AE perspective

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Let's liken the various Manly sites to Radio Stations. It will provide a very good perspective on the various "demographics" of the sites.

MSE is 2Day FM - Home of cheap gimmicky games and mushy, slushy music. There is very little thought required. Just a whole lot of angst ridden teenagers singing pretty love songs and a Hot 30 Countdown every night. News bulletins focus on the latest celebrity gossip. You can listen to it all day and not learn one thing new about the world or find anything to challenge one brain cell. Feelgood, populist crap.

OEE is Triple M:
There's a slightly harder edge to the music but the playlist is strictly controlled and it's basically a selection of the non-electronic mush that has populated the Top 40 over the past three decades. U2 and Coldplay are considered cutting edge and frequenters of this site wear their "alternate" spurs with pride, but its corporatised, marketed, packaged alternativism for people who want to be different without giving the "how" of the task too much time or attention. You may find one gem of humour or news in an entire day of listening.

AE is Triple J: Quite a bit of the content is nauseating as the intention is to be as anti-commercial as possible. So there's nothing comfortable about the place and in some respects it has a tendency to take itself too seriously. There is a hard-bitten cynical edge and a desire to double guess everything (eg the only reason Vince Sorrenti is on the Footy Show is for cross promotion purposes. And only OEE and MSE people would find him funny). There is a good degree of elitism evident too. A sneering disdain for the unwashed herd. However, a lot of the time there is an enquiring edge to the discussion, a willingness to debate and argue vigorously and an awful lot of knowledge and intelligence on display.

In summary, the former two are the home of populism and short sighted sentiment. The latter is a hard-edged, cynical hot bed of intrigue and debate.

Not the cup of tea for most, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

A Sydney semi underground radio station. Have a few friends who DJ on it. One of them runs a punk hour of all old school aussie punk and some MC5 and Stooges etc.

http://www.fbi.org.au/

yup he plays Saints, birdman, gurus etc

but he isnt on it anymore as they are a bit more commercial. I will call him and find out where he is though as I know he still does one or two

FBI was fast becoming the new triple j - playing a lot of local bands that havnt been signed (this has reduced significantly on triple j).

Duff's band has been aired on FBI a few times.

I just dont htink you get the movie then.

It has always been my boyhood dream to own a record store. So I went to manage one for a while and couldnt stand the owner, it was just ludicrous..... so i left and came back to IT......

Still High Fidelity is an awesome movie, Nick hornby is a great writer

Fro its clear you just didnt get up early enough!

Mate I was up at 7:30..... and trust me that is a huge achievemnt for a fan of 8:30 - 9:00 like me :)

empire records was also very good but very much in the "Clerks" mould and trying to be similar. Dont get me wrong I loved the movie as well as Airheads. But having loved the High Fidelity book, the movie was a very welcome adaptation

ahh Airheads, now your talking, that was a classic.

havent seen clerks, so that may be why I prefered E R.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4