Absolutely Pathetic

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Damien2812

Bencher
Well the long weekend played a part in lower crowd numbers I'm sure. But I'm starting to agree that alot of supporters aren't coming to the games because we hardly win at Lottoland and have been losing 13+ most of the time at home. We seriously need to start playing for the jersey because at the moment it's like outsiders hijacking Manly jerseys with no passion. For the life of me I will never understand why Barrett was chosen to be the head coach, he never played for Manly, doesn't know our culture, too soft on our player's, no passion for Manly's history and doesn't even know our team song. Enough of my rant...

The Royal Soup

First Grader
No, i'm not referring to the game.
last week after 3 wins in a row & playing a team above us on the ladder there was between only 12,000 - 13,000 people on a sunny afternoon.
This week against the storm on a saturday arvo just over 11,500 turned up.
They will be talking about us in the same breath was roosters supporters soon!

It's a results driven business

Brissie Kid

Bencher
. For the life of me I will never understand why Barrett was chosen to be the head coach, he never played for Manly, doesn't know our culture, too soft on our player's, no passion for Manly's history and doesn't even know our team song. Enough of my rant...

I can't think of anyone who has coached Manly to success who wasn't a Manly player. Even Graham Lowe couldn't get it done. Can't even think of too many other coaches who weren't Manly players.

Who in these were not former Manly players?

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/manly-warringah-sea-eagles/coaches.html

ARTHURSON, Kenneth 1957-61
BARRETT, Trent 2016-17
BULL, Roy 1953
DEVERY, Pat 1955-56
FULTON, Robert 1983-88, 1993-99
HASLER, Des 2004-11
HUNTER, George 1968-69
JOHNSTON, Harold 1947
LOWE, Graham 1990-92
MULLINS, George - 1949 18
NORMAN, Ray 1954
O'CONNELL, Wally 1950-52, 1966-67
PASKINS, Tony - 1963
PEPPERELL, Russ - 1964-65
RITCHIE, Ray - 1981-82
SHARP, Peter 1999, 2003
STANTON, Frank 1975-79
STEHR, Ray 1947-48
THOMPSON, Alan 1989
THOMSON, Allan 1980
TOOVEY, Geoff 2012-15
WILLEY, Ron 1962, 1970-74

Damien2812

Bencher
I can't think of anyone who has coached Manly to success who wasn't a Manly player. Even Graham Lowe couldn't get it done. Can't even think of too many other coaches who weren't Manly players.

Who in these were not former Manly players?

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/manly-warringah-sea-eagles/coaches.html

ARTHURSON, Kenneth 1957-61
BARRETT, Trent 2016-17
BULL, Roy 1953
DEVERY, Pat 1955-56
FULTON, Robert 1983-88, 1993-99
HASLER, Des 2004-11
HUNTER, George 1968-69
JOHNSTON, Harold 1947
LOWE, Graham 1990-92
MULLINS, George - 1949 18
NORMAN, Ray 1954
O'CONNELL, Wally 1950-52, 1966-67
PASKINS, Tony - 1963
PEPPERELL, Russ - 1964-65
RITCHIE, Ray - 1981-82
SHARP, Peter 1999, 2003
STANTON, Frank 1975-79
STEHR, Ray 1947-48
THOMPSON, Alan 1989
THOMSON, Allan 1980
TOOVEY, Geoff 2012-15
WILLEY, Ron 1962, 1970-74

My brother thinks the reason why we chose Barrett because he would be on a cheap salary compared to someone like Ivan Cleary...

Phil Blake

Reserve Grader
Well the long weekend played a part in lower crowd numbers I'm sure. But I'm starting to agree that alot of supporters aren't coming to the games because we hardly win at Lottoland and have been losing 13+ most of the time at home. We seriously need to start playing for the jersey because at the moment it's like outsiders hijacking Manly jerseys with no passion. For the life of me I will never understand why Barrett was chosen to be the head coach, he never played for Manly, doesn't know our culture, too soft on our player's, no passion for Manly's history and doesn't even know our team song. Enough of my rant...
Spot on Damo, just doesn't feel like manly anymore. I've been hitting Brooky since the 80s and it has a different feel. Don't think it's coz we are losing etc. In Des' early days we lost games but you always knew we would give it 150% and jag an upset here and there. We need Manly blood in there quickly!

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Affordability is the key for mine, 5 home games out of 7 played so far $30 odd dollars for a hill ticket, $15.50 for meal combo then beers. I spent $70 on my own, imagine if I took the family! I love my Eagles but the cost of going to a game at a pretty mediocre venue is killer, especially that many games in short succession. My NRL season pass on my phone costs slightly more than one day at the footy. At least my Blacktown team won.

I always got caught taking my son and up to 4/5 of his mates. It used to cost me a motza, I even started getting them full on machas before we went in.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Spot on Damo, just doesn't feel like manly anymore. I've been hitting Brooky since the 80s and it has a different feel. Don't think it's coz we are losing etc. In Des' early days we lost games but you always knew we would give it 150% and jag an upset here and there. We need Manly blood in there quickly!

Phil, been going since the 60's and every era feels different until we start winning and the crowd start chanting ..... then it's the Manly we always knew.

Damien2812

Bencher

I'm not too far from not renewing my membership for next year until Barrett and co are gone. Anyone who's on the field hijacking the Manly jersey can go with Barrett.

Phil Blake

Reserve Grader
Phil, been going since the 60's and every era feels different until we start winning and the crowd start chanting ..... then it's the Manly we always knew.
Woodsie, I really think it's the losing and soft culture Barrett has brought to the club. There is no coincidence since Barrett has been here we have lost our aura. The guy has never won anything as a player and unfortunately for us the same will go for his coaching

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I thought the crowd was announced as only about 10,100.

You're right though - beautiful sunny afternoon, a decent rivalry with the oppo, 3pm kickoff, thought there would have been more there.

Don't forget it's Easter , lots go away.

I know at least a dozen regulars who were off holidaying elsewhere!

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
"Absolutely pathetic" is a reasonable view of some fans attitudes. I'd imagine some of you must be constant winners in life - never made a wrong call ever seeing as you demand winning 24/7/365 from the club. How is life at the top? How do you find time to post here considering you must be running empires..?

WESTIE

Reserve Grader
Those many thousands of drizzle fans must have chosen to boycott the game....
Out of Sydney team...Easter weekend....shytehouse kick off time...all of the above play a part.....IMO however , the biggest factor is ppl arent going to fork out cash to sit on the hill with the sun in their eyes for a team who, apart from the Turbos and DCE , they still dont have a connection to...the rest are all players they've cheered against...are no names...and havent earned the hate of opposition fans yet...or won us over...if it wasnt for the jumper how many ppl would pay to watch this group ?

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Woodsie, I really think it's the losing and soft culture Barrett has brought to the club. There is no coincidence since Barrett has been here we have lost our aura. The guy has never won anything as a player and unfortunately for us the same will go for his coaching

In Manly's 70 year history only 3 coaches have ever been able to win us a premiership. One of those is currently Barrett's mentor and advisor. If we knew who the 4th was going to be ... happy days.

I don't think anybody at the beginning of this year seriously thought that this team would challenge for the title, in fact a lot of old heads had us bottom 4. So I don't get the outrage and disappointment when we lose to the top 2 teams.

I don't know if Barrett will end up a "good" coach, too many variables, but I have noticed a growing strength in this team, and losing to the top 2 teams 2 weeks in a row hasn't changed that view.

PSS As a matter of interest only, how many of the current coaches won premierships as players? Hasler, Stuart, ...

Last edited:

Phil Blake

Reserve Grader
In Manly's 70 year history only 3 coaches have ever been able to win us a premiership. One of those is currently Barrett's mentor and advisor. If we knew who the 4th was going to be ... happy days.

I don't think anybody at the beginning of this year seriously thought that this team would challenge for the title, in fact a lot of old heads had us bottom 4. So I don't get the outrage and disappointment when we lose to the top 2 teams.

I don't know if Barrett will end up a "good" coach, too many variables, but I have noticed a growing strength in this team, and losing to the top 2 teams 2 weeks in a row hasn't changed that view.

PSS As a matter of interest only, how many of the current coaches won premierships as players? Hasler, Stuart, ...
The closest to that was Bellamy being in raiders squad in 89 and hijaking trophy to get his melon on tv during the lap of honour and I think from memory Paul Green playing for roosters in 02 but not playing on the big day.
Get ur point woodsie. Maybe I'm too used to the bozo, dessy and toovs culture

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The closest to that was Bellamy being in raiders squad in 89 and hijaking trophy to get his melon on tv during the lap of honour and I think from memory Paul Green playing for roosters in 02 but not playing on the big day.
Get ur point woodsie. Maybe I'm too used to the bozo, dessy and toovs culture

I'm surprised no body picked me up .... we have had 4 premiership winning coaches not 3 as I stated, but my point remains.

Smokin Joe

Bencher
I had us pegged as finishing 7th this year,so far we have played the 1st,2nd,4th,7th and 8th placed teams this year out of our 7 games as of the current ladder.It has overall not been a great start but far from over yet.Yes we need to beat the best to be the best,but I always thought it would take time to gel and find real consistency in performances.

Snake

Snake's Alive!

We didn't lose to the top 2 teams if you're fair dinkum about it. We got our arse handed to us by St George, who are pretenders. Then we got our arse handed to us in the first half against Melbourne...we haven't played the Sharks or the Broncos yet.

The outrage and disappointment concerns the way we competed against these teams. To see that school boy defence on the left edge get exposed time and time again is embarrassing. It's also painful because the bubble was burst. We beat the Chooks and it looked like we had turned a corner only for us to dish up garbage again for the next fortnight. It's OK to lose to good sides, but you want to compete and be in the contest. Even at 30-26 it never felt like we were going to win that game and even if we did, I would have been disgusted at our defence in the first half.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
I think this is a real long term problem for the NRL. The way the game is played means no team is ever safe from a flogging on any given home game. No matter how much heart & effort a team may put in defensively, once the momentum is against you there is nothing you can do to stop it. So teams get flogged by 30 or you end up with silly games like last Saturday where 24+ lead can nearly get run down.

Often times fans & media bag teams for 'not turning up' or 'not putting in' but all it takes is one bad referee call or a dropped ball and next thing you know your down by four tries.

It is hard to put into words but i think there is something wrong with the way the game currently is. Fans won't roll up unless they think their team will be in a contest or at least be competitive.

Team P W L PD Pts
12 9 3 83 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
13 7 6 133 16
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16
13 6 6 27 15