Adam Cuthbertson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Cuthbertson's divine inspiration

Adrian Proszenko | July 22, 2007

NEWCASTLE and Wests Tigers have joined the race for promising young Manly forward Adam Cuthbertson's signature.

And the back-rower has credited finding Christianity a year ago as the catalyst for his stunning rise from obscurity.

Cuthbertson has been a revelation for the Sea Eagles, following up his man-of-the-match performance against the Tigers last week with the matchwinning try in Manly's victory against Cronulla on Friday night.

His recent heroics have piqued the interest of rival clubs, with five now in the market for his services. Cuthbertson's manager, Andrew Purcell, declined to nominate the interested parties but The Sun-Herald has learned the Knights and Tigers are keen to add him to their rosters. The Sea Eagles are also hopeful of retaining him.

Cuthbertson, a Manly junior, indicated his first preference was to stay put, before revealing the role the church had in his transformation from a fringe player to an integral part of the Sea Eagles' campaign.

"It's been a big part of my life in the last year or so," he said of the Oxford Falls Christian City Church. "I went there with an open mind and it's helped me to become a better person.

"I really believe in myself. I went there with my best mate [Ben Milliken] and I've never looked back.

"They're awesome people. It's been great to see life from a different angle. It's helped me pick up my game by believing in myself."

The 22-year-old has played Australian Schoolboys rugby union and league, but said the latter code was his present focus.

"I'd have a look at union again at some stage but my goal is to be a dominant figure in rugby league," he said.

"If I can do that, down the track I may look at rugby."

Meanwhile, young Shark Dane Nielsen, who made his debut against Manly, has attracted interest from Canberra.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully Doug can shed some light on this situation.

Yes very important to re-sign him asap, he will only get better.

Although to hear Gould rave on about him he might end up on more money than Lyon.

Gould has been drooling over him like there's no tomorrow. Isn't it funny how 2 wks ago no one in the media or the game, outside of Manly, had ever heard of him, and now they are going on as if he is the Prop Messiah!

What is funny is how most NRL clubs for the past 10 or so years have been gradually weeding out players like Cuthbo in favour of the proto type athlete that can run as fast as a back stripping them of skill in the search for speed and fitness and when one comes through that breaks that mould everyone starts wetting themself

His performances have been outstanding. Even the try he scored on Friday he had the nouse to hold the ball under his chest and promote it at exactly the right moment. 5 clubs? Ouch. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't stick with us after everything we have done.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4