$600m for PNG to join NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Eagle 1

First Grader
It won't deter China

The money would have been better spent buying a couple of dozen nukes with a range of Beijing and Shanghia

The only way to stop China
And the crazy part of this, it may get down to this, what with the tensions in Taiwan and all. Lets all pray China doesn't do this for everyones sake.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Gday @lsz hope your well mate.

I'll be honest i hate it for the following reasons
1) who will want to play for them from Aus and NZ
2) WA makes more sense makes because it makes the comp more national and not just an east coast presence and WA's time zone gives us a whole new time slot. We could super dooper saturday :) with 3pm, 5:30pm, 730pm and 9:30pm (730 WST)
3) its not pandemic proof look at the dramas coursed and the sacrifices the Warriors had to make during covid it was near impossible but doable with the Wah with a second international club it would add another level of complexity
4) I love RL but 600mil spent on a foreign club when we have a housing and cost of living crisis is disgusting. This whole notion its to prevent the chinese buying out PNG is horse poo. The CCP have way more money at their disposal than our 600mil.

for me it should be

18 Perth (Anything but the dirty bears)
19 Western Corridor Jets (based in ipswich with home colours of Green and white and an alternate jersey for sydney away games of royal blue) Another nice bit of synergy is the late great Tommy played for both clubs and coached ipswich.
20 Christchurch, the plan the warriors and the NRL have put together to go up against Rugby Yawnion in NZ is a winner imo.

That would be a more balanced comp
with a footprint in 3 states and one territories, north and south island of NZ and South East Qld covered from the south with the Titans, Central and east with Broncos, North with redcliffe and west to toowoomba with the Jets.
Nice to hear from you mate.

Agree but why not make it 22 teams?

As for players there will be enough to go around - as for the politics again no idea so will go with others on their view as I am not sure about this one

Eagle 1

First Grader
Double Hoops,

As someone who’s lived and worked in PNG for 8+ years, I left in 2022, here’s my thoughts:

A) A PNG team in the NRL will be very well supported and it’s been stated that it will be PNG based,

B) Living in a compound is not that bad with the right attitude but be very wary when you’re “outside the wire”, so not much fun for a large number of people, especially those with families, it severely restricts your freedom in ways that Australian, NZ and Pommie players will, probably, find very frustrating; their families more so, you need to realise that there’s large portions of the population who are desperately poor and that they’ll be seen as a walking wallet and very rich(compared to the vast majority you are) and they’ll attract criminal attention,

C) Watch the money go missing, very quickly this will attract all the “important” people who think than they are entitled to skim off the funds. A$60 mill p.a. will be eaten up very, very quickly and IMHO, there will be nothing of substance to show for it. As an aviation type, there was a very well funded Oz government project to increase the coverage and availability of landing and approach procedures, via GPS, the total amount was A$500 mill(IIRC) and was supposed to be for 30+ airports. As soon as the money was given, the PNG government agencies(Public Service monopolies) concerned with aviation services(think Air Traffic Control), started advertising heavily on the local TV(free to air and subscription services) during NRL games. There were rumours of corporate boxes for the honchos at games; I can’t confirm that though. The number of airports that received the new approaches was well less than 30(less than 10, IIRC) and they really weren’t that good. Lots of Ozzie tax payer money pissed up against the wall for not a great improvement in safety,

D) This is really a hearts and minds political push to avert Chinese influence to our North, IMHO it has very little to do with expanding the game. Also, good luck stopping the Chinese influence, as it’s every where up there and it’s not going to stop.

E) As an Ozzie taxpayer, this is a total waste of money on a fantasy of Albo’s and it shouldn’t be allowed to happen, but it probably will, and I predict that the PNG team will need constant financial support from the Australian taxpayer.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Your C section comments are bang on the money. And you just know that the wrong peple will find a way to take their cut of the top.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Albo could cancel the deal, but he wont. Same with Scomo as well, just no accountability in the way they spend the tax payers hard earned.
Why did they do it?

But did Labor even order these new RAAF jets? Well, no, because that was done by Scott Morrison’s government, a year after his jet broke down in 2020 with embarrassing consequences:

But it is actually saving money?

The Australian noted — but almost no one else did — buying the planes had actually reduced the bill for taxpayers because the cost of leasing them had blown out

Again not an Albo decision and one that actually is saving money.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Why did they do it?

But did Labor even order these new RAAF jets? Well, no, because that was done by Scott Morrison’s government, a year after his jet broke down in 2020 with embarrassing consequences:

But it is actually saving money?

The Australian noted — but almost no one else did — buying the planes had actually reduced the bill for taxpayers because the cost of leasing them had blown out

Again not an Albo decision and one that actually is saving money.
And no surprises, a favourable ABC comment for Albo. Have already acknowledged Scomo's complicity in this monstrous 450m deal that the long suffering Aust tax payer have to pay out again. Why cant Albo and his entourage just jump onto a fitted out RAAF plane, now that would save us some serious coin.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
And no surprises, a favourable ABC comment for Albo. Have already acknowledged Scomo's complicity in this monstrous 450m deal that the long suffering Aust tax payer have to pay out again. Why cant Albo and his entourage just jump onto a fitted out RAAF plane, now that would save us some serious coin.
Sigh.
It saves money.
But blame the ABC and what ever there is. I understand there needs to be considerate discussion over this investment from a political point of view - as I have stated I am not educated enough to have a view on this and will defer to others.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Sigh.
It saves money.
But blame the ABC and what ever there is. I understand there needs to be considerate discussion over this investment from a political point of view - as I have stated I am not educated enough to have a view on this and will defer to others.
Politics aside, it seems pretty straightforward to me Iza, either you support the 450m tax payer funded 2 luxury buisnes class RAAF planes... or you don't..

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Politics aside, it seems pretty straightforward to me Iza, either you support the 450m tax payer funded 2 luxury buisnes class RAAF planes... or you don't..
When it costs more to rent the planes then buying them I do not see the issue. As always let’s agree to disagree on this one

WiseyEagle

Reserve Grader
I worked in PNG 20 years ago, sponsored by CHEVRON. Port Moresby was like the wild west then and probably still is. Common sights in the PM main street were white men getting out of old Toyota utes with a bag in one hand and a shotgun in the other, walking across to the bank to be greeted by 2 large security guys with large German Sheperd's and with big clubs in their hands. 10:30am in the morning. Guns, guns and more guns. If not guns, spears and shields or machete's

Eagle 1

First Grader
When it costs more to rent the planes then buying them I do not see the issue. As always let’s agree to disagree on this one
Just on ending, how much would it of cost to rent 2 RAAF planes, and why do we need 2 ?.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Honestly this is 100% political & nothing else.

Whilst I agree they are footy mad up there operating an NRL team , with home & away games , will be nigh on impossible.

At best they’ll be based in Cairns & probably play 10 games there & two in POM under enormous security.

There will hardly be a non indigenous player ( indigenous to PNG) who will want to be a part of it if they are based in Moresby.

The obvious 18th team , purely on a broadcast perspective, is WA ( the extra game that could provide live is gold ).

This is totally about China & nothing to do with Australia being “ good international citizens”.

Is the $600 million better spent on infrastructure, education, health or real cost of living assistance like reducing the petrol / diesel excise ????

Of course it is.

As far as the arguments go about VIP jets, our leaders deserve to be able to travel on comfort to important meetings so I have zero issues and this shouldn’t be political. Any purchase made will be utilised by various leaders over the next 15 years or so.

Hotspur2014

Reserve Grader
STOP PRESS
Serbian newspaper Novosti report that Serbian Sports Club Red Star Belgrade have been granted the next NRL franchise.
The Club already have a strong soccer and basketball presence in Europe , and according to the paper they have already signed Tom, Jake and Ben Trbojevic plus DCE as inaugural players and more NRL players also committed.
Tom’s deal could be hamstrung by a medical test and DCE’s deal has a non back-flip clause.
Welcome to the new world order of Rugby League !
Saying that how good will the PNG Head Hunters v the Red Star Belgrade Bomb Throwers game be …. ??🤣😵‍💫

Eagle 1

First Grader
Honestly this is 100% political & nothing else.

Whilst I agree they are footy mad up there operating an NRL team , with home & away games , will be nigh on impossible.

At best they’ll be based in Cairns & probably play 10 games there & two in POM under enormous security.

There will hardly be a non indigenous player ( indigenous to PNG) who will want to be a part of it if they are based in Moresby.

The obvious 18th team , purely on a broadcast perspective, is WA ( the extra game that could provide live is gold ).

This is totally about China & nothing to do with Australia being “ good international citizens”.

Is the $600 million better spent on infrastructure, education, health or real cost of living assistance like reducing the petrol / diesel excise ????

Of course it is.

As far as the arguments go about VIP jets, our leaders deserve to be able to travel on comfort to important meetings so I have zero issues and this shouldn’t be political. Any purchase made will be utilised by various leaders over the next 15 years or so.
If you're not playing games in Port Moresby what's the point getting PNG in the NRL.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If you're not playing games in Port Moresby what's the point getting PNG in the NRL.
The political point , nothing else.

It’s simply not safe up there , the security involved when the Kangaroos go up there is unbelievable, you see lots of happy smiling faces but behind the scene it’s full on.

I had a good mate , a pilot , who went up there for the big $$$ to fly commuter aircraft , he said it was like living in a prison and needing prison transfers just to get to & from the airport for work.

As some one else has said “ the wild Wild West “.

There’s no way they can have 12 home games there, as I say they’ll be based in Cairns and at best play 2 home games.

Eagle 1

First Grader
The political point , nothing else.

It’s simply not safe up there , the security involved when the Kangaroos go up there is unbelievable, you see lots of happy smiling faces but behind the scene it’s full on.

I had a good mate , a pilot , who went up there for the big $$$ to fly commuter aircraft , he said it was like living in a prison and needing prison transfers just to get to & from the airport for work.

As some one else has said “ the wild Wild West “.

There’s no way they can have 12 home games there, as I say they’ll be based in Cairns and at best play 2 home games.
Worthy comments Mark, of the 600m I wonder what the rakeup of the top will the NRL get....lots.

Eagle 1

First Grader
You know those planes were ordered by the Blue team…..and were $100m cheaper than leasing…..and for the record I’m colour blind when it comes to politics (and in real life) before shooting any arrows my way.
nah, I'm out of arrows UtS, I find spending 50m shy of half a billion for 2 planes is just crazy money to spend for mine.

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Be interested to hear opinions from you blokes that have lived in or worked in PNG.

How big or small is the cultural, language and lifestyle difference to Oz?

This speculation that a PNG team will need to be based in Cairns, it makes it difficult to see how this team can be made into a success.

If I remember correctly the PNG Hunters were initially based in and played home games out of Kapoko on the smaller PNG island of New England on account of security concerns for QRL teams initially playing in Port Moresby.

Hunters now appear to be based in and playing home games out of Port and I don't recall there being major issues.

Kapoko has a population of 20k
Port Moresby 450k

So I find it hard to imagine NRL games being played else where then Port

Could a FIFI team based in Australia work?

I'm not sure an NRL squad just made up 30 ring in players all based in Australia is necessarily going to be something that will resonate with our PNG friends, just because the logo has PNG on it, at the very least it would hardly be representative of the PNG community.

On the flip side, so let's say this is a team in which the majority of the squad are current PNG men, largely from the current Hunters QRL team.

If it is considered too big an ask for say 10 or so NRL stars, marquee top and higher dollar earners, for them and there family's to be based in and live in PNG. If that is too much to expect.

Is the converse expectation much much worse?

Ie an expectation that for PNG men to play for a PNG team, potentially men currently living in Port, playing footy for the Hunters out of Port, current non stars of the game, so players that won't be paid as highly within a salary cap system, yet the expectation that such men along with their family move themselves away from home in PNG, move to Australia, that they navigate the cultural, linguistics and lifestyle differences.

All so that the highly paid or non PNG born players and there family's don't have too?

It's just food for thought.

But are Ozzie power brokers already looking at through an eliteist Ozzie lens;-)

But there sure would be some challenging dynamics with this franchise to work through.
Very challenging to have a team based in Port Moresby, the security intelligence would be worth a fair whack each month, let alone boots on the ground security personnel.

Having lived in compounds it’s okay if you are by yourself, however having family based in a compound is very different, you got to hope the wives all get along, one disagreement can divide people very quickly.

Schools would be a no go in PNG, there would be need to have a school in the compound, for a group of say 50 players they may have 80 kids of school age between them.

Medical, the compound would need to cater the personnel medical requirements, a GP and a nurse maybe.

That’s just the basics, go outside the wire without security would be a no go, very hard for people to choose to live behind a wire perimeter all day, wives mainly find this very difficult.

A player or coaching staff would need to think if the remuneration is worth challenging your relationship, (could cost you more than what you would make) single blokes no problem they would be fine, just need to avoid the troppo juice and not go native, I have witnessed this with some blokes in Nigeria and Angola..

As it is with most 3rd world countries, you can pay your way in and out of most things, corruption would be a challenge for the government officials.

In short a logistical nightmare to cater a team in Port Moresby, as Jerry pointed out maybe living in Cairns would be the plan, but what that does for PNG who knows..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
15 10 5 108 24
15 10 5 77 24
16 10 6 195 22
15 8 7 64 20
15 8 7 40 20
16 9 7 2 20
15 8 7 -30 20
15 7 7 28 19