AFL to ban gene tests on recruits

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

candy

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/afl-to-ban-gene-tests-on-recruits/2005/06/22/1119321797116.html

Thoughts?

I think RL should consider its use. Just imagine if you could spot the "crapping in a shoe", " hoppa finger", "mobile fire up", "next to the female dorm" or "late night club drunken & disorderly" gene in advance. The administrators could save a fortune in time and money. Bring it on.

"Essendon football manager Dominic Cato said the Bombers had been introduced to the idea during a shared training session with Manly in February, but he said the Bombers also had their own moral and ethical concerns."

interesting comment. I wonder if our club was looking at it?

Are they saying you can match DNA data with key physical attributes to see if someone can play, Before even kicking a ball?

I think that it could stop players early in their careers being offered opportunities. Would Alan Langer have been given a go (way too small)? Seriously, I believe it would hold people back. The most important ingredient is in personality with the will-to-win and courage being high on the list. Would these be able to be identified?

I think Manly were more interested in DNA testing for designing training progammes and injury rehab rather than selecting recruits etc.

Having said that Olympic sports both here in Oz and overseas have been doing somehting similiar for years.

we should just start a king bashing forum - every thread someone posts something - then we get a few more king bashings and the thread is lost

Wheel is on the money when he talks about designing training programmes that match up to a profile of an athlete. Speed, endurance etc would be enhanced. There was an article on this and Manly earlier in the year.

Recruitment was not the issue!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4