An Opportunity?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

MuzztheEagle

Bencher
Let’s face it our season is now looking quite grim. We have no real 5/8 and now no bench utility, Tafua is injured and we all wish Uate was to, TT’s defensive credentials are (possibly) suspect, with injuries and the salary cap drama we are quickly running out of options, we have no money left for new players and there is no chance the NRL will be giving us any sort of exemption.

So, why not throw caution to the wind and try something different?

I watched Moneyball a couple of weeks ago and then spend last week listening to people tell me to “disrupt or die” so I’m sort fired up for this way of thinking right now and with a number of teams surprising this season by mixing up their style of play I think we could (hopefully) be seeing a real change of the traditional ideas of rugby league.

My idea follows so feel free to tell me how stupid it is or better yet give us a better one. Hopefully this can be a more constructive exercise for some of us on Silvertails than the incessant bickering and blame that seems to be the current norm right now.

We currently have a very ordinary option for 5/8 and can’t recruit one. But do we really need one?

Traditionally the idea was; hooker/dummy half passes to 7 who has looked/is looking for an opportunity if there isn’t one or he is under pressure he can pass the ball to the 6 who again looks for an opportunity and more recently the two halfs have been used to control either half of the field. I don’t think either is an option with the current playing group but…

If you do believe the hype we do have two of the best attacking players in the comp in TomT and TomW. Sadly (if you believe the naysayers) these two are suspect defensively and probably shouldn’t be put in a position where they are responsible for organising the team in this regard. They are also not suited to the 5/8 spot even if they have been working on their kicking games.

Move TomT and another of our best attacking players (with speed and size) to the wing and have them focus on their biggest strength, attack. Defensively their work load is not as heavy as a full back and they don’t need to have the complete skillset that comes with that job. Instead of using them as traditional wingers (or to get off our line with dummy half runners) have them move in from the wing, essentially as attacking fullbacks/opportunistic playmakers on either side of the field. We then have three (and a fullback) playmaking opportunities roaming 3 halves of the field and can put a more defence focussed player to mind the fullback spot.

We then play more off the cuff, less structured attacking football that suits our players better and have players look for attacking opportunities rather than trying to orchestrate them (and then f-up a pass because they missed their man). Soccer fans will know this is (one of the ways) Leicester City made it to an EPL win with a bank account much lower than the other end of the competition.

I had posted this idea on another thread, but it was ignored, so maybe its s**t, and I know that all teams do know play a less structured form of attacking football but most of this site is currently hung up on filling a traditional rugby league position when the reality is that we can’t.

If you are interested in the idea there is more HERE, also this team is currently well on top of the table in their comp.

And if you have a better (and more original) idea, feel free to include it in as a post. I may even be willing to send a case of beer to the best answer.

Enthusiasm and positivity, things that are sadly lacking on this site right now.

I think of reinventing the wheel and I think of Chris Anderson's "one marker" policy that nearly saw the Roosters win the spoon.

Even if there is some wisdom in your ideas, the coaching staff won't try them. So unless you want to knuckle down and spend 10+ years trying to get a first grade coaching gig, the whole conversation is moot.

Love it Muzz! It’s this type of outside the square thinking we need!

Since the 2018 season is over let’s plan for 2019 and give some juniors a go! Kelly to Uate’s wing, Loko to centre, Parker on the other wing, TWright to 6, Paseka and Gosiewski in. I like it

The idea I'm open to is moving T Trbojevic to centre and M Wright to fullback. Tom can play a roaming second fullback role in attack and stay in the centres in defence.

Love it Muzz! It’s this type of outside the square thinking we need!

Since the 2018 season is over let’s plan for 2019 and give some juniors a go! Kelly to Uate’s wing, Loko to centre, Parker on the other wing, TWright to 6, Paseka and Gosiewski in. I like it

Cuthbertson to the wing.

You guys carry on like there aren't a whole team of football professionals figuring out the best possible combination of guys at our disposal to be selected for the first grade squad. Not to mention they are also balancing what is going on behind the scenes both in terms of the playing group dynamics and salary cap compliance.

Cuthbertson to the wing.

You guys carry on like there aren't a whole team of football professionals figuring out the best possible combination of guys at our disposal to be selected for the first grade squad. Not to mention they are also balancing what is going on behind the scenes both in terms of the playing group dynamics and salary cap compliance.
Not trying to say I know more than professionals, just trying to bring some positive ideas and intellectual thoughts to an otherwise dark forum right now. Please feel free to go back to your bitching on the 20 available threads on how f**ked the team is. :)

We don't have depth but we do have choices
If we can take a chance and persevere with a park footballer like Croker then we can take a chance with this backline for this year until our next shopping spree
All we need is a proactive coach
1Tom Wright -Pace and unpredictable in open space
2Parker - safe and strong
3Walker - you cant go wrong
4Kelly - give him more time to shine
5Moses- we know what he is capable of
6Tom Turbo - will have the opposition in 4 minds
7DCE - one of my favourites

Not trying to say I know more than professionals, just trying to bring some positive ideas and intellectual thoughts to an otherwise dark forum right now. Please feel free to go back to your bitching on the 20 available threads on how f**ked the team is. :)

There is only one way out of our current funk, and that is for the 17 players who are picked this week to muscle up against the Eels and get some pride back in the jersey.

Then they need to do it the week after against the Knights, and the week after that against the Roosters.

We don't have depth but we do have choices
If we can take a chance and persevere with a park footballer like Croker then we can take a chance with this backline for this year until our next shopping spree
All we need is a proactive coach
1Tom Wright -Pace and unpredictable in open space
2Parker - safe and strong
3Walker - you cant go wrong
4Kelly - give him more time to shine
5Moses- we know what he is capable of
6Tom Turbo - will have the opposition in 4 minds
7DCE - one of my favourites
Bozo im not dissing you man but Turbo needs room mate and 6 wont do it . Atleast centres, and i dont think 6 he has the silky skills to cut it there . I may be wrong my little power lifter.

There has mostly been evolution in the game of bigger faster athletes and more conservative safety first zone orientated coaches, which is why the game has become boring over the years.

But to your point, disruptive being revolutionary change requires a big balled coach and the talent to execute, both of what we are lacking. The only case of disruptive change has been the Ipswich Jets with the Walker boys turning the game on its head, for the better in my view.

I can’t answer specifically what we could do with our players at this time, but your question has a lot of merit.

Last edited:
So what your saying is ,Sack Barrett and hire the Walker Bros.
I wouldn't complain at that. But really Barrett is in a pretty safe position as a coach. He has so many excuses now that it really doesn't matter what he does and he will almost certainly be here next season. From here is options look like; have a mediocre season and make sure we don't get the spoon, try to build for next season by blooding a few more young guys or say f*** it and try to turn the game on its head while doing the last option.

Bozo im not dissing you man but Turbo needs room mate and 6 wont do it . Atleast centres and i dont think he has the silky skills to cut it there i may be wrong my little power lifter.
I see your point mate but Turbo has shown us that he can create opportunities for his outside backs . Tom can run and he also has vision. Tom will have the opposition in 2 minds unlike our current predictable park no 6 . Our 6 issue is much more serious than on centre issues .

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8