Aaron Woods ???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Interesting the group narratives that get pushed.........Now I'm not advocating that Woods is killing it but this talk of him being useless is crazy. He is still a useful first grade prop and if he is happy for a squad place on minimum coin then we'd be crazy not to sign him.

Lets compare Woods with Keppie who is very highly rated on this forum.

And let me preface by saying I have a lot of time for Keppie and obviously he is on the up and Woods not so much, but lets still compare a player who someone above rated as our second best prop and Woods who people claim is utterly useless

Min per game
Keppie - 45
Woods - 50

Runs per game
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

Metres per game
Keppie - 71
Woods - 98

Metres per run
Keppie - 8.87
Woods - 8.9

Tackles per game
Keppie - 21
Woods - 22

Missed tackles per game
Keppie - 1
Woods - 1

Tackle Busts 2021
Keppie - 19
Woods - 12

Offloads 2021
Keppie - 12
Woods - 18

Penalties conceded 2021
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

So you'd argue pretty similiar, now would I start Woods over Keppie, absolutely no way, but surely the above shows that Woods on minimum wage has to offer more value than Boyle or De Luis.

Also as a side note Woods averages more metres per game (with comparable minutes) than the following props;
J Bromwich
Hetherington
Utoikamanu (love this kid)
J Wallace
Flegler
Tamou

So is he a flashy signing, no, but think of him as a Benji Marshall pickup, An experienced head around the squad, probably in the 21 but not the 17. Reliable when called upon and probably only getting 25min a game when he does play

Interesting the group narratives that get pushed.........Now I'm not advocating that Woods is killing it but this talk of him being useless is crazy. He is still a useful first grade prop and if he is happy for a squad place on minimum coin then we'd be crazy not to sign him.

And let me preface by saying I have a lot of time for Keppie and obviously he is on the up and Woods not so much, but lets still compare a player who someone above rated as our second best prop and Woods who people claim is utterly useless

Min per game
Keppie - 45
Woods - 50

Runs per game
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

Metres per game
Keppie - 71
Woods - 98

Metres per run
Keppie - 8.87
Woods - 8.9

Tackles per game
Keppie - 21
Woods - 22

Missed tackles per game
Keppie - 1
Woods - 1

Tackle Busts 2021
Keppie - 19
Woods - 12

Offloads 2021
Keppie - 12
Woods - 18

Penalties conceded 2021
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

So you'd argue pretty similiar, now would I start Woods over Keppie, absolutely no way, but surely the above shows that Woods on minimum wage has to offer more value than Boyle or De Luis.

Also as a side note Woods averages more metres per game (with comparable minutes) than the following props;
J Bromwich
Hetherington
J Wallace
Flegler
Tamou

So is he a flashy signing, no, but think of him as a Benji Marshall pickup, An experienced head around the squad, probably in the 21 but not the 17. Reliable when called upon and probably only getting 25min a game when he does play
thanks @Disco, I was going to go through the stats too but you beat me to it.
I think he only missed one game this year which is also a good indicator re fitness and discipline.

Can you please do the stats for Marty too, seeing as he's on the slide and all.

Just the one I think, someone to take Suli's place but on half or a third of the contract.

Braiden Burns could be a good shout.

I think Koula and Tuipulotu will come through next year
Burns would be a great signing. He's a good player. But with Gagai gone, I'm not sure the Bunnies would let him go.

Last edited:

Min per game
Keppie - 45
Woods - 50

Runs per game
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

Metres per game
Keppie - 71
Woods - 98

Metres per run
Keppie - 8.87
Woods - 8.9

Tackles per game
Keppie - 21
Woods - 22

Missed tackles per game
Keppie - 1
Woods - 1

Tackle Busts 2021
Keppie - 19
Woods - 12

Offloads 2021
Keppie - 12
Woods - 18

Penalties conceded 2021
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

J Bromwich
Hetherington
J Wallace
Flegler
Tamou

Woods on a small contract is a very good signing.

Min per game
Keppie - 45
Woods - 50

Runs per game
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

Metres per game
Keppie - 71
Woods - 98

Metres per run
Keppie - 8.87
Woods - 8.9

Tackles per game
Keppie - 21
Woods - 22

Missed tackles per game
Keppie - 1
Woods - 1

Tackle Busts 2021
Keppie - 19
Woods - 12

Offloads 2021
Keppie - 12
Woods - 18

Penalties conceded 2021
Keppie - 8
Woods - 11

J Bromwich
Hetherington
J Wallace
Flegler
Tamou

Hey Disco, that was a well thought out argument - well done!

So for the same money you think there is more upside in Boyle?
I think there’s no value in either.Boyle younger so that helps him but he wouldn’t want minimum wage at his age.I think the money can be spent better elsewhere

I think there’s no value in either.Boyle younger so that helps him but he wouldn’t want minimum wage at his age.I think the money can be spent better elsewhere
We shall agree to disagree then

For me in a cap era with a club like ours it is all about taking punts (like Foran) to compliment the big money players like Marty T or Turbo

I have no idea so I'm going to jump in with an opinion.

I thought Josh Perry was a stupid signing for all the same reasons that I'd be against signing Wood. Des is a much better judge of horse flesh than I am. If Des can see a match winner in Wood, and if he wants to come to Brookie than 'welcome aboard big fella".

If he signs with Manly Donny will be asking for a pay rise at the thought of having to get him him fit and mobile for the modern game

Will be lots of chunder in the palmy sand dunes this offseason
Appearance doesn't always translate to on-field performance.
When Glen Stewart first ran out for Souths, he looked like a shiny new sleek thoroughbred...
Don't remember such dominating on-field performances though.

thanks @Disco, I was going to go through the stats too but you beat me to it.
I think he only missed one game this year which is also a good indicator re fitness and discipline.

Can you please do the stats for Marty too, seeing as he's on the slide and all.
First 3 are per game, the rest season totals which skew a little as everyone has played different games.

Marty is still consistently our best prop. He doesn't have many standout games any more but what he does he does well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210920-134417_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-134417_Chrome.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210920-134323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-134323_Chrome.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210920-134353_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-134353_Chrome.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210920-134503_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-134503_Chrome.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210920-134613_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-134613_Chrome.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210920-134637_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-134637_Chrome.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210920-134653_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-134653_Chrome.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 25
First 3 are per game, the rest season totals which skew a little as everyone has played different games.

Marty is still consistently our best prop. He doesn't have many standout games any more but what he does he does well.
thanks @Disco, he's only missed one game all year, tops our stats, is as professional as they come yet some want to move him on..

thanks @Disco, he's only missed one game all year, tops our stats, is as professional as they come yet some want to move him on..
The only argument for moving him on is if some other club is willing to take the full or close to full cap hit next year. If that happens, and Marty can get an extra two years elsewhere in good money, then that is in everyone’s interests.

I’ve been in favour of him moving on in the past, but purely for cap reasons more so than performance. I don’t think he is a 800k a year prop, more like 550-600k. So if we would have to chip in 150k or so, I’d happily keep him.

For me in a cap era with a club like ours it is all about taking punts (like Foran) to compliment the big money players like Marty T or Turbo
I don’t even think it’d be taking a punt. He’s reliably solid and on minimum wage that is a really good depth signing. If you have someone of his caliber pushing our young props for a starting position it makes them all work harder.

He’s also kept a clean sheet as far as suspensions are concerned,which appears to be the case with all the forwards this season

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8