A muscled up Tom to pressure Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
Matai is desperately out of form. Turbo Tom needs a good 6 months in the gym and centre could be his position for now as Snake is killing them at the back.

If we dont buy a 5/8 for next year and move Lyon there, Matai may find himself on the outer because Tom is a once in a lifetime player.

Matai is desperately out of form. Turbo Tom needs a good 6 months in the gym and centre could be his position for now as Snake is killing them at the back.

If we dont buy a 5/8 for next year and move Lyon there, Matai may find himself on the outer because Tom is a once in a lifetime player.
Totally agree - maybe Matai could play as a second rower/lock obviously would need to get fitter however he could handle the tackling.

The only problem with Stevie is he keeps knocking himself out. Tom T in for the pie-man.

Crazy suggestion, firstly as Tom T has never played centre for a start, and it is the hardest position on the park to defend in and he hasn't shown any defence as yet

Matais form has been fine this season and absolutely no reason to move him, no idea where desperately out of form is coming from. Taufua would be a more likely option though

Last edited:
Are u kidding me? Matai is one of our best. His defense has always had his opposition rushing a pass or second guessing in anticipation of getting hit. His attack is awsome too as he draws and passes and doesn't crab across field unlike others who have been thrown into centre (hiku) during the year. There is no player in our team that has more toughness and heart than matai.
Every time tom gets the ball in nrl I fear he will get injured as he is so fragile and has a skinny frame. Hiku in my opinion will make way for tom next year and I think we should offload him with the youth we have coming through in gutherson. Taufua although a liability at times under the high ball (he should spend an hour a day getting high balls kicked to him until he gets more confident), is too valuable to us in getting out of our red zone and barging over the line from close distance. If tom comes on the wing and with snake being fragile himself, we need taufua in the side.
Lyon playing five eight would work with a full offseason practicing but I think bozo will sign a young half to bring through the ranks as a long term option.

Yesterday's game was a case in point. Manly's left side attack took some time to adjust to Matai's absence. Eventually it clicked, but not until the second half.

Lyon to five eighth is the first part of the puzzle solved.

Even after that, with Gutherson back, there remains an excess of riches in the backline.

Hiku is a wonderful player but having a bad season. I think Lyon to 5/8 is a must. Backline could be Stewart Troboievic matai guntherson/hiku TAFUA Lyon DCE.

Lyons lost a bit of pace this year and struggles to get outside his opposite like he has in recent years with ease. He is still pretty quick between the ears and his skill level and passing game is second to none. Defensively sound.

Tom Turbo is without question a natural full back and putting in the centre is a waste of time, Gutho is perfect for that role of left centre as would Tony Santini if Skivvy could not play, I think Skivvy will be rattling some cages for a while yet.

Crazy suggestion, firstly as Tom T has never played centre for a start, and it is the hardest position on the park to defend in and he hasn't shown any defence to is as yet

Matais form has been fine this season and absolutely no reason to move him, no idea where desperately out of form is coming from. Taufua would be a more likely option though

If anybody in the backline is making way for Tom T it's Hiku. I'd suggest Lyon or Gutherson to the 6 next year since we have not signed a new half. For those who want to claim Gutherson is no 6 - he has played a number of games there in the lower grades and has very good vision in the ilk of Snake (remember Cronk was not meant to be a halfback, neither was Ben Hunt, Lockyer was not meant to be a 6, Ruban Wiki was not meant to be a forward etc etc).

In my opinion Tom T and Gutherson both need to be in the side, with Gutherson giving us a better goal kicking option. Matai also needs to be in our side - experience, inspirational defence, strong running and still has plenty to offer.

Hiku brings the least amount to the table at present, and unless he can turn that around, he may find himself in NSW cup next year.

I actually see Gutho as our long term solution to 5/8. Now that I don't think happens next year. Gutho will need to be eased back in at centre or wing and killer moves to 5/8 for next season.

I'd be going
1 snake
2 taufa
3 gutho
4 matai
5 hiku
6 killer
7 Dce

And then that means tommy t is the backup player. The reality is with Jamie, snake and matai all ageing tommy t would probably still get 10 to 15 games next year.

If we had to move Lyon to 5/8, which I'm against anyway, I would suggest putting Hiku in centre and Tom on the wing over anything else. Not to forget we also have Gutherson coming back who has showed promise. The reality is someone is going to miss out and I think Tom needs another year in U20s/NSW Cup to built upon his defensive ability.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4