A few points

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Effort and intensity was better this week---i still feel its a little down but today it was more a feeling of raising it when it was required and paced in its nature---a more sustainable and smart way of going about business. Go forward was better not perfect I still think our lead forward runner is sometimes too easily read and exposed to gang tackling.

More variations and work around the ruck and more enthusiastic follow up support forwards and hole runners to keep the defence line guessing a little but I don’t want to be overly critical considering what we did show was good enough to get us going forward. Considering the wet conditions and that the go forward was an improvement over the past month I think Dessie would be happy and applauding the effort but making sure the players are aware there is still improvements to be made in this area.

Still frustrated like a broken record with our right side attack---its structurally flawed with poor running lines from both the ball player and hole runners. Glen is not entirely to blame---to be honest we don't really have natural hole runners running good lines on our right side so that does not help.

Glen drifts side ways too early without a hint of straightening before delivery to suck in outside defenders forcing wrap around plays to run diagonal lines or outside backs to cut back in with under plays. I do like Glens at the line short side plays when he does not have time or space to drift its more the long wide spreads when he has time to think and move that annoy me.

Foran has more hole running line options in the form of Watmough, Buhrer, T-Rex, Matai who can all run outside in lines to good effect mixed up with the odd G.Rose run more closer in flat off the hip. Foran straightens and ball plays at the line while moving forward and positions himself better like a genuine 5/8 to not cramp his options but he also has more natural hole runners at his disposal so its unfair to some extent to always be critical with Glens style.

In the end our attack both sides is good enough to trouble 90% of defences and might even be good enough to win a G/F but it will not stop me from being critical of our flaws even after cracking open the bubbly.

Defence wise the wet track was not really conducive to early wide spreads that an in form Roosters outfit are good at. The few times they did shift early our compressed style of defence was exposed but I think Dessie accepts the risks a compressed defence can be exposed to and in most cases we slide across and remain composed when we are out numbered.

Our goal line defence while it “looked” composed to the casual observer we did hang back at times---i think teams with good attacking structures and patterns with straight outside hole runners might expose us on a “bad day”---- I’m confident its not too much of an issue just noticing a few small bad habits creeping in that might not amount to anything.

susan said:
That was the most clinical we have looked on both sides in attack this year.

Also Glenn Stewart is the best all round loose forward in the game today by the length of the straight.Great game!!

The win must be put into perspective though as the roosters were dreadful and wouldn't have beaten our under 20's team yesterday.

The next 4 weeks will be a lot tougher.

Technical Coach said:
Effort and intensity was better this week---i still feel its a little down but today it was more a feeling of raising it when it was required and paced in its nature---a more sustainable and smart way of going about business. Go forward was better not perfect I still think our lead forward runner is sometimes too easily read and exposed to gang tackling.

More variations and work around the ruck and more enthusiastic follow up support forwards and hole runners to keep the defence line guessing a little but I don’t want to be overly critical considering what we did show was good enough to get us going forward. Considering the wet conditions and that the go forward was an improvement over the past month I think Dessie would be happy and applauding the effort but making sure the players are aware there is still improvements to be made in this area.

Still frustrated like a broken record with our right side attack---its structurally flawed with poor running lines from both the ball player and hole runners. Glen is not entirely to blame---to be honest we don't really have natural hole runners running good lines on our right side so that does not help.

Glen drifts side ways too early without a hint of straightening before delivery to suck in outside defenders forcing wrap around plays to run diagonal lines or outside backs to cut back in with under plays. I do like Glens at the line short side plays when he does not have time or space to drift its more the long wide spreads when he has time to think and move that annoy me.

Foran has more hole running line options in the form of Watmough, Buhrer, T-Rex, Matai who can all run outside in lines to good effect mixed up with the odd G.Rose run more closer in flat off the hip. Foran straightens and ball plays at the line while moving forward and positions himself better like a genuine 5/8 to not cramp his options but he also has more natural hole runners at his disposal so its unfair to some extent to always be critical with Glens style.

In the end our attack both sides is good enough to trouble 90% of defences and might even be good enough to win a G/F but it will not stop me from being critical of our flaws even after cracking open the bubbly.

Defence wise the wet track was not really conducive to early wide spreads that an in form Roosters outfit are good at. The few times they did shift early our compressed style of defence was exposed but I think Dessie accepts the risks a compressed defence can be exposed to and in most cases we slide across and remain composed when we are out numbered.

Our goal line defence while it “looked” composed to the casual observer we did hang back at times---i think teams with good attacking structures and patterns with straight outside hole runners might expose us on a “bad day”---- I’m confident its not too much of an issue just noticing a few small bad habits creeping in that might not amount to anything.

Oh TC, you are full of yourself.
Lines like it may look composed to the casual observer. Get over yourself mate, you are nothing but a casual observer with a keyboard as well

At times you offer some OK points, at other times you contradict yourself and speak rubbish, but thats just me as i casually observe your dribble, and thats difficult sometimes as I wade through your waffle to find the point

To be honest I feel you would be more at home in the commentry box than the coaches box, waffle, cliches and buzz words

Its not my place to tell you what you should write, but try getting a bit of humility in your work, its just a suggestion. Remember your opinion of yourself is yours only

If you are as enlightened as you believe, may i suggest you employ a ghost writer to do yourself justice, as you clearly can not, and you are wasting your opportunity in life

jbb/james said:
Technical Coach said:

Oh TC, you are full of yourself.
Lines like it may look composed to the casual observer. Get over yourself mate, you are nothing but a casual observer with a keyboard as well

At times you offer some OK points, at other times you contradict yourself and speak rubbish, but thats just me as i casually observe your dribble, and thats difficult sometimes as I wade through your waffle to find the point

To be honest I feel you would be more at home in the commentry box than the coaches box, waffle, cliches and buzz words

Its not my place to tell you what you should write, but try getting a bit of humility in your work, its just a suggestion. Remember your opinion of yourself is yours only

If you are as enlightened as you believe, may i suggest you employ a ghost writer to do yourself justice, as you clearly can not, and you are wasting your GIFT

wow i didnt see this coming

Glenn has started drifting a lot closer to the centre of play and this has given Lyon a whole lot more room and options. In fact Gift is so strong and puts the opposition in two minds so regularly now, and add in his defence, that he my player of the year easily. I can't believe how many attacks target him and he snuffs it out every time.

Lyon's timing is incredible. That pass to put hoppa away and keep himself in position to get the ball again, as well as his footwork was just perfect.

Where have i contradicted myself----right side attack and go forward have always been our weak points from a technical point of view.

The line "may look composed to the casual observer" was just a jab to a few in here as i am the local genius after all. I guess my weak uneducated writing style lacks the ability to convey sarcasm and be efficient in making a point in as few words as possible so i do apologize,just doing my best.(on the way to seeking a ghost writer any recommendations)

Some people just enjoy watching the game from purely an entertainment point of view which is fine others enjoy breaking up the game in any manner they see fit---so be it.

In the end i've never put down any other writer if i dont agree with their points---i state my views and move on. I occasionally "respond" to some smart arse comments but i sure as hell don't start them.

The Who said:
Jamie picked a good time to be off target. It didn't matter.
Look at the positives: T-Rex could be our X-factor in the finals. I have doubted his commitment, but no more. He was terrific. And how good is Joe playing? Again, I admit I thought his signing was a mistake and, agin, I was wrong.
Hoppa was back to his best, and I look forward to the return of Robbo.

Not really a good week when you have money on him being the top point scorer for the round!

I agree with TC, he dissects the game, I watch it for enjoyment and love it as I have done for the last 35 years.

See I do a similar thing to TC with Harness Racing (yeah the Trots), I watch and re-watch races, clocking and taking notes on every horse in every race, and their drivers. I know so much more about what is likely to transpire during a race that 99% of the punters out their in TAB land.

I know all horses speed from the mobile barrier, I know which drivers which "take a sit" and those that wont hand up the lead. I know what horses can only win if the lead, sit behind the leader etc.

Its a pity I cant win a quid with the amount of time I put in, but thats another story.

Daniel said:
Lyon's timing is incredible. That pass to put hoppa away and keep himself in position to get the ball again, as well as his footwork was just perfect.

Love the way Lyon gets on the outside of defenders but it's more useful and evident away from the redzone---or it's in the redzone but close to the sideline squeezing a pass to the winger. I just like to see all centres have the ability to hole run as it offers more options in attack(defenders are more likely to be sucked in opening up bigger holes outside him instead of the squeeze pass)

Sometimes centres overly use footwork like Gasnier and rarely straighten up their lines in the red zone allowing defences to just hang back and slide.(they may straighten after the shimmy but its too late) Right side centres tend to use more footwork as right side passing games are usually deeper slower and not as flat---standing up the player footwork is more important to the detriment of red zone attack in "most" cases.

When a player starts to lose speed these type of players try scoring abilities start to drop off---bigger hole running centres tend to maintain a consistent level of try scoring throughout their careers.

Don't get me wrong i'm a massive Lyon fan and love his all round skills which make him more than just a conventional centre so in the grand scheme of things he offers a lot more to the attack including more assists---i'm purely looking at our red zone attack limitations.

Lyon gets on the outside quite often with the help of Glenn Stewart. He beats players and then gets a nice pass away on the fly. It looks great.

Technical Coach said:
Where have i contradicted myself----right side attack and go forward have always been our weak points from a technical point of view.

The line "may look composed to the casual observer" was just a jab to a few in here as i am the local genius after all. I guess my weak uneducated writing style lacks the ability to convey sarcasm and be efficient in making a point in as few words as possible so i do apologize,just doing my best.(on the way to seeking a ghost writer any recommendations)

Some people just enjoy watching the game from purely an entertainment point of view which is fine others enjoy breaking up the game in any manner they see fit---so be it.

In the end i've never put down any other writer if i dont agree with their points---i state my views and move on. I occasionally "respond" to some smart arse comments but i sure as hell don't start them.

Over the past couple of months you have had a few chestnuts, as an example my favorite was how Manly players only attack in there own corridoor restricting manlys attack, and then in the next sentence to pronounce Glen stewart drifts accross field too much stifling his outside men room.

Would that be considered a contradiction ?

I wont even go to the left /right passing game

Its a public forum and a free world so you can write whatever you want .But if you yearn to be considered some type of analysis machine you have to get it right, I presume you do this analysis for some type of gratification

It would be wrong of me to suggest you dont know what you are talking about and a FORUM does have all types, but when i read your posts i can close my eyes and hear Laurie Daley talking. A lot of air and not much else

Maybe its me or maybe ive heard it all before

Technical coach... you seem to have captured sarcasm in 2 words there very effectively . I note your improvement

Maybe ive dumped on you too hard, maybe i should have used the ignore button , but there are many ways of putting people down, some love agression and i can see thats not your style, tarring everyone with the same brush as you admitted is another

And i would say anyone who takes time to lof into a forum daily does more than watch footy for entertainment. Its a passion

I will take up no more of your time

Just because G.Stewart drifts across field does not mean he no longer plays in a corridor---he plays on the right side full stop. Occasionally he mixes it up through the middle going against the defensive grain but he is predominantly a right side ball player and runner.

By drifting i mean in the manner he glides across field like all ball players should---sometimes its overly sideways---i guess to be fair a corridor is probably a more narrow definition than what G.Stewart plays but he still mainly posts himself on the right edge.

My use of corridors was more in relation to Watmough Foran Buhrer etc---i'm not against corridors at all and good repetitive structures under pressure hold up well allowing a more composed attack but it has its down sides --- it is very much evident when we struggle to break good defences.

On the other hand making knee jerk reactions and allowing players to roam free can offer many other problems---it's a balancing act that needs to be tuned when required.

Now you will describe the above points of being contradictory also----to me its seeing all the positives and negatives in each style of play and tuning our attack either way when required.

Essentially you have to work with the tools at your disposal. A lot has been made of GPS technology and how manly were the first to introduce it to league at a training level

This allowed them to not only track and record training patterns it also allowed them to monitor player body types, strengths and weakness allowing the coach to to able to compile data of each players left/right hand legs, strength, agility etc

So Des has been able to accurately develope his players weakness in conjunction with Donny to increase strength where it needs too to achieve a more balanced athlete. Players do extra drills and weights on there weaker functions.

This also highlights weakness that certain players have also. If a player is to have 20 touches a game it is best for them to get as many touches as possible where they may provide the most impact...... which makes sense, good ball in a good position is what all footy players crave

A lot of what you say may be worthy, but it doesnt consider the 25 athletes that manly have in their roster, the data that the coaching team have at there disposal, or the impact of a salary cap

It would be great to have players that roam and when you have only 1 option it may be a great ploy, but with the luxury of having foran, glen and daly/dale at your disposal, why wouldnt you play to the strengths you know they have

I am all for your tech analysis Tc as long as it reflects the tools we have at our dispoal and its not a dreamland scenario where everyone plays a perfect game every week. Even my posts dont live up to those lofty expectations, do yours ??

Essentially i may just be providing a analysis of your weekly performance with the keyboard.

Ill even do you a deal, ill get you a ghostwriter someone to the point, Ill approach cambo maybe, he knows how to call it. and you come up with a new name for me.. something more fitting my new position as grader of the technical coach. Only jibing you TC , no harm meant

mickqld said:
What the hell happened to the goalkicking today. 2 out of 8 we should have been mid 40s. Cant afford that in the finals.

didnt seem to affect us in the 08 gf..

susan said:
That was the most clinical we have looked on both sides in attack this year.

I put it down to the jersey Susan :p

jbb/james said:
. . . when i read your posts i can close my eyes and hear Laurie Daley talking. . .

Cruel, very cruel James. lol

TC (Des) do I read you correctly to be saying Jamie Lyon isn't very good at running into holes, and Gasnier uses to much footwork and never straightens up his line in the 'red zone'??

If so, you are indeed hyper-hyper-hyper-critical and, well ... just plain silly. (But to each his own :angel: )

Jamie Lyon can run holes but less so these days----Gasnier over does the shimmy shimmy shake even Cooper to a lesser extent(Cooper does hit some nice lines but is also helped playing on their strong passing side.)

I agree with GPS in its ability to identify players strengths and weaknesses and providing data for more efficient structures of play best utilizing the players at your disposal. Yes salary caps and limited funds hamper the ability to have a well balanced side but that is a poor excuse to not try and even up the balance in attack.

Where are the straight line hole runners on the right side----its evident in most teams so i'm not aiming my criticisims just at Manly but the whole comp. Right side attacking plays are weaker in execution full stop its been that way since day dot in rugby league but the evolution of playing skills is gradually improving this balance.

Watmough more in the past was overly a left side short side runner to make yards---(less so in Origin) Dessie i'm sure kept it simple for Watmough for good reason and his yardage gains no matter how predictable it was warranted continued use.

I've always wanted to see Watmough and Buhrer hit holes up the middle instead of just relying on a pet play to bring in B.Stewart or Hoppa from Fullback we need more variation up the middle with more options. We need to start being a little more flexible with players structures so we have a plan B or C when the going gets tough.

A young inconsistent squad i fully agree with simple structures and never deviating from the attacking plan but an in form squad with a good mix of experience can be a little flexible in its attacking structures at times.

I hate Daley so it looks like i will have to reinvent myself.

Technical Coach said:
Just because G.Stewart drifts across field does not mean he no longer plays in a corridor---he plays on the right side full stop. Occasionally he mixes it up through the middle going against the defensive grain but he is predominantly a right side ball player and runner.

By drifting i mean in the manner he glides across field like all ball players should---sometimes its overly sideways---i guess to be fair a corridor is probably a more narrow definition than what G.Stewart plays but he still mainly posts himself on the right edge.

My use of corridors was more in relation to Watmough Foran Buhrer etc---i'm not against corridors at all and good repetitive structures under pressure hold up well allowing a more composed attack but it has its down sides --- it is very much evident when we struggle to break good defences.

On the other hand making knee jerk reactions and allowing players to roam free can offer many other problems---it's a balancing act that needs to be tuned when required.

Now you will describe the above points of being contradictory also----to me its seeing all the positives and negatives in each style of play and tuning our attack either way when required.

TC your are quite right about gift drifting occasionally, although thankfully for us it pays off most of the time. A thing that id like to see which gifty is good at but has moved away from the last few months is his ability to run holes. At the start of the year DCE was putting gift through holes quite reguraly. If he can mix that up with his ability to be a ball player teams defending wouldnt know what to do ! ''Is he going the short ball ? Or is he going round the back ? '' is what they should be thinking every single time gift looks like getting the ball. But i cant complain were killing it ! so Happy days = )

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6