A BIG thank you

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
i haven't missed a home game yet. Been to a few away games this year.

Got asked at work if i wanted to attend their dinner and drinks on a Friday night in July. I said, wait i'll check the Draw. If Manly arn't playing i'm there, LOL

The Gronk said:
People on here complain that we dont get big enough crowds, then they turn up and are accused of being bandwagon jumpers.

I actually think they are people with more things going on in their lives than just watching the eagles.

They aren't. They're people that were watching the earlier games at home because of the rain and wern't going last year because the team wasn't going as well as they are now. I've spoken to a few this week who've come straight out & said that was their reasoning and how good it was to be able to justify going again. One lives in Brookvale & the others Dee Why, or pretty close.

If that isn't bandwagoning, what is?

And can all the people who can't get out of work or who live in Finland stop whining every time this topic comes up. No one is having a go at you. We all have lives that prevent us from going to games. It's the ones watching the game on TV with their mates in Manly Vale that the problem is with. The ones who have the time & proximity, just not the concern.

Fonz said:
Ha ha. Bandwagon supporters. Now i've heard everything. Now the True supporters are putting everyone else into categories. I try an get to at least 1 hame game a year cause i live up the coast. But i never (and i mean never) miss watching regular season games or finals games. I'd be interested to know what category i fall into?

You're an out-of-towner. We don't expect out-of-towners to get to any of the games.

Fonz said:
Sorry Bones it's not you. I'm just confused at the actual meaning of the term Bandwagon supporters. I wonder if Jono has considered that the crowd at the Raiders and Cowboys games may have been significantly smaller as they are out of town teams? Is it possible that the influx was due to Manly Playing Parramatta? Considering it's closer wouldn't it be more likely that their fans travelled? Jono?

LOL. There weren't 6000 Parra supporters there on Monday. My point out of all of this is that we had 60000 at Homebush 3 years ago. We should be able to fill that park with 10000 + supporters every week. That doesn't mean that everyone can turn up to every game. That's stupid. However, with 60k it is logical that we could get that number at least every single time. We don't.

I don't class them as any less of a supporter than I am, but I after standing in the pouring rain for the Raiders game, and standing up there during the Cowboys game, have a right to look down my nose at Northern Beaches Manly supporters for staying home last Saturday to watch the game if their excuse was "I have Foxtel", "its too cold", "it might rain".

It is always good to see us get the numbers so, if they are not jumping on the wagon, why can't we get a constant 10,000 every single game (minimum)? What kind of crowd will we get the week after our next loss?

I will say one more thing: my anger for these supporters spreads a long way: they don't turn up to home games after a loss the week before, they don't come out to Homebush on the biggest day for our team in 11 years, and they clogged up the Leagues club after we won because they were on the Northern Beaches while we were still coming home from the game. Don't tell me I am wrong because going to most of the games you see this happen time and time again and I am over it.

The club doesn't just need people to say they are a supporter and to support them from your armchair or computer screen. They need financial support as well and it doesn't help when we get 6000 and 8000 to our previous home games.

Duff said:
The Gronk said:
People on here complain that we dont get big enough crowds, then they turn up and are accused of being bandwagon jumpers.

I actually think they are people with more things going on in their lives than just watching the eagles.

They aren't. They're people that were watching the earlier games at home because of the rain and wern't going last year because the team wasn't going as well as they are now. I've spoken to a few this week who've come straight out & said that was their reasoning and how good it was to be able to justify going again. One lives in Brookvale & the others Dee Why, or pretty close.

If that isn't bandwagoning, what is?

And can all the people who can't get out of work or who live in Finland stop whining every time this topic comes up. No one is having a go at you. We all have lives that prevent us from going to games. It's the ones watching the game on TV with their mates in Manly Vale that the problem is with. The ones who have the time & proximity, just not the concern.

This. This is exactly the point. If you are from out of town or have commitments this ISN'T about you. The problem is getting a better crowd on a Monday than we have any other game since the Newcastle game in Round 3 (Good Friday Penrith game might be the last time actually, not sure on the numbers). Mondays are supposed to be averaging 10k - 12k. Saturday we should get 15k+. Just because we are playing Canberra or the Cowboys is no excuse. Think of it more like, Manly vs 4th place on the table = an awesome match that the team needs our support at, or Manly vs the bottom team on the table = this will be an easy game lets join the celebrating.

I couldn't turn up to the Penrith vs Manly game in 2008 at Brookie because I was working. We had 7000 there that night. It was cold but it wasn't raining. I had an excuse, I bet a lot of people from the Northern Beaches didn't that night

codewana said:
Duff, why have a problem with them at all?

Because they get on here and complain that the ticket queues were too long when they got to the ground 30mins before the game starts, or they are the first ones to rip into the team when we lose a game.

Then its also these same people that expect the club to roll over for them or they clog up our club on GF days.

Why shouldn't we have a problem with them? Yes we are all Manly supporters. However, sitting on a couch in your Brookvale or Dee Why unit watching the game doesn't help the club financially and doesn't help us on the hill when we want to make some noise.

Its pretty ironic that we haven't had 18k+ at Brookie since the Dragons game 2008. Can you explain this?

The points you raise above are core issues with the NRL and don't just apply to Manly. You have to understand that there are a great deal of supporters, not just hardcore and bandwagon. Its human nature for people to be attracted to something positive and join in celebrating ie. a team leading up to and winning a grand final. Some teams have a higher percentage of people 'sticking around for the bad times' than others.

The fact that NRL teams are missing out on numbers through the gates due to supporters watching games on pay TV and therefore not contributing financially is something they should all be compensated largely for. The current state of Brookvale oval and the weather over the past 2 seasons also contribute to lower numbers at home games.

I think all supporters that want manly to win the premiership are true supporters and personally hope the bandwagon continues to grow, you can't stop it and the bigger it gets, the better we are!

I'd like to hear from someone who bought a ticket on the night and how long it took to get processed. I have bought tickets from the front gate, Maccas end and back entrance the last two years (after my 6 game membership ran out) and it seemed to be outsourced to Ticketek goons who had the dexterity of armless wombats. It took about two minutes to get a ticket and that was with cash. When it was run by the club years ago a ticket was obtained in about 10 seconds. Recent ground improvements included redoing the selling booths. Is this still a problem this year?

Where does everyone get the 60k figure from re 2008?

80k at the ground? 20k melbourne storm?

Would be interested to see the actual logic behind.

For me this whole placing of worth on any supporter (band wagon etc) is a crock of ....

Everyone, and i mean everyone, has their own story re the game and why they can attend or otherwise. In fact you could argue the person who purchases merchandise / watches on tv (therefore contributing to television money) is as much a supporter as those who attend games

Either way it is a crock

Ahh this old chestnut. It's been on the cards for a while, and here it is.

Garts should enter this debate, he's a "local" who often skips home games due to the weather and wanting to have a glass or two of red while watching it on pay. Get in here Garts, this thread is directed at you.

Jono now you're comparing apples with sultana's. How do you compare a crowd at a grand final to a crow at brookie? We may not get into a grand final for another 20 years but we play at brookie every 2nd weekend.

Also, what gives you the right to judge the people who turned up at the leagues club after the grand final win? Maybe they watched it there cause they couldn't get tickets to the game? Maybe they didn't. Do you honestly believe the red carpet should be rolled out for you because you went to the game? FMD.

Were the 60000 at the GF all Manly fans? I don't think so. It seems to me that many people purchase tickets to see an excellent game of footie. I well remember winning tickets from the club in 2005 for the GF. I could have gone, but as we were not playing, gave my tickets to some Tiger fans. They sat amongst other Manly fans at the game. Therefore proving my point that all persons at the GF who were not Storm fans were not necessarily Manly fans in 2008. 14000 at a Monday night game should be celebrated and the club should look at getting those people back on a regular basis. And those fans who can only get to a few games should consider pre-purchasing or buy the three game ticket option. All available on the net.

If you watch the game in 08 the ground was covered in Maroon and White. Yes, it might have been 40k Manly 20k Melbourne 20k Others. However, my point still stands that the numbers we got there should easily cover an extra 5000 through the gate for every game.

As for the ones at the Leagues, its not the ones that were already there that I had a problem with. In fact, the place was about a third full while the game was on. Once again, it was the ones that stayed at home then, when we won, decided to go to the Leagues club and fill the place up. This meant that the people out at the game couldn't celebrate with the players until the club had emptied after the players had arrived.

I have every right because at the time, and now, I was a Leagues Club member, I was a football club member, I was a season ticket holder and I had a ticket for the GF. The money I spent on the club and at the Leagues club on a weekly basis alone gives me that right.

Oh and the GF wasn't sold out either from what I can remember.

Jono said:
If you watch the game in 08 the ground was covered in Maroon and White. Yes, it might have been 40k Manly 20k Melbourne 20k Others. However, my point still stands that the numbers we got there should easily cover an extra 5000 through the gate for every game.

As for the ones at the Leagues, its not the ones that were already there that I had a problem with. In fact, the place was about a third full while the game was on. Once again, it was the ones that stayed at home then, when we won, decided to go to the Leagues club and fill the place up. This meant that the people out at the game couldn't celebrate with the players until the club had emptied after the players had arrived.

I have every right because at the time, and now, I was a Leagues Club member, I was a football club member, I was a season ticket holder and I had a ticket for the GF. The money I spent on the club and at the Leagues club on a weekly basis alone gives me that right.

You should've been so ecstatic after the result to not worry about trivial matters like you've mentioned above. Not a true fan in my books.

DSM5 said:
Were the 60000 at the GF all Manly fans? I don't think so. It seems to me that many people purchase tickets to see an excellent game of footie. I well remember winning tickets from the club in 2005 for the GF. I could have gone, but as we were not playing, gave my tickets to some Tiger fans. They sat amongst other Manly fans at the game. Therefore proving my point that all persons at the GF who were not Storm fans were not necessarily Manly fans in 2008. 14000 at a Monday night game should be celebrated and the club should look at getting those people back on a regular basis. And those fans who can only get to a few games should consider pre-purchasing or buy the three game ticket option. All available on the net.

Are you mellowing with age DSM, or is it just that Orford has jumped off your back, or you his ?

Jono said:

I find it hard to understand that you have a problem with manly supporters. People will support the team and club in different ways and they have every right to support the team the way they want too. You are a fanatical supporter which is great but you shouldn't think less of those they don't support the club to the same level you do.

I loved seeing all those supporters at the club after the GF, they were there to celebrate does it really matter if they were at the game, watched it on the box or listened to it on the radio.

Pearso said:
Jono said:

I find it hard to understand that you have a problem with manly supporters. People will support the team and club in different ways and they have every right to support the team the way they want too. You are a fanatical supporter which is great but you shouldn't think less of those they don't support the club to the same level you do.

I loved seeing all those supporters at the club after the GF, they were there to celebrate does it really matter if they were at the game, watched it on the box or listened to it on the radio.

I never said I have a problem with Manly supporters. I said I have a problem with Manly supporters that live on the Northern Beaches who either never put money where their mouth is, or turn up when we are winning and not when we are losing. That is who I have a problem with. We have people that travel here from out of Sydney every single week. Some people on the Northern Beaches can't even walk out of their own door and catch a 15 min bus because it is too cold, or it might rain.

This is also an example of why we should never move to the SFS. Manly fans can't even get themselves to turn up to Brookie on a Saturday night, how the hell will we get 10,000 fans or more to support us at the SFS if they can't get to a ground in their own backyard?

All I am saying is get your act together. I will return to this post the next home game after a loss. Let's see what the crowds are then.

Where does it lead having a problem with Manly supporters?

1. It makes you unhappy.

2. It doesn't help anyone.

Are you crazy? Stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLMTvxOaeE

Grand final tickets aren't cheap Jono. Maybe some people simply can't afford to pay $100+ for a ticket to a game of football. Just because we can, doesn't mean everyone can.

All boils down to the fact going to rugby league games is an expensive exercise, not many ppl can afford to go all games

It's very difficult planning to go to games. I live about 90min from Brookie and getting to a game means firstly being able to attend (which rules out friday and monday nights), finding a babysitter for my 1 year old (who I would only take to a Sunday arvo game) and then ensuring that there is nothing else on that afternoon/evening (3 hours of travel plus a good 2.5 hours at the game). It sux not being able to attend, I was there on that cold night in '08 when we played Penrith, I was there for the farewell for Beaver against the Titans, I was there for the thumping of St Merge in week 1 of the finals. Last year I managed to get to 2 Manly game, one at Brookie and one at Parra stadium. This year I had the Parra game maked on the calender but alas Monday nights suck arse. It's possible that the only game I'll get to this season will be at Parra stadium (hopefully it'll be a Saturday or Sunday game) but chances are with all the Sunday games coming up that won't be the case. There are many of us that would love to attend every game but we have to pick and choose due to circumstances. Like many supporters, I put down the Parra game at Brooky as a must-attend and I think it has more to do with that rivalry than any bandwagon.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7