appearences at 28. Now this is not to say he is a bad player but it is indicative of his upside. For reference Olakau'Atu is 6 years younger and has 6 appearences.

Again I want to reiterate that I'm not bagging Davey here. Personally I find the proposed signing as a little underwheling as Id prefer either a prospect to develop or some experience but will get behind him.

Just find it baffling that people are going to overhype him and say he is better than Sirro and Thommo
I don'twant Davey in the starting side (probably not even the 17 for that matter). What I meant regarding thompson and siro in 2020 is that they have been either too predictable or too invisible far too often. I think that siro has to redevelop a passing game and stop cutting off that edge attack with his inside running every time. This year he has only been good for a bargeover try in attack. Thompson probably understood he was becoming a little less effective (hence why he opted to move to super league) so I am not too bothered by his quiet season, he's earnt it.

Re: siro I think his knee injuries are killing his speed and dce is losing trust in his defence because our defencive shifts have broken down around them a little lately, leaving a large overlap when dce holds his ground or comes in to fill the gap between siro and dce. Usually they are both awesome in defence but have been off lately.

As for Davey vs Waddell, its a no-contest. Davey could have his name subbed out for any other no frills second rower and be a better option than waddell. Waddell is a liability, mainly in defence/discipline but also attack. We think jake is bad at conceding penalties, well waddell has played far less games then him (11 vs 18 games), playing nearly a third of his minutes (520 vs 1410 minutes), yet has conceded only 3 less penalties than jake this season. Constantly making stupid errors at bad times, he also isn't notably strong in hitups. His lack of urgency has always annoyed me. The worst of all is set restarts. He holds on longer than jake and doesn't seem to have any common sense about him, so frustrating to watch.

Im happy to sub out a few liabilities for a 28 year old battler that is willing to fight for his position and provide a calm head.

Last edited by a moderator:
He will be simply a backup on minimum wage - not an exciting signing, but a decent 1
Exactly AND you have to have a couple of those, Waddell is a perfect example, never going to set the world on fire but needed as back up players when the **** hits the fan.

He will be simply a backup on minimum wage - not an exciting signing, but a decent 1
I never heard of him but I watched the game last night and thought he was good. Seems like an intelligent bloke who did the little things right, so probably will be 'coachable' and obviously is motivated. Was given a late chance by the Eels and has done enough to hold his spot even though they are gearing up for (an ambitious) premiership challenge. Good size about him, could be a bargain basement surprise packet.

Was good to see a glimpse of him last night playing the full 80. Played well last night.. good defender. Has he worked his way into the starting team or is there an injury I have missed?

I never heard of him but I watched the game last night and thought he was good. Seems like an intelligent bloke who did the little things right, so probably will be 'coachable' and obviously is motivated. Was given a late chance by the Eels and has done enough to hold his spot even though they are gearing up for (an ambitious) premiership challenge. Good size about him, could be a bargain basement surprise packet.
Yes I watched a fair bit of the game and I’d agree , he’s an improvement on Waddell but still only a filler at this point.

Davey was a solid and consistent player in the Queensland cup previously , won the player of the year[ or some similar award ] for the Mackay Cutters from recollection a couple of seasons ago . Haven 't seen him play much for the Eels but looks like a good , honest toiler in the Waddell mode , so maybe a like for like change . Really do not think that siro has had the best of seasons in 2020 , still have my doubts about Jet Ski "s all round game and defensive consistency in the pack . Haumole still seems to have much to offer and a bit of an x factor and can only assume that he will be given his expected opportunity to be a top 17 regular or starting back rower next year .

Davey was a solid and consistent player in the Queensland cup previously , won the player of the year[ or some similar award ] for the Mackay Cutters from recollection a couple of seasons ago . Haven 't seen him play much for the Eels but looks like a good , honest toiler in the Waddell mode , so maybe a like for like change . Really do not think that siro has had the best of seasons in 2020 , still have my doubts about Jet Ski "s all round game and defensive consistency in the pack . Haumole still seems to have much to offer and a bit of an x factor and can only assume that he will be given his expected opportunity to be a top 17 regular or starting back rower next year .
]
Siro has seemingly been playing injured much of this year. His mobility has definitely been impacted.

Anything tactful to mention why Haumole is still being kept out of the starting 17 .
I think GUACA should be playing more first grade. He should be picked ahead of Waddell from face value. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes though maybe GUACA picked up a $1 coin off the ground before Dessie could get to it in the off season and has literally been paying the price.

Was good to see a glimpse of him last night playing the full 80. Played well last night.. good defender. Has he worked his way into the starting team or is there an injury I have missed?
Seems as though Brad Arthur started him over Shaun Lane last night which is interesting. Either he must rate Davey quite highly or Lane just hasnt been performing. He also started Kane Evans instead of Junior Paulo.

Andrew Davey v Broncos ...

Does not have any errors in him
He does have a good off load
Good defender
None of this side running stuff as he runs straight and hard to the line

Prediction ....
I can see improvement in this late 28 year old NRL starter

Just a couple of things,
I did not say better than and I don't think anyone else has or hyped him,I said as good as and after watching his performance last night I feel vindicated in my judgement.He did not miss a tackle or fall off one,his positioning and hustle were top notch,he offered himself as a decoy all night and his running ability was that good that he could have received the pass instead of just looking to run through the line,he carted it up the middle and did not get pushed back even when multiple guys were in the tackle and he showed an ability to offload.Everything I saw was as good as what our guys have shown.
I am being honest about it and I have seen a few games and he stood out and it was not because he was debuting at 28.
I don't believe that lumping everyone on here as wearing Manly coloured glasses when we critique our players is fair,some may,but I watch a player as a player and do not apply bias when judging them,I am more optimistic than probably 90% of what I see posted here.
I am not blinded by the hurt from our team,I am very optimistic and positive about our side and look to the positives over the negatives,but I will call a spade a spade and that is how I see our backrowers,not from losses or injuries or game plan etc..It is good that coaches do not select people or sign them because of what fans want,I don't get how the percentage of fans would prefer someone else over Davey has to do with anything?
I saw enough last night to think that he will get better and it showed why Arthur selected him over Lane.I hope we have signed him because I think we may have gotten a steal(Shane Rodney with a bit more ability).
You are right that it is not a glamorous signing but we have many guys to get re-signed over the next 12 months like Paseka,Schuster,Funa,Olakau'atu,Hopoate,doubt there will be too many big names,maybe one or a couple of mid-tier players
Up the Sea Eagles....

You do realise Sipley, Saddler and even Trex would all be bench props.
They would all be destroyed defensively on an edge.

But yes you’re right, Des didn’t play those 3 bench props in the 2nd row.
May I suggest you visit the official Sea Eagles website. Click on 'teams'. There you will see how the club describes both Tenterfield and T-Rex as 'second rowers'. Not props. Not middle forwards. But as second rowers.
Alright. I always knew Sippers was a prop but, hey, two out of three ain't bad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4