A couple of Technical questions

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bazeagle said:
Very risky and gutsy topic The Who. The use of the word "Technical" in the heading threatens to unleash a detailed and lengthy lecture from Technical Coach.

Impossible now due to a higher power, a tap on the shoulder via email has saved this thread and in general from more TC dribble.(damn media outlets)

bazeagle said:
Very risky and gutsy topic The Who. The use of the word "Technical" in the heading threatens to unleash a detailed and lengthy lecture from Technical Coach.

Impossible now due to a higher power, a tap on the shoulder via email has saved this thread and in general from more TC dribble.(damn media outlets)

DSM5 said:
My guess is that the only time this could be feasible is on a short kick-off. The reason the berries used it is that Morris is a very tall man and can catch and Jorge is useless when under the high ball. Robbo was good at the jumping game.

Perret caught the kick and scored, but your point is valid and one I've made before: Matai can't extend his arms above his head because of injury, and Jorge can't, or isn't prepared to, jump. Wingers are string beans these days. Edrick Lee is the shape you need with so much attack no resting jumping and catching the bomb.

DSM5 said:
My guess is that the only time this could be feasible is on a short kick-off. The reason the berries used it is that Morris is a very tall man and can catch and Jorge is useless when under the high ball. Robbo was good at the jumping game.

Perret caught the kick and scored, but your point is valid and one I've made before: Matai can't extend his arms above his head because of injury, and Jorge can't, or isn't prepared to, jump. Wingers are string beans these days. Edrick Lee is the shape you need with so much attack no resting jumping and catching the bomb.

I think Jorge will be okay in time, he just needs some education from a very good AFL player like Goodes, on how to contest for the ball in the air and read it's flight.

At the moment I don't think Jorge gets a very good read on the ball in the air and hence he is moving more backwards or flat footed, than moving forward and attacking the ball, which Robbo was good at and so too is Brett and Slater (plus others).

If you watch the really good AFL players, when a high ball is in flight, they judge it almost perfectly and if it's like a bomb situation, on most occasions, they intitally move back in order to move forward at the time the ball arrives (if they think it's going to land where they are currently standing).

Practice makes perfect and I'm sure Foz and DCE will be helping out with the high stuff in the New Year or maybe even now.

I think Jorge will be okay in time, he just needs some education from a very good AFL player like Goodes, on how to contest for the ball in the air and read it's flight.

At the moment I don't think Jorge gets a very good read on the ball in the air and hence he is moving more backwards or flat footed, than moving forward and attacking the ball, which Robbo was good at and so too is Brett and Slater (plus others).

If you watch the really good AFL players, when a high ball is in flight, they judge it almost perfectly and if it's like a bomb situation, on most occasions, they intitally move back in order to move forward at the time the ball arrives (if they think it's going to land where they are currently standing).

Practice makes perfect and I'm sure Foz and DCE will be helping out with the high stuff in the New Year or maybe even now.

Masked Eagle said:
Would the opposition be allowed to tackle him in the air? If not once caught than the two blokes doing the lifting should just carry him the length of the field, he can't be tackled because he's in the air and they can't be tackles because they haven't got the ball.

That's gold ME. Can just picture it now. Why don't we just get one of those "royal carriage things" with 2 people carrying the king ?

In fact, why don't we just keep one of this mini trampolines just over the sideline a few metres out and when the bomb goes up, Gift and Killer can run off, retrieve said trampoline and position it for the winger to use for a bit of extra lift ?

I'm sure there's no "trampoline clause" in any of the rules.

Lifting guys ? I'm sorry but that was just too funny.

Stay tuned for the "use of a jet pack" play. Damn I can't stop laughing.

Masked Eagle said:
Would the opposition be allowed to tackle him in the air? If not once caught than the two blokes doing the lifting should just carry him the length of the field, he can't be tackled because he's in the air and they can't be tackles because they haven't got the ball.

That's gold ME. Can just picture it now. Why don't we just get one of those "royal carriage things" with 2 people carrying the king ?

In fact, why don't we just keep one of this mini trampolines just over the sideline a few metres out and when the bomb goes up, Gift and Killer can run off, retrieve said trampoline and position it for the winger to use for a bit of extra lift ?

I'm sure there's no "trampoline clause" in any of the rules.

Lifting guys ? I'm sorry but that was just too funny.

Stay tuned for the "use of a jet pack" play. Damn I can't stop laughing.

We don't need any new tactics we are about to go on a five game winning streak with a loss against the Titans before beating the dogs in round one of the finals. I wont tell you what happens from there on but I will say this, if you can get a good GF ticket get it now - History is about to unfurl it's maroon and white wings and soar like the biggest bird of prey in this country - the might Sea Eagle!!!

We don't need any new tactics we are about to go on a five game winning streak with a loss against the Titans before beating the dogs in round one of the finals. I wont tell you what happens from there on but I will say this, if you can get a good GF ticket get it now - History is about to unfurl it's maroon and white wings and soar like the biggest bird of prey in this country - the might Sea Eagle!!!

Don't AFL players have one man stand near where the ball is coming down & then a team mate from behind runs up & jumps onto his shoulders to get high and catch the ball? No lifting required.

Don't AFL players have one man stand near where the ball is coming down & then a team mate from behind runs up & jumps onto his shoulders to get high and catch the ball? No lifting required.

Top End Eagle said:

I've got my tickets. If Manly is not in the GF then you, or your clairvoyant, are going to be named and shamed.

Top End Eagle said:

I've got my tickets. If Manly is not in the GF then you, or your clairvoyant, are going to be named and shamed.

1 - The best option is to give your winger legal coverage ensuring the attacker does not have all the run up & momentum.
The 1 area here that always suprises me is the fact the attacker MUST get the ball down so when in doubt the defending player can tackle the attacker IN the air legally. At very least if not knocking the ball free its the ultimate opportunity to hold the ball up yet rarely happens??

2 - The kick from a scrum is almost impossable to defend when executed well at speed but if used to often would be a cheap turnover, losing its main attribute - suprise.
Last Fridays try they raved about would have been plucked easily by Hoppa & many other wingers on the full for a 20 metre tap instead of a Dogs try & the commentary team would have been claiming it was a waste of possession & a poor option. The fact they targetted Taufua was fair game & an obvious reason for this option & .....they got the result f**k it.

1 - The best option is to give your winger legal coverage ensuring the attacker does not have all the run up & momentum.
The 1 area here that always suprises me is the fact the attacker MUST get the ball down so when in doubt the defending player can tackle the attacker IN the air legally. At very least if not knocking the ball free its the ultimate opportunity to hold the ball up yet rarely happens??

2 - The kick from a scrum is almost impossable to defend when executed well at speed but if used to often would be a cheap turnover, losing its main attribute - suprise.
Last Fridays try they raved about would have been plucked easily by Hoppa & many other wingers on the full for a 20 metre tap instead of a Dogs try & the commentary team would have been claiming it was a waste of possession & a poor option. The fact they targetted Taufua was fair game & an obvious reason for this option & .....they got the result f**k it.

The Who said:
Mal Cochrane said:
if the lifter is already there and doesn't change his line ( which he won't because he will also be under the ball ), it is no different to providing protection.

Anyway. i think it is a ludicrous idea. :)

Many of the great innovators were ridiculed initially. Catching the ball AFL style with arms outstretched is something relatively new. We were always taught to cradle the ball to the chest. And soccer-style goal kicking was innovative at the time.
Besides, my original post asked if it would be legal; it didn't suggest it was practical.

But you are not a great innovator! Nahh, just hacking at ya....didn't mean to burst your bubble.

The Who said:
Mal Cochrane said:
if the lifter is already there and doesn't change his line ( which he won't because he will also be under the ball ), it is no different to providing protection.

Anyway. i think it is a ludicrous idea. :)

Many of the great innovators were ridiculed initially. Catching the ball AFL style with arms outstretched is something relatively new. We were always taught to cradle the ball to the chest. And soccer-style goal kicking was innovative at the time.
Besides, my original post asked if it would be legal; it didn't suggest it was practical.

But you are not a great innovator! Nahh, just hacking at ya....didn't mean to burst your bubble.

Top End Eagle said:

The wedge tailed eagle is the biggest bird of prey in this country. Sorry to ruin the moment.

I like this post though and have a feeling you're going to be right. Big streak coming on hopefully dropping one game before the finals like last year. Gotta get it out of the system.

Although the Wedge-tailed eagle is closer to maroon in colour than a "white-bellied" Sea Eagle. So you're half on the money.

I like birds.

Top End Eagle said:

The wedge tailed eagle is the biggest bird of prey in this country. Sorry to ruin the moment.

I like this post though and have a feeling you're going to be right. Big streak coming on hopefully dropping one game before the finals like last year. Gotta get it out of the system.

Although the Wedge-tailed eagle is closer to maroon in colour than a "white-bellied" Sea Eagle. So you're half on the money.

I like birds.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8