Alex McKinnon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just switched on Foxtel to see this news...

Whatever issues or rivalry we have with the Knights, that is damn classy and decent!

I hope it doesn't count in their cap.

Well done Newcastle and once again, all the best to Alex and co. Continued recovery.

Clint said:
It's been confirmed that Alex's contract will be exempt from the cap. A win for common sense.

I'm sure the storm will lodge a complaint.

Clint said:
It's been confirmed that Alex's contract will be exempt from the cap. A win for common sense.

Agreed, but this sets a precedent and one that the NRL won't surely be able to replicate for every footballer who's career is ended by injury.
Have they done the same for Richie F?

Yeah I must give credit to the knights how they have handled the situation.

They have been very professional and seem to be making every effort to ensure he is taken care of.

Well done knights!

The mind is an amazing thing. Stay positive Alex.

Newcastle forward Alex McKinnon has had weak signs of muscle contraction in his legs as he continues his recovery from a serious spinal injury.

The Knights released an update on McKinnon's condition on Wednesday, with the 22-year-old claiming he's had some improvement over the past three weeks including increased movement in his left arm.

"Had a few little changes ... a lot more movement in my left arm," he said.

"When I'm on a tilt table on my back with the physio, I'm starting to do these little squats. I was pretty stoked about that.

"That's obviously a great thing when my goal is to be back walking. Obviously to have a bit of movement in my legs is massive for me and something that I will carry with me through the weeks where I don't get much improvement."

The exercise McKinnon was discussing involves an assisted partial strengthening of his legs with the tilt table removing the resistance of gravity.

McKinnon says he's keeping upbeat though he knows he faces a long recovery process that could be unknown for up to two years.

"It's going to be a tough ride and I realise next weekend I'm not going to be back to normal or even increasing," he said.

"I realise it's going to take a long time to realise where I'm at."

McKinnon is still lacking fine motor control in his hands and says that is a particular area he is aiming to get results in.

"That's one thing I'd really like to work on which I can't really control," he said.

"Just to get back to simple things like answering a phone call or texting.

"Over the next few weeks, I would like to get my fingers back but, when you talk about things like this, I can't control them.

"I'm very happy with what's come back so far but, obviously, I've got a long way to go in the process."

What an impressive man Alex M is.
I have listed and watched him as he begins what is an incredible battle.
I heard an interview on 2ue last night and the courage it takes to explain in details what he is going through is very inspiring.
Sometimes as league fans we think of toughness as being a crunching tackle or playing on with an injury.In life though when many are faced with adversity and a challenge they look away or hide.
Alex Mckinnon is setting an example to the greater community of a fine young man that was part of rugby league.Many of the games young players have shown a very different example but we should hold this guy up to the sporting worls and be very very proud of him.

I must say, I was really happy to see that his colour has returned and he seemed really animated.:)

So maybe the stress/fear of permanent disability has now eased :angel:

What a contrast - Alex v Junior/Fergie :sleepy:

That's really encouraging and I hope Alex continues to improve.
As he said, it may take up to a year to gauge just exactly how much movement he can regain.

Footy rivalry aside, it's been a very rough year for the Knights thus far. On this issue I hope Alex Mac and Newcastle have nothing but good news from now on.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6