Albert Hopoate Gone?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think he was gone some time ago. The clue is when Daddy Hoppa had a crack at the club in August when his kid didnt get the chance he thought he deserved.

When I think of what our club has done for the Hoppa clan and the kicks in the teeth the club has got in return shows that they are more interested in feathering their nests than demonstrating loyalty.

The telling thing for me is the club were happy to let him go out on loan and from what I saw he is a long way from the finished article after two ACL injuries. My guess is he will end up at the Filth dogs.

If he was offered a 2 year deal and knocked it back, well for a rookie thats pretty generous, especially a rookie with ACL history.

End of the day we want players who want to represent us. If he wants out, so be it!

Yep. It would be sad to see him turn into a gun player at another club....but, even though he's still a young kid I found his debut underwhelming - probably due to the hype before he played.
Plus the fact that his dad is certifiably nuts and not a loyal Manly man.
I still remember footage of Will as young bloke, so excited after winning the GF in '11. Filming it all on his phone. Partying with the crowd. Thought he'd be a good Manly man.
Then we all know what happened a couple of days later.
So bye Albert. I hope you grow up into a good man.

I'm pleased Manly hasn't got involved in a bidding war for him. Having his dad 'guiding' his career would appear to be quite a big obstacle to overcome so Good luck to Hoppa Jnr, I wish him well.
Yep you can only wish him hoppa junior the best for the future, we want players going forward who have the club's best interest at heart.

Rex Mossop and Ferris Ashton on Controversy Corner.
Thanks Bob, still enjoy listening to these guys take on the game after all these years (below).

On topic, to progress this team to the next level it's going to be tough so we need players who really want to be here. And there's nothing to say he won't return to the club in a couple of years to play with his old mates.

I'm pleased Manly hasn't got involved in a bidding war for him. Having his dad 'guiding' his career would appear to be quite a big obstacle to overcome so Good luck to Hoppa Jnr, I wish him well.
Nailed it, Albert is a good kid but not getting good support or advice. Unfortunately there isnt a lot of interest in the market for him.

He may well go onto huge success or abject mediocrity. Hard to tell.
Things that stand out are obviously his glittering junior career played against kids. He was obviously well advanced in that arena.
What showed to me when he debuted in the big boys comp was his size seemed small and stocky. Not a turbo long and tall or a papenhausen slight of foot and fast.
I get the feeling he will fill out in the coming years to be very stocky and strong. Not exactly what we need right now.

Yep. It would be sad to see him turn into a gun player at another club....but, even though he's still a young kid I found his debut underwhelming - probably due to the hype before he played.
Plus the fact that his dad is certifiably nuts and not a loyal Manly man.
I still remember footage of Will as young bloke, so excited after winning the GF in '11. Filming it all on his phone. Partying with the crowd. Thought he'd be a good Manly man.
Then we all know what happened a couple of days later.
So bye Albert. I hope you grow up into a good man.
He certainly might turn out to be a fabulous player but on what we saw at Manly this year based on that form alone - at the moment he is a long long way short of NRL standard. He was a turnstyle in defence - had no idea on his positional defence and offered absolutely zero in attack. That is just plain reality. Schuster on the other hand came in and owned the game from the first second - Schu showed he belongs and now. Hopoate might belong in time but based on what he showed us to date - it will be at least two years before he might be anything. Do we wait for two years on a maybe - I say nope - pass. We need some now type players - we have enough other juniors coming through for the future - Burbo, young Fainu - etc

Last edited:
He certainly might turn out to be a fabulous player but on what we saw at Manly this year based on that from alone - at the moment he is a long long way short of NRL standard. He was a turnstyle in defence - had no idea on his positional defence and offered absolutely zero in attack. That is just plain reality. Schuster on the other hand came in and owned the game from the first second - Schu showed he belongs and now. Hopoate might belong in time but based on what he showed us to date - it will be at least two years before he might be anything. Do we wait for two years on a maybe - I say nope - pass. We need some now type players - we have enough other juniors coming through for the future - Burbo, young Fainu - etc

And if/when he does come good in two years it’ll be about the time he’s due to take two years off to spread the word.

Will has had a good career but what could have been if he played on instead of taking two years off.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4