Alex McKinnon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thanks for sharing Swoop, as GE says there are moments when you realise we don't know much about each others lives here.
Interesting about the spinal tissue, wonder if that is one area they are looking at with stem cell research.

Jax24 said:
I only wish it was him

Come on Jax, that's a bit over the top mate.

I doesn't upset me because it's part of the game and it's generally accidental. An accident of this nature is not confined to rugby league.

I just know what the kid has to go through, I've been there, done that.

I haven't seen any footage of the incident other than the clip above. If he was moving his arms and legs afterwards then there's a very good chance he won't end up in a wheelchair.

No one needs to feel pity or empathy for me, I've just gone on with life, the wheelchair is a bit of an inconvenience, but in this game you accept it and move on as best you can or die.

swoop said:
globaleagle said:
swoop said:
I broke my neck C5/C6 in 1978 playing rugby league and have been in a wheelchair since.

I sincerely hope he makes a full recovery.

Now I dunno what to say, except maybe I'm glad you still post on a forum of a game you really liked once!

What do you mean "a game I once liked". I still love the game with a passion. It was just an unfortunate accident.

FINE....you wanna fight?!!!!

globaleagle said:
swoop said:
globaleagle said:
swoop said:
I broke my neck C5/C6 in 1978 playing rugby league and have been in a wheelchair since.

Now I dunno what to say, except maybe I'm glad you still post on a forum of a game you really liked once!

What do you mean "a game I once liked". I still love the game with a passion. It was just an unfortunate accident.

I'll meet at the leagues club car park. lol.

I currently live 6 hours away and haven't been to any games for years but in the next month or so I'm moving to Kiama to live. I hope meet up with a few of you knuckle heads as Ill be able to get to a few games and have few beers with you.

Brissie Kid said:
Smith saying it was McKinnon's own fault for tucking his head back in. No acknowledgement from Smith that if he wasn't illegally lifted in the first place then McKinnon doesn't have to make a choice at all.

Not just that one tackle either.

The Storm appear to have replaced the third man coming in low and pulling the tackle down (now illegal), with instead the third man coming in under the thighs and lifting him over.

Roy Masters taking up the same point. The NRL makes a blanket rule change without thinking them through.

Alex McKinnon incident unfortunate consequence of cannonball tackle rule

The serious injury to Newcastle forward, Alex McKinnon, is an unfortunate consequence of the new rule prohibiting the third man in a tackle attacking the knees of a ball carrier.

Three Storm players tackled McKinnon in the match on Monday night, with one attempting to lift the 22-year-old’s leg and turn him, seeking to force him to the ground, or at least prevent him playing the ball quickly.

McKinnon dropped his head in the tackle, meaning it was the first point of contact with the ground.

Had there been no rule preventing the third man attacking the knees, it is likely he would have gone into the tackle around the legs, rather than join his other two partners in an unstable and potentially dangerous dance with McKinnon.

Put crudely, even cruelly, the NRL must ask what is more crucial: protecting a player’s knees, or his spine?

Blanket rules are vulnerable to unfortunate consequences, the better option being to allow the referee to punish low tackles which are dangerous and allow those which are not.

McKinnon’s coach, Wayne Bennett, was a member of the rules committee which voted in the new rule which has achieved its purpose: faster play-the-balls.

A distressed Bennett, who would opt for a healthy McKinnon over a thousand quick rucks, may dispute the notion that the new rule had anything to do with the injury.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/alex-mckinnon-incident-unfortunate-consequence-of-cannonball-tackle-rule-20140325-hvmkn.html

I don't see how anyone can draw the conclusion that this was anything other than a horrible accident. Young McLean looked pretty upset by what had happened. Thoughts are with Alex and his family.

swoop said:
globaleagle said:
swoop said:
globaleagle said:
swoop said:

Swoop, once you move to Kiama let me know and I would love to join you for a cool one. I live near Berry.

I'll meet at the leagues club car park. lol.

I currently live 6 hours away and haven't been to any games for years but in the next month or so I'm moving to Kiama to live. I hope meet up with a few of you knuckle heads as Ill be able to get to a few games and have few beers with you.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Thanks for sharing Swoop, as GE says there are moments when you realise we don't know much about each others lives here.
Interesting about the spinal tissue, wonder if that is one area they are looking at with stem cell research.

Jax24 said:
I only wish it was him

Come on Jax, that's a bit over the top mate.

Yeah sorry guys it was a little over the top. Let my emotions get the best of me. However the way that Smith handled himself after the incident was a little classless.

I have a mate that wound up in a wheelchair playing footy too. He's always had a great attitude, went on to marry and have kids.

Sadly, it's a occupational hazard in our game, but thankfully isolated.

I'm not going to speculate or lay blame, just wish Alex well and a speedy recovery...and also thank you to SWOOP for sharing, too.

All the best to you as well mate.

I hope he makes a full recovery. It's a horrible thing when you don't know how bad your injured.

That prick cam smith really deserves to be pegged to a bull ants nest on a 45 deg day.

I just heard on 2ue sports today a statement read from the hospital, saying he only had feeling in his right arm (ie possibly none elsewhere). Not looking good..

Lord Eagleton said:
I just heard on 2ue sports today a statement read from the hospital, saying he only had feeling in his right arm (ie possibly none elsewhere). Not looking good..

His big plus is that the spinal cord hasn't been severed. Having said that it depends how bad the bruising and swelling on the spinal cord.

If he can still move his arms and legs he should be ok. If he can't the bruising and swelling subside and he'll get some recovery back but how much is anyone guess.

I hope he has a full recovery.

I think we should shut this thread down in respect of the seriousness and the unknown...We don't need speculation or accusations.

I think this sums it up moderators...terrible news and we all wish him well of course, but

Family and Club officials remain with Alex in hospital. The Club requests Alex and his family's privacy is respected at this time

Surely, after shattering news like this, there cannot be any people who still think NRL players are over paid. They deserve every $ they can make plus some IMO.

I know he's only young, but Maclean needs at least 5 weeks. I still can not believe Smith was arguing the point with the refs. Mc Kinninon thought he was going over the falls and tucked his head in hoping for the best.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4