9 Knights facing the sack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Nine Knights face sack

By Barry Toohey
May 30, 2007

AS many as nine top-grade Newcastle Knights players could be shown the door at the end of the season as coach Brian Smith prepares to cut a swath through the playing ranks.

The player purge has already claimed new Melbourne Storm signing Clint Newton while props Josh Perry (Manly) and Adam Woolnough (Penrith) are set to announce in the coming weeks they will part with the club at the end of the season.

The futures of Daniel Abraham, George Carmont, Brad Tighe, Milton Thaiday, Riley Brown, Reegan Tanner and David Seage remain under a cloud and there is every chance most will be looking for new clubs.

Despite levels of player unrest brought on by the contract speculation and accusations he is "ripping the heart out of the club", Smith is prepared to ride out any backlash in a bid to bring about significant changes to his player roster.

Has Newcastle given Perry and Woolnough permission to negotiate? It is still May in my calendar.

I hope Drugcastle get left with nothing and dwell near the bottom for the next decade. Interesting that through careful planning the only players wanting out of or being shown the door from Manly are ones that cannot get a starting berth due to the way our recruitment has worked.

Typical Smith tactic. Take a team with a massive junior base, sack all the locals who bleed for the club & bring in a revolvin door of mercinaries who'll get nearish the top but not quite there.
He's truly a great coach. Look out Des. ;)

The thing that amazes me is that anyone would sit down with Brian Smith and have him say ok this is my plan and it doesn't occur to anyone that it hasn't been overly sucessful anywhere he has been

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4