An interesting read...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member

Now obviously football based and delves into transfer windows etc but can see some common themes.

Certainly feel that match day threads are busier when we lose.....

And do think that there are types who seem to take some form of smug satisfaction from a loss...

Dunno, just found it a good read and thought I'd share

It's an excellent article about online supporters @Disco . It's a long read and is obviously well researched. The writer introduces a number of themes which can easily be identified as common to this, and other NRL team forums.

I would definitely agree with you that match day threads on Silvertails are much busier when we lose. There are a few easily recognised members who love coming on during and after losses to put **** on players, coaching staff et al.

They are clearly much happier when we lose. They are even happier again when they can take out their mindless, bitter vitriol on whichever player/players have been judged as being responsible for the loss.

I am not talking about constructive criticism or fair comment, but what is often clearly offensive and abusive.

These posters know who they are. No point in naming them. Some of them are looking forward to Manly losing on Friday. They will come online, all smug and satisfied with themselves, just to bait the true supporters online at the time. If we win they won't turn up at all. They can go **** themselves. They are not Manly supporters, and never will be.
Go Manly.

Apart from just 2 long term mates, I never watch the football with anybody ... mainly because I want to watch the game ... but just as critically, I have had nightmare experiences having been forced to listen to the idiotic, ill-informed and abusive rantings of mugs and numbnuts for the entire game ... it IS ALWAYS someone's fault. and someone is always fukken useless and should be pissed off ... God save me ... where's a baseball bat when you need one!

So ... I never ever, ever, ever read the live game day thread .... for therein lies the lurkers, the nutters and the phsycholically imbalanced ...

And if this upsets anyone ... bugger you ... you are ****house, you are useless, you should never post again, etc etc ...

SNIFF SNIFF ,
Can you smell that ?

Im getting a whiff of someone cooking up a "not a true supporter " soup

Apart from just 2 long term mates, I never watch the football with anybody ... mainly because I want to watch the game ... but just as critically, I have had nightmare experiences having been forced to listen to the idiotic, ill-informed and abusive rantings of mugs and numbnuts for the entire game ... it IS ALWAYS someone's fault. and someone is always fukken useless and should be pissed off ... God save me ... where's a baseball bat when you need one!

So ... I never ever, ever, ever read the live game day thread .... for therein lies the lurkers, the nutters and the phsycholically imbalanced ...

And if this upsets anyone ... bugger you ... you are ****house, you are useless, you should never post again, etc etc ...

Psssh

Game day thread is awesome and should be 'protected' as an emotionally charged no-accountability thread.

For sure...I don't think I'd like to watch a game with people calling out what comments get posted, but as a thread, bring the crazyness on!

woohoo

Now obviously football based and delves into transfer windows etc but can see some common themes.

Certainly feel that match day threads are busier when we lose.....

And do think that there are types who seem to take some form of smug satisfaction from a loss...

Dunno, just found it a good read and thought I'd share
I can tell you with absolute certainty that we have a hire amount of traffic on the site when we lose or the team is travelling poorly. Some of our busiest times surround controversy on and off the field. That's mostly from the analytics I run in the background.

2009 - 2012 were some of the craziest times

It's an excellent article about online supporters @Disco . It's a long read and is obviously well researched. The writer introduces a number of themes which can easily be identified as common to this, and other NRL team forums.

I would definitely agree with you that match day threads on Silvertails are much busier when we lose. There are a few easily recognised members who love coming on during and after losses to put **** on players, coaching staff et al.

They are clearly much happier when we lose. They are even happier again when they can take out their mindless, bitter vitriol on whichever player/players have been judged as being responsible for the loss.

I am not talking about constructive criticism or fair comment, but what is often clearly offensive and abusive.

These posters know who they are. No point in naming them. Some of them are looking forward to Manly losing on Friday. They will come online, all smug and satisfied with themselves, just to bait the true supporters online at the time. If we win they won't turn up at all. They can go **** themselves. They are not Manly supporters, and never will be.
Go Manly.
Any one looking forward to their team losing in not a true fan of their team

Winning is what makes true supporters the happiest

When their team wins they feel on top of the world

When their team lose they feel sht .

How can any one be a supporter of their team if they do not support their team to win ?

Any one looking forward to their team losing in not a true fan of their team

Winning is what makes true supporters the happiest

When their team wins they feel on top of the world

When their team lose they feel sht .

How can any one be a supporter of their team if they do not support their team to win ?
I dont think its about looking forawrd to your team losing, more that when they lose there are more things to talk about. We are geared as humans to focus on negatives and controversy rather than positives. Our entire media has been indoctrinating us this way for years.

It follows quite logically, that when your team doesn't perform there is more to talk about and critique

I apply the same approach to supporting Manly as I applied to playing various team sports over the years & also coaching my son's soccer team for several years, & that is to never, ever have a go at a team mate when they make a mistake but instead show support & encouragement.

Negative behaviour towards a team mate after making a mistake can cause loss of confidence on their part, they (& the rest of the team) becoming uptight for fear of making another mistake & copping more abuse, which ultimately causes division in the squad.

We've seen it happen in the NRL this season - Gutherson at Moses & Opacic, Thompson at Herbert just last weekend - & no one likes to see it.

Just my approach - keep it positive & encouraging & players develop.

I dont think its about looking forawrd to your team losing, more that when they lose there are more things to talk about. We are geared as humans to focus on negatives and controversy rather than positives. Our entire media has been indoctrinating us this way for years.

It follows quite logically, that when your team doesn't perform there is more to talk about and critique
My wife starts stories to me with. Now james this is a listen to me story not a fixer Upperer
I dont need a remedy

Losses needs remedies while a win can only do with so many yippee doo daaahs

Consoling a loss with frustration is where its at.

Besides being a critique after a win, its just a matter of time before your given your marching orders for never being happy,

I read game day up until kick off and then after the game or the next morning. I love the emotion and beer stuff mostly

When we lose the ref posts would increase 10 fold by themselves. Cecchin will still be copping it on his death bed

I don't necessarily subscribe to the bulk theory that there are a heap of people on here that are happy when Manly loses. There are perhaps some but i don't think it applies to all.

Misery wants company. I know the feeling.The missus doesn't want to hear the sob story about Sirro running infield, Suli having one too many pies or that Des has lost the plot.

For many of us Silvertails are our only outlet.

Social media can be used positively but it tends to be more negative , For some people they can express there opinion without consequences
It's how the world connects these days

I don't necessarily subscribe to the bulk theory that there are a heap of people on here that are happy when Manly loses. There are perhaps some but i don't think it applies to all.

Not sure about bulk theory.

I think most recognize it is a vocal few.

The article wasnt shared as an attack on Manly fans or Silvertails members moreso just as a interesting read. That said you can definitely spot this type of behaviour across many online mediums

Interesting Perspective you have feathered friend

This is mine

Its all about the passion that consumes you .

The obsession of Winning

The emotional roller coaster of the exhilarating highs and the heart breaking Lows

The Pain and devastation of game day defeat where your whole weekend is fcked
and when your team does not win the Grand final your whole year is fcked

And we let ALL our emotions, Happy frustrated and sad on our Silvertails forum
and not just the negatives

is that another of saying that nobody wants to watch the game with you?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4