Accidental offside

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
What is a player who finds himself in this position to do?
Joel dives on the ball, not knowing it was accidentally touched by a teammate, and is penalised. Very harsh, and if that is the rule then it should be changed.
If he knew it was deliberately touched what should he do? Wait until the opposition pick up the ball and start to run? If he tackles that person isn't he in an offside position and will then be penalised?
I sincerely seek clarity on the situation.
It seems to me that anything he did would have resulted in a penalty.

And while on the Joel penalty: who ruled it? I was at the ground and it looked like it was play on so it couldn't have been the ref.
Did the bunker intervene? If so, what gives them the right to pick and chose when they interfere?

Re the above penalty:
Who ruled it? I was at the ground and it looked like play-on, so it couldn't have been the ref. Was it the pocket ref? Was it the Bunker?
If the Bunker, what right do they have to pick and choose when to interfere?

Re the above penalty:
Who ruled it? I was at the ground and it looked like play-on, so it couldn't have been the ref. Was it the pocket ref? Was it the Bunker?
If the Bunker, what right do they have to pick and choose when to interfere?

Certainly called by the nearest ref, as to if he was alerted by the bunker who knows.

To me it was accidental so at worst a scrum ( feed to the Drizzle).

To lose that game that way sucked , majorly!!

Accidental offside . According to NRL rule book ,

Where the Referee is satisfied that interference with play by an offside player is accidental he should order a scrum.

I take it as the rule is up to the descretion of the referees
In Thompson case he would not have been sure Hodkinson actually touched the ball as he was trying to avoid it , in which case it accidentally hits Hodkinson,then Thompson picks the ball up , you could argue Thompson plays at the ball accidently cause he didn’t know it was touched by Hodkinson
The bunker had to have intervened there is no way the ref would have clearly seen that Hodkinson has touched the ball as he was ducking underneath the ball
But you could argue that Thompson did take the ball in an offside position cause it had touched Hodkinson
Tough call to make ,common sense ruling would be a scrum Unfortunately that is how the game is run now with no commonsense

Accidental offside . According to NRL rule book ,

Where the Referee is satisfied that interference with play by an offside player is accidental he should order a scrum.

I take it as the rule is up to the descretion of the referees
In Thompson case he would not have been sure Hodkinson actually touched the ball as he was trying to avoid it , in which case it accidentally hits Hodkinson,then Thompson picks the ball up , you could argue Thompson plays at the ball accidently cause he didn’t know it was touched by Hodkinson
The bunker had to have intervened there is no way the ref would have clearly seen that Hodkinson has touched the ball as he was ducking underneath the ball
But you could argue that Thompson did take the ball in an offside position cause it had touched Hodkinson
Tough call to make ,common sense ruling would be a scrum Unfortunately that is how the game is run now with no commonsense
Thanks. But that backs up a few of my points;
1. how does the ref know it is accidental or deliberate?
2. if the player allows an opponent to pick up the ball then tackles him won't be be ruled to be offside, and therefore a penalty?
What is a player to do when the situation arises again in order to avoid giving away a penalty?

Thanks. But that backs up a few of my points;
1. how does the ref know it is accidental or deliberate?
2. if the player allows an opponent to pick up the ball then tackles him won't be be ruled to be offside, and therefore a penalty?
What is a player to do when the situation arises again in order to avoid giving away a penalty?
In the Hodkinson instance purely accidental and difficult to determine if he actually did touch it ,they had to look at in replay in the bunker that’s why it took so long to give the penalty
If it clearly bounced off his head and Thompson did pick it up well it’s a penalty , as for allowing someone else to pick it up he just has to let it go or it will be a penalty just have to hope you have more cover to end the play

In the Hodkinson instance purely accidental and difficult to determine if he actually did touch it ,they had to look at in replay in the bunker that’s why it took so long to give the penalty
If it clearly bounced off his head and Thompson did pick it up well it’s a penalty , as for allowing someone else to pick it up he just has to let it go or it will be a penalty just have to hope you have more cover to end the play
I'm fairly certain that the same thing happened the third S of O , a NSW player caught the ball as it bounced of another player and the referee ruled it an accidental offside instead of the penalty that it should've been

I'm fairly certain that the same thing happened the third S of O , a NSW player caught the ball as it bounced of another player and the referee ruled it an accidental offside instead of the penalty that it should've been

Yep thought the same

Its hard not to take that penalty personally....9 out of 10 times you would find a scrum in that instance.
It was not an educated grab by Thompson....was a lottery ball near his try line you are taught to dive on from 6 years of age....probably not as bad as that blatant forward pass, but a shocking call.

If you determine that Hodkinson accidentally touches it,it is Thompson that is in the wrong and he creates the offside.In that situation if the ball had hit Thompson and he wasn’t playing at it,then that’s accidental offside.Hodkinson had no time to react in that situation but a player is deemed to have played at the ball if he is trying to avoid it.The simple thing is,the ref got it right

One of the refs called it,not the bunker.The ref who called it couldn’t get the attention of the controlling ref straight away

Can someone put up vision of the incident because I'm still confused. Being at the game means I couldn't study the incident.

Yes, just checked the replay, at the 25th minute Slater puts in a grubber and it hits Moloney and Cordner catches it in an offside position and the ref says "accidental offside, scrum QLD'', go figure, even the Nine commentators are perplexed.
https://www.9now.com.au/state-of-origin/2018/episode-8

And that’s what we face each and every week, different interpretations!!

In my opinion accidental offsides should only result in a scrum NOT a penalty.

If Hodko played at the ball with his hands , and Thommo dived on it, bingo , penalty every day!!

i might be wrong but at the time i thought the referee didn't blow his whistle until after the next play the ball & if so i didn't think they could go back once the next play has began
That happened to DCE in game last year not sure which game ,when DCE got pulled off the or run off the mark when trying to get to dummy half the opposing player got to the ball then they played the ball and ref said they couldn’t go back after the ball was played
Just so many inconsistencies in the game

If you determine that Hodkinson accidentally touches it,it is Thompson that is in the wrong and he creates the offside.In that situation if the ball had hit Thompson and he wasn’t playing at it,then that’s accidental offside.Hodkinson had no time to react in that situation but a player is deemed to have played at the ball if he is trying to avoid it.The simple thing is,the ref got it right
I agree with you just hate how that turns out to be a penalty under which it came about

i might be wrong but at the time i thought the referee didn't blow his whistle until after the next play the ball & if so i didn't think they could go back once the next play has began
The non controlling ref spotted it immediately but couldn’t get the attention of the head ref in time before Thompson played the ball.So they did call it in time

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8