• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why Narc?

For several reasons.

1 - This book is what people base their life on, the way they live the things they do and so much more. As a rule, who is it that has the right to be the person who gets to interperet what is a story and what isn't? Do you give people in particular many a Christian group the credit to be able to determine this and to see which parts of a book that has been translated (in many places very likely incorrectly) from other languages are truth, word for word, stories analogies and so on.

2 - You are not dealing with a modern or even clasically period novel or theory book, that adheres to current structure and popularised writing methods. In fact a lot of those language methodologies, then were not really popularised.

3 - For years, this book has been told to us as truth, as this is how it is. The language structure of the book is not designed in way that allows for "analogy of fact" it is written simply down the middle as one or the other. Sure an analogy of, this bread is my body, sure, but that is a metaphor not an analogy.

In what factual book do you hear a poem to describe an event etc without further explination of the even itself. An analogy is given to help explain somethied previously or to be immediately after explained. It is used to further assist the lamen, it is never just given "Here is an analogy" without the factual side being given.

And if it is a poem or a story?
It is still a poem or a story to describe FACT as the book sees it is lamen terms, so even so it still contradicts the teachings of the sciences discussed earlier.

Now I have rushed that through as I have a conference call, but I know Narc that you will get the meat of what i am saying

Not much to tell Narc.
It was about 20 years ago when we lived in Katoomba. Our backyard was the Blue Mountains. One evening around Dusk my older brother and I were at a lookout and saw this object darting in and out of the valleys. We have nothing on earth that can do that sort of thing. If anyone has been on the Gravitron at Easter show years ago , think of it about that size. No flashing lights or anything like that. It didnt make a sound either.
Havent seen ghosts but I dont dispute their existance either.

Where does it say the bible is a text book Dan?

Where do I?

No one basis their life off of a story book surely (Well scientologists aside anyway)

You cant have it both ways, it is about time christianity took a stance on it, stop changing to suit the climate, times and needs, either your sacred text is a book of fact or a book of fiction, or it may have a few stories that are pretty stories. Either way it is fact, fiction or stories that illistrate actual events.

Otherwise it is merely an older version of shakespeare if we play with it on your terms matas

That's quite a polarising stance Dan.

If that's your view on literature you cancel out most of the great works from categorisation.

Mata's point is pretty much it. God forbid our learning and understanding evolves.

Here you have a book that was written 2000 years ago. What was written about the Earth and how it arose was what many considered to be fact at the time. Now that that 'fact' has been pretty convincingly shown to be false, then the Church has looked at the facts and said "yeah, you're right. But it's still a good story".

That's the way I see it... but it would seem as though you're holding it to the regard that when it was written it should have been written with all of the facts (even though evolution wasn't even a possible thought back then).

Now having said that, there are a lot of factual elements to the Bible. It's historically recognised that there was a man by the name of Jesus that was causing enough of a ****storm to be executed. It's generally accepted that around the same time 'hell' was the name of what essentially was a dump in the middle of nowhere. On a less contentious point you have references to various leaders, locations and activities of the time... Now either you deny THOSE facts or you HAVE to agree that obviously, the book is part fact, part fiction. Well actually, YOU would have to argue that either God created the world in seven days OR that King Herod never lived (as you want to force the Bible to be all fact or all fiction). We'll give you a bone and let you agree that it can be both.

Finally, you have the problem that the Bible is not a book written by one person. It's a collection of 'books' and so now you seem to be implying that a collection of books must all be of the same genre, too.

You are not dealing with a modern or even clasically period novel or theory book...
For years, this book has been told to us as truth, as this is how it is.
[/quote]
And if it is a poem or a story?
It is still a poem or a story to describe FACT as the book sees it is lamen terms, so even so it still contradicts the teachings of the sciences discussed earlier.
[/quote]
OK, so you'd be happy if we changed the Bible to reflect fact? You seem to want to argue that the Bible should have been written as a fact book and that it should have got it all right the first time. Again, this is a problem with what you want the Bible to be, not with what the Bible is.

If you have a problem with it because it wrote down stuff that 2000 years later have been proven incorrect (despite never stating "this is fact") then what should we do with all the stupid stuff in Shakespeare that we know not to be true anymore?

Not much to tell Narc.
It was about 20 years ago when we lived in Katoomba. Our backyard was the Blue Mountains. One evening around Dusk my older brother and I were at a lookout and saw this object darting in and out of the valleys. We have nothing on earth that can do that sort of thing. If anyone has been on the Gravitron at Easter show years ago , think of it about that size. No flashing lights or anything like that. It didnt make a sound either.
Havent seen ghosts but I dont dispute their existance either.
That's really cool and something I'd love to see. We had an emergency trip to Perth once (driving from Newcastle to Perth non-stop, rotating drivers over the course of something like 40 hours) and as we went across the Nullabor I had the video camera out, just in case. Nothing came of it, though :(

Ghosts are something that really irritate me. My scientific mind says that they can't exist, but between myself and my family we've had enough 'situations' to believe otherwise. I grew up in the same house (moved there when I was 1, moved out when I was 22) and when we first got there mum had a 'conversation' with an old lady spirit that was in the house at the time. She was walking down the corridor at 3 in the morning and saw this woman standing at the end of the hall. She asked her who she was and she just said "I live here". Mum said something to the effect of "well, we live here too. You're welcome to stay, just don't hurt my children". I guess she was happy with that but for years my brother and I wouldn't go upstairs because of the old lady that lived up there. I remember the situations, but I don't remember the specifics.

Anyway, as we got older she pretty much disappeared, although my brother saw her in his bedroom doorway one night a few years back.

There was also the time I *believe* I was visited by my uncle, but that situation was fcuked up enough that I don't really know for sure :)

At the time my Brother and I had no idea what we were actually seeing , but the speed and precision it moved at was crazy.
I am dumb founded that people can believe in a god that they never see but refuse to believe in Aliens or ghosts that have been reported many , many times. As said earlier though , the only people that seem hell bent on coming forward after seeing UFO's or the like always seem to be country hicks. I spose I fit the bill then.

hahaha bloody ha.
Ive been off the gear for a little while now but I dont think I was on it when I was 7 years old.
There have been many sightings in the Blue Mountains over many years. Just like the Nullabor.
You either believe in them or not. Im definatley not going to turn it into a Mata-Dan style arguement.I frankly neither have the time or the energy to Wikipedia everything I want to say. ;)

Seeing as I don't like to let sleeping dogs lie...

"I frankly neither have the time or the energy to Wikipedia everything I want to say."

Neither does Daniel, apparently, as I'm still waiting for a reply to my last post to him :(

You guys are a lost cause.

Whats the point in arguing when neither of you are ever wrong.

Have you been reading this thread?

Sporadically.

I am at a crossroads with these bloody debates. I believe their must be a god, I just can't define what that exactly is. Therefore its hard to argue.

hahaha bloody ha.
Ive been off the gear for a little while now but I dont think I was on it when I was 7 years old.
There have been many sightings in the Blue Mountains over many years. Just like the Nullabor.
You either believe in them or not. Im definatley not going to turn it into a Mata-Dan style arguement.I frankly neither have the time or the energy to Wikipedia everything I want to say. ;)

As long as you didnt live in Bilpin mate!!!

I better not stir you too much as I want those Nikki Whelan type emails to keep coming!! :lol2:

Ahhhh Nikki Whelan. Been on holidays for a week so will have plenty to send on next week.
Im not one to push my beliefs on others. So not much chance of getting me stirred up.
Although , I did venture upon the Sydney UFO Society(Very highly regarded society) and they do a trip to the Blue Mountains every year as it is a hive of Alien activity.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4