All charge-downs are now illegal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For the record, I do not believe that Josh Aloiai did anything wrong ... and for that matter I didn't think Joey Lussick did anything wrong either. He basically got sent off, charged and suspended only because Ilias broke his leg in the play.

If Ilias hadn't broken his leg at that point, Lussick would not have been suspended. After all, what did he actually do wrong??

Exactly the same (though thankfully with no broken bones) as with Aloiai. At no point did he attack Johnson's legs. If anything he actually tried to pull out at the last second more because of the impending collision with Cory Waddell than anything else.

I get protecting the kickers, but the fact is that now its virtually impossible to even try to tackle the kicker for fear that not only will it give away a penalty at the very least, but there is a good chance charging down a kick will get you put on report and a possible suspension.

Its like last week with Lussick and Ilias.

At no point was Lussick trying to do anything but stop the ball. He basically got charged and suspended only because Ilias broke his leg in the contact.

Funny how Johnson was playing on that leg injury thing last night..... right until they got the penalty at which point he was perfectly fine to jog up to the 10 and take the penalty kick, then play the full Golden Point time without having a leg problem :swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:
I cannot understand why Aloiai was charged. He goes for the ball, Johnson kicks him & gets the penalty. WTF!

For the record, I do not believe that Josh Aloiai did anything wrong ... and for that matter I didn't think Joey Lussick did anything wrong either. He basically got sent off, charged and suspended only because Ilias broke his leg in the play.

If Ilias hadn't broken his leg at that point, Lussick would not have been suspended. After all, what did he actually do wrong??

Exactly the same (though thankfully with no broken bones) as with Aloiai. At no point did he attack Johnson's legs. If anything he actually tried to pull out at the last second more because of the impending collision with Cory Waddell than anything else.

I get protecting the kickers, but the fact is that now its virtually impossible to even try to tackle the kicker for fear that not only will it give away a penalty at the very least, but there is a good chance charging down a kick will get you put on report and a possible suspension.
The new response for kickers

We form a circle , sing Kumbaya , and pray together in the hope he misses.

It was when the farcical penalty was awarded that I turned the telly off and then checked on the result in the news later...

Well what else can you do , touch the kicker and it’s a penalty / suspension.

May as well do the group sing along
Rules are rules for every team and the smart teams do not sit back and sing along and watch the kicker kick a field goal .
The smart teams will rush up to put the pressor and distract the kicker and go for a charge down just like the Raiders did tonight with foran and won the game
Whinging and Excuses dont win games only smart solutions do ,

I am not a massive Aloiai fan but that was a great effort play after making the previous tackle. Still dumbfounded by the penalty.
Perfect post to reply to, you put it succinctly.

I had been thinking those that said it was stupid of him to make the attempt would be the same to say he was a lazy player if the FG attempt was successful and he made no effort to stop it.

So when a Raiders player pushed Foran over after he attempted a field goal tonight why was nothing said or penalty given? Is the rule only about touching the leg?

I can see this being ridiculous in the future
Players hit late ...kind of ...play on
Players scraped on the way through....penalties
Thing is it's a really poor way to finish a game and I 100% feel if DCE has that shot at FG and we are leading 22 - 20 there's zero chance it's a Msnly penalty if say Wade Egan ran in the line of the ball and DCE had his ankle kiss him
I still feel there were other elements that gave them a shot to be close enough including the late try, but that decision for Aloiai putting a little heat on the kicker was dog****

Yes we never contest so Josh A out for a week which is absolute and utter bull****

Yep.

Trouble is, Manly could take in 5 biomechanical experts, show the running direction of Josh, the angles and acceleration of SJ's leg, the various spatial distances between the two players, the minimal force of contact, - basically prove the contact was not Josh's fault and the "independent judiciary" will go:

"How dare you challenge the MRC's ruling! guilty! Two weeks." derp derp derp

So (almost) what's the point. Three people on the executioners' bench judiciary who's only qualification seems to be they played the game and said they'd do the job, consistently rule against the player.
they seem aggrieved that they have to get out of bed/pub to come and do their 'one night a week' job.

It's not "innocent before proven guilty" with those 'independent' executioners.

It's: "the ref found something, the 'independent' mrc found something - therefore you're guilty and if you fight the charge.... we will find you guilty no matter the evidence."

It's a rort and something the rlpa could argue against if it ever grew teeth.

/rant

Rules are rules for every team and the smart teams do not sit back and sing along and watch the kicker kick a field goal .
The smart teams will rush up to put the pressor and distract the kicker and go for a charge down just like the Raiders did tonight with foran and won the game
Whinging and Excuses dont win games only smart solutions do ,

Foran helped Canberra no end with two things in his FG attempts. First, he was far too close to the dummy half, thus making it much easier for the Canberra defence. And second, to compound that, he took an age to set himself to kick the damn thing.

It showed why he's only kicked the one FG in his career. DCE and Johnson only missed because they either mis-kicked or just weren't accurate.

I think BTW that I have noticed the issue with DCE's 2 point attempts. Rather than just kicking the ball accurately like he does when he's say, 20 metres out (those kicks often go more than 40 metres) ... beyond the 40 he tries to kick the cover off the ball which usually results in a poorly executed attempt. If he kicked them like when closer, he'd still get the distance and most likely the accuracy.

1713130412972.png

Disgraceful.

Hoe on earth are you suppose to put pressure on kickers and receivers. The NRL have completely overstepped the mark here.

Foran helped Canberra no end with two things in his FG attempts. First, he was far too close to the dummy half, thus making it much easier for the Canberra defence. And second, to compound that, he took an age to set himself to kick the damn thing.

It showed why he's only kicked the one FG in his career. DCE and Johnson only missed because they either mis-kicked or just weren't accurate.

I think BTW that I have noticed the issue with DCE's 2 point attempts. Rather than just kicking the ball accurately like he does when he's say, 20 metres out (those kicks often go more than 40 metres) ... beyond the 40 he tries to kick the cover off the ball which usually results in a poorly executed attempt. If he kicked them like when closer, he'd still get the distance and most likely the accuracy.
From a Psychological Perspective...

Foz was fazed into missing the kick by the power of intimidation from the aggressive quick moving raiders defence
What does faze mean ? It means to disturb and bother some one and put them off their stride
Credit must also go to the Intimidating quick moving raiders defence

I'm shocked guys with all of the support with Aloiai. I've supported him on here all year with his form which I think has been good.

But in terms of the Warriors game, I'm furious with him. He cost us the win.

To be clear this whole thing has become a bit of a mess now on the charge down front. But after last week's ruling with Joey Lussick on Ilias, all players would know what not to do.

And Aloiai still did that.

A really dumb play and it cost us 1 competition point.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8