• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Very interesting. Thanks for the insight. Another question then from those who were around the beaches in our silvertail area.. how is it that we were such a rich club buying whoever we wanted to the point we were a powerhouse club but not so anymore? Is it because the corporate world has moved beyond or is it because we had wealthy benefactors involved with the club? Such a big fall from grace from where we used to be financially

Firstly, a large and successful Leagues Club with pokies .... Secondly, see Firstly, ... Thirdly, see Firstly and Secondly ... plus excellent stewardship by Arko ...

This started to change when the tastes of the Silvertails outgrew a night at a smoke filled club .... whilst the denizens of the deep Western Suburbs, tradies etc started to get more disposable cash and the thought of going to the club was the creme de la creme ....

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight. Another question then from those who were around the beaches in our silvertail area.. how is it that we were such a rich club buying whoever we wanted to the point we were a powerhouse club but not so anymore? Is it because the corporate world has moved beyond or is it because we had wealthy benefactors involved with the club? Such a big fall from grace from where we used to be financially
Because the "new" people that have moved in to the area didn't grow up here, aren't the same socio economic status and just don't have the connection to the club or for that matter even League that longtime locals that grew up in the area do ......

A lot of the people that live in my part of the Northern Beaches are old retired cxnts from the upper North Shore (No offence to old retired cxnts from the upper north shore) but they wouldn't even know where Brookie is and they'd probably prefer to go and watch Scotts play Riverview in schoolboy rugby..

Here's my take on it:

Manly was a really rich club relative to other clubs when it was a Sydney-based comp.

This is because of professional management through the 70s and 80s when other clubs were very amateurish. Manly had corporate sponsors, a thriving leagues club and lots of local sponsors (we still do have these little local sponsors - many more than lots of clubs).

So compared to the others at the time we were flush with cash.

When it became superleague and the NRL Manly's wealth paled in comparison to the new environment. Famously Arko spent some manly reserves fighting superleague which left a hole.

But nowadays every club needs a lot more money to run than in the past - and all but the broncos I think rely on the annual NRL grant. In the 70s and 80s it was cheaper to run a footy club - many players got paid well, but just as many had day jobs.
People easily forget that when it mattered most, and the entire competition was on the line, it was Arko putting his $ where his mouth was. Manly saved rugby league in this country... Fast forward to today, Covid threatens the comp again, the administration tables financial support in proportion with how vulnerable a club is, and the roosters and uncle nick spit the dummy. We were once the true Silvertails, I wear this nickname with pride, because I know in my heart, we gave it all up for the sake of everyone else- and not bitch and moan like the wealthy ones today

I'm a little perplexed about those on here who are perplexed at us trying to reason the departure of AFB.
1. Silvertails does not exist without incessant speculation. Without it the Silvertails website would simply be a home page that said: We love Manly without comment or question. Now that'd be a mozza for Dan.
2. This came OUT OF NOWHERE.
3. He had two years to go on his contract.
AND
4. The excuse was one for the ages. Of course something as vague as having to get out of Sydney for his family will raise a million questions.
Is someone sick? No.
His wife has to be closer to family in Townsville or Brisbane or the Gold Coast or Auckland. What? She doesn't have any favourite relatives to be near? Pick a rello, any rello?
He was born and raised in Sydney. Is he trying to get away from family?
Has he upset someone or a group of people in Sydney?

Why would anyone not have a million questions?

Last edited:
People easily forget that when it mattered most, and the entire competition was on the line, it was Arko putting his $ where his mouth was. Manly saved rugby league in this country... Fast forward to today, Covid threatens the comp again, the administration tables financial support in proportion with how vulnerable a club is, and the roosters and uncle nick spit the dummy. We were once the true Silvertails, I wear this nickname with pride, because I know in my heart, we gave it all up for the sake of everyone else- and not bitch and moan like the wealthy ones today
Another thing Manly saved a number of clubs from Bankruptcy including the Sharks - we (Arko) gave them money to keep afloat. That generosity increased during super league.

The Leagues club gave all their cash to the Leagues Car park, football club, basically funded the Arko stand and didn’t invest in their own premises. DY RSL did and took over as the club of choice for locals. This in addition to changing attitudes saw the club decline quickly - the river of gold dried up.

These idiots want to be Gangsta ...... It's a big part of the culture of that area (not just Poly boys) I've got white mates from out there that call themselves gangsta because they live there. That's what a heap of them want to be. In reality they are as gangsta as my hairy white arse.

I've got bigger things to worry about ...... I was just told Turkish bread is ****en bad for me? WTF?

It is one of the worst things you can eat (high in GI / refined carbs)....it is a killer as it tastes tooooooo good

It is one of the worst things you can eat (high in GI / refined carbs)....it is a killer as it tastes tooooooo good
With my wife now a Diabetic our diet ( I needed to lose at least 20kg) changed overnight back in March , shes lost 15kg, me 13kg ( 10 to go) and the two big things to be cut out of our diet is

Bread ( we still have low carb wraps )

Booze ( that one hurts but I still have two beers a week).

We used to LOVE our sourdough and Turkish bread , until we found out how many carbs are in there !!!

With my wife now a Diabetic our diet ( I needed to lose at least 20kg) changed overnight back in March , shes lost 15kg, me 13kg ( 10 to go) and the two big things to be cut out of our diet is

We used to LOVE our sourdough and Turkish bread , until we found out how many carbs are in there !!!
You should be able to get some Pure Blond down there, Mark. A pretty decent low carb beer. I've been on it since going Keto, until the suppliers over here stopped bringing it in for some inexplicable reason :banghead:

You should be able to get some Pure Blond down there, Mark. A pretty decent low carb beer. I've been on it since going Keto, until the suppliers over here stopped bringing it in for some inexplicable reason :banghead:
Yep I’m actually on Hahn Super Dry at present , about 50% less carbs I think.

Im not the diabetic but I’ve just adopted the same food approach to make life easier for my wife.

And there’s no doubt it works.

So you knew Turkish bread was bad too. FMD. Everyone but me seems to know this? I thought it was healthy! I guess that means pIes and sausage rolls ain't that good too.... are wraps healthy?

So you knew Turkish bread was bad too. FMD. Everyone but me seems to know this? I thought it was healthy! I guess that means pIes and sausage rolls ain't that good too.... are wraps healthy?
Low carb wraps are healthy , taste like cardboard but are great for you !!

TRUTH BEHIND SHOCK AFB REQUEST

Addin Fonua-Blake’s wife has hitout at claims she was the driving force behind Fonua-Blake’s shock decision to request an early exit from the Sea Eagles. Fonua-Blake informed the club on Monday of his desire to get out of Sydney with the club giving him permission to negotiate with the three Queensland-based sides and the Warriors.

His wife Ana took to Instagram to dispel suggestions she wanted the move.

“I am not the reason why Addin wants to leave Manly,” she said in a video. “I never gave the man an ultimatum. I didn’t know much about this until Monday. I think I avoided the conversation.

“I am not the reason he is leaving Manly. All our family is based in Sydney. We do have family in New Zealand and we do have family in Brisbane. Our support system is in Sydney. We do have four kids so getting up and leaving is pretty tough

“Addin asked for a fresh start. Eventually I’ll come to terms with it. Change is always a good thing.”

TRUTH BEHIND SHOCK AFB REQUEST

Addin Fonua-Blake’s wife has hitout at claims she was the driving force behind Fonua-Blake’s shock decision to request an early exit from the Sea Eagles. Fonua-Blake informed the club on Monday of his desire to get out of Sydney with the club giving him permission to negotiate with the three Queensland-based sides and the Warriors.

His wife Ana took to Instagram to dispel suggestions she wanted the move.

“I am not the reason why Addin wants to leave Manly,” she said in a video. “I never gave the man an ultimatum. I didn’t know much about this until Monday. I think I avoided the conversation.

“I am not the reason he is leaving Manly. All our family is based in Sydney. We do have family in New Zealand and we do have family in Brisbane. Our support system is in Sydney. We do have four kids so getting up and leaving is pretty tough

“Addin asked for a fresh start. Eventually I’ll come to terms with it. Change is always a good thing.”

She didnt know about it until Monday?

So communication isn't a big thing in their marriage?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4