All charge-downs are now illegal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I just watched a replay from a few years ago (on The Fan) when Ryan Hoffman charged down an attempted field goal, coming in contact with the kicker's legs. He regathered the ball which went to Shawn Johnson who scored a great try. It was a marvellous moment. Johnson remembers it fondly. However:
as Mark (from Brisbane) said in another post, the latest NRL rule means we'll never see another charge-down without it being a penalty.
Oh what a tangled web the NRL weaves....

The crazy thing is that they actually brought in the rule around blocking kickers - as the riff were blatantly stopping players from getting anywhere near cleary when he was kicking.

So, you can’t block to stop a charge down but at the same time you now can’t charge down

And they wonder why everyone is so damn confused

Another ridiculous aspect of this rule is that you get the penalty from where the ball landed. OK, if that's set in stone what happens to the many successful charge-downs where the ball actually goes backwards?
Is the ref going to give the penalty from a less advantageous position then?
I guess the NRL will make up some flimsy explanation as to why not.

Its like last week with Lussick and Ilias.

At no point was Lussick trying to do anything but stop the ball. He basically got sent-off, charged and suspended only because Ilias broke his leg in the contact.

Funny how Johnson was playing on that leg injury thing last night..... right until they got the penalty at which point he was perfectly fine to jog up to the 10 and take the penalty kick, then play the full Golden Point time without having a leg problem :swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

Last edited:
Contest it I say - make an issue

The NRL rules still allow a charge down
Charge Down - is blocking the path of the ball with hands, arm or body as it rises from an opponent’s kick.

If a charge down is not allowed then the field goal and general kick in play has to be banned. Simple hand the ball over on 5th tackle

If a player fouls an opponent who is attempting a drop goal, a penalty kick shall be awarded in front of the goal posts - per 10a "Drop goal foul play on kicker"

Their issue is the subjective nature of "Foul play" interpretation - and the definition of that is wound up in such stupid legalese as to warrant the game open to manipulation.

Additional point - Im not sure who (Manly) it was that got hit on the chin in golden point with a stray shoulder in a tackle. But they did lay down to draw attention, the shoulder did hit the chin (just) so that is by definition "foul play". But it was play on, why..

Ridiculous ruling.

They need to ban field goals as they are effectively non defendable now.

Golden Point has to be DEAD.
Here's another scenario, the kicker has no motivation to get the fg, all they need to do is run as close to the line as possible and "attempt" a field goal, if there's contact, and that close to the line that's likely to happen, then get a penalty up close for the 2 points, so golden point is dead and the 2 point field goal is dead.

Here's another scenario, the kicker has no motivation to get the fg, all they need to do is run as close to the line as possible and "attempt" a field goal, if there's contact, and that close to the line that's likely to happen, then get a penalty up close for the 2 points, so golden point is dead and the 2 point field goal is dead.
They’ll be coaching this from Monday , it’s no longer about the 1 point but ALL about the penalty & the / points.

Contest it I say - make an issue

The NRL rules still allow a charge down
Charge Down - is blocking the path of the ball with hands, arm or body as it rises from an opponent’s kick.

If a charge down is not allowed then the field goal and general kick in play has to be banned. Simple hand the ball over on 5th tackle

If a player fouls an opponent who is attempting a drop goal, a penalty kick shall be awarded in front of the goal posts - per 10a "Drop goal foul play on kicker"

Their issue is the subjective nature of "Foul play" interpretation - and the definition of that is wound up in such stupid legalese as to warrant the game open to manipulation.

Additional point - Im not sure who (Manly) it was that got hit on the chin in golden point with a stray shoulder in a tackle. But they did lay down to draw attention, the shoulder did hit the chin (just) so that is by definition "foul play". But it was play on, why..

We never contest the charge.

This is from the NRL rule book make of it what you will

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 65
This game I grew up with is dead.
I mean the mindset was to compete over a bone every play
Now....with the game in the balance...you have to simply retreat away from the kicker and let him have a FREE shot at goal ???
Worst part imo was the defender actually ran in the path of the ball (not the player) and was still penalised????
I'm out on this call as was filthy about it and forever will be

I saw a telling piece of play in the 1st half of St Merge's win over the Tigpies.....

5th tackle, ball is passed back to Ben Hunt for a kick (a bomb). Aiden Seizer is chasing through.....Rather than accidentally collect the leg on the follow through and get suspended himself, Seizer pulled out of the chase about 2 metres out and just let Hunt kick the bomb.

The charge down is dead.

Edit: for the record, Seizer was chasing through from first marker and if he didn't change his objective he could have easily charged down the kick.

Last edited:
Another ridiculous aspect of this rule is that you get the penalty from where the ball landed. OK, if that's set in stone what happens to the many successful charge-downs where the ball actually goes backwards?
Is the ref going to give the penalty from a less advantageous position then?
I guess the NRL will make up some flimsy explanation as to why not.
I’ve also never understood getting the penalty where the ball lands on kicking infringements. Penalty where the foul occurs. Like every other penalty in a game.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8