$600m for PNG to join NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member

News.com.au....

‘Deal is done’: Australian taxpayers to fork out $600m for PNG to join NRL​

A lucrative deal for the NRL to expand into a foreign country has reportedly been ticked off with the venture to be backed by Australian taxpayers.

Australian taxpayers are set to spend $600m as the NRL gets set to expand into international waters.
Plans for an 18th team into the competition have long been in place with Papua New Guinea now reportedly confirmed as the winners of a new license.

Full story link...

sheridanstand78

First Grader
This is not a smart expansion. We need to sure up the existing and unbalanced comp that we currently have.

Each way Albo only recently bothered to act about Leichhardt oval in his electorate after a local back lash, surely this money could be used to invest in stadia, facilities for the struggling clubs in the NRL.

In my opinion we do NOT have enough players to go around and ignoring NZ and WA is mistake!

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
No way this 'deal is done'. Surely!
What a cynical move, if it is. Give PNG the 600mil to dig out the 1000s squashed in landslides, or buy basic medical services for maternity cases in rural areas, by all means. But to spend all that pushing macho NRL culture in that troubled land, presumably to counter the alleged China influence? No, our govt is bad but I can't believe our govt could be that bad. Story must be a beat-up.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Nothing to do with rugby league. Political pressure to try and curry favour with PNG to stop them being bought out by the Chinese. This is politics at it's most disgusting but then do we want a virtual Chinese state on our doorstep??

Nordburg

First Grader
This is not a smart expansion. We need to sure up the existing and unbalanced comp that we currently have.

Each way Albo only recently bothered to act about Leichhardt oval in his electorate after a local back lash, surely this money could be used to invest in stadia, facilities for the struggling clubs in the NRL.

In my opinion we do NOT have enough players to go around and ignoring NZ and WA is mistake!
I think there’s enough players,just not ones who’ll want to go to PNG.They’ll give incentives for players to go there,but they’ll only stay for short stints,It’ll be a transit lounge.For it to be any sort of success,the team needs to be 75% locals and that’s not going to happen until the NRL sets up a grass roots system.
As for the pay TV element of this deal,there would be more subscribers in the western corridor of Brisbane,the area Brisbane Tigers expansion bid are planning on targeting,than the $$ any PNG subscribers will generate

WiseyEagle

Reserve Grader
Albanese, once again spending and wasting the Australian public's money. He didn't take the hint wasting 450+ million dollars on a divisive referendum. Sooner he is gone the better. Australians always suffer under a Labor/Greens government.

double hoops

First Grader
Nothing to do with rugby league. Political pressure to try and curry favour with PNG to stop them being bought out by the Chinese. This is politics at it's most disgusting but then do we want a virtual Chinese state on our doorstep??
Pretty sure China's pockets are bigger than Australia's.

Can anyone see China stopping all commerce with PNG on the basis that they don't have anything to offer as amazing and miraculous as a Rugby game! PLEASE.

PNG will be thank you $600M from Australia.

Now China how about that 6 Billion for an airport up grade so your fighter jets (We mean IE Australian tourists can arrive and watch some blokes running with a fake pig skin)

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
I have no idea if it makes sense financially, logistically or from a political stand point but I do love the idea of a PNG team

Peter C

Bencher
I have no idea if it makes sense financially, logistically or from a political stand point but I do love the idea of a PNG team
There are far more deserved areas than PNG, as this is all about politics just like the referendum it will end in tears because PNG will still hold out it's hand for the Chinese cash, just like the Solomans did.
I used to love the game, then they brought in golden point, the shoulder charge and a hundred different versions of it, then the six again rule, now kickers are protected to the nth degree, now this PNG farce, Ver landys and co have farked up our game.

double hoops

First Grader
They do have a team in the QRL.

Not exactly a consistent force in that lower competition to force their way into NRL unfortunately.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Pretty sure China's pockets are bigger than Australia's.

Can anyone see China stopping all commerce with PNG on the basis that they don't have anything to offer as amazing and miraculous as a Rugby game! PLEASE.

PNG will be thank you $600M from Australia.

Now China how about that 6 Billion for an airport up grade so your fighter jets (We mean IE Australian tourists can arrive and watch some blokes running with a fake pig skin)
Never let any form of common sense enter the conversation when it comes to Australian Government decisions. You can bet they've had some insane influence in this.

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This is a decision that is hard to fathom.

It will be extremely difficult for players to live there, living in a compound has many challenges.

The decision leaves more questions than answers. will they pay players extra remuneration for living and playing there? Those with families would be asking themselves why they would expose their families to any potential security risk.

Why they didn’t go with a second New Zealand team knowing that the Warriors have had all their home games this season as sell outs.

Personally having lived and worked in PNG I would not move my family there.

Jerry1

First Grader
This is a decision that is hard to fathom.

It will be extremely difficult for players to live there, living in a compound has many challenges.

The decision leaves more questions than answers. will they pay players extra remuneration for living and playing there? Those with families would be asking themselves why they would expose their families to any potential security risk.

Why they didn’t go with a second New Zealand team knowing that the Warriors have had all their home games this season as sell outs.

Personally having lived and worked in PNG I would not move my family there.
Maybe if you based the team in Madang - not so bad there. I suppose what they'd probably do is base the team in Cairns & fly over for the games.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
15 10 5 108 24
15 10 5 77 24
16 10 6 195 22
15 8 7 64 20
15 8 7 40 20
16 9 7 2 20
15 8 7 -30 20
15 7 7 28 19