Accepting mediocrity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Peter C

Bencher
Gallant Sea Eagles go down to Rabbitohs

A gallant Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffered a 26-12 loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs in wet conditions at Lottoland last night in Round 2 of the NRL Telstra Premiership

This was the headline of the email that all the members would have received yesterday, to me being gallant is lifting yourself off the ground constantly, we let in some very soft tries, and one scored just on half time on the last play is unforgivable.
Sure we played better than the week before the opposition wasn't as slick, but we still lost by 14 points, and six points came when a player was sin binned and our hooker caught everyone by surprise and actually ran with the ball to score , looks like our club has adopted the North Sydney mantra of near enough is good enough.
The 1978 team was gallant

The Rabbits pumped almost 30 points past our paper thin defense (in the pouring rain). Don't forget, they lost their starting half back, and their replacement tore DCE a new arsehole.

Hearing our players praise their effort after that, really shows what level our club has fallen to. Reminds me of the Peter Sharpe days, who also used to claim "improved effort" defeat after defeat.

Gallant Sea Eagles go down to Rabbitohs

A gallant Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffered a 26-12 loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs in wet conditions at Lottoland last night in Round 2 of the NRL Telstra Premiership

This was the headline of the email that all the members would have received yesterday, to me being gallant is lifting yourself off the ground constantly, we let in some very soft tries, and one scored just on half time on the last play is unforgivable.
Sure we played better than the week before the opposition wasn't as slick, but we still lost by 14 points, and six points came when a player was sin binned and our hooker caught everyone by surprise and actually ran with the ball to score , looks like our club has adopted the North Sydney mantra of near enough is good enough.
The 1978 team was gallant
I thought EXACTLY the same thing? WTF.

Spare a thought for the writer of the report. He is in the propaganda business. I had my own PR business for 40 years so I know how to put a good spin on something, or at least minimise negativity.
His draft story would have been checked, re-drafted and scrutinised by his bosses before being approved for release.
So I admire the word 'Gallant' which insinuates that the team tried hard against insurmountable odds.
Other much-used weasel-words are "Difficult" (which the conditions were); "Confronting" (which the backline of Souffs' is); "Disappointing" (which the end result was).
Don't shoot the messenger. He has a job to do. We know the truth. If anyone needs to come clean on the reality of our recent performances it is DESpicable.

You cannot sugar coat how inept last Saturdays loss was.

When the game was on the line at 12-14 we made the same stupid mistakes and allowed them to score a soft try from dummy half.

Our weaknesses are glaring! We do not control the ball, get reset sets, we get smashed at the play the ball every week as we do not have a cohesive 9. Our defence is passive. They way we deal with attacking kicks costs us every week. We are not creating many opportunities and our 6 and 7 really need to lift

If the score had stayed at 12-14 then the word gallant might be appropriate.

Right now there is a losing culture in this team and they need to snap this urgently!!

I would say - Manly had some promising signs and a chance to turn the corner at 12-14, but were let down by particularly poor play in the last 5 minutes of the first half, and the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half.

The team must learn to assert itself in these clutch times of NRL matches.

If the headlines read "Improved Effort", I could go with it.
I'm not overly sure it was even gallant ??
There was still players out there not looking hungry as the opposition and the 1 thing Manly need right now considering the team is often ( not as talented as the opposition ), is more grit, desire and determination.....a few are having a real dig, unfortunately only takes a few suitcases to turn a win into a loss.

Gallant means heroic to me.

Didn't see much of that out there.
Brave? I don't think so.

To put things into perspective, most of us were usually disappointed in how Manly played even after a win. Me included.

That's because we had such a winning culture and high expectations. The players were the same. Yes, people said our players were arrogant and aggressive, but that's how we thrived. They had the talent, ability and desire to back that up.

Lyon, Matai, Kite, Orford, Bell, Menzies, Watmough, Stewart, Stewart, Robertson, Ballin etc etc etc....just winners.

Guys, I think you are getting in a bit too deep here

Its the Manly website, what are they meant to say "sh*thouse Manly team throw away another game"

C'mon, mountains out of molehills

Guys, I think you are getting in a bit too deep here

Its the Manly website, what are they meant to say "sh*thouse Manly team throw away another game"

C'mon, mountains out of molehills

What, like this? Different expectations and cultures I guess.

“Rugby league has been pretty simple for over 108 years; you go out there and do your job and you find a way to do it.

“It’s about a desire and about a want and a selfless approach about not letting down your teammates.

“Because the way we have been performing, enough is enough.”

What, like this? Different expectations and cultures I guess.

“Rugby league has been pretty simple for over 108 years; you go out there and do your job and you find a way to do it.

“It’s about a desire and about a want and a selfless approach about not letting down your teammates.

“Because the way we have been performing, enough is enough.”
That is a player discusing his teams performance.

Very different to an article the comms kid is posting on the clubs website.

To your point though, yes the players and coaching staff shouldnt be accepting the current results

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8