60 years of manly!! name the best team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would take you to task on that Byso. Hasler routinely made line breaks, often from the scrum base, in the earlier part of his career that led to countless tries - many of them breaking games. He only lost that ability when his acceleration faded later in his career & led to his move to the forwards. And he could tackle.

Having said that, if Blakey could tackle, he would have stayed at Manly for years, possibly represented & would be my automatic choice for best half. But, importantly, attack is only half the game. Hasler was far more well rounded in ability than Blake.

Fair enough. To be honest i'll have to watch some old footage again of Blake, but I remember he had heaps of tallent from memory we struggled to score as many tries when he left.

Absolutely, Blake was a phenomenal attacking player, almost freakish in a lot of the stuff he did, and consequently great to watch. But it was mostly solo stuff & I don't particularly remember him directing the team around the park. I think he relied on others for that.

Your kidding again Byso, Blake left Manly at the end of 1986 and we won the comp the next season. We had no issue scoring tries at all.

Has it been a tough week at work or something?

Your kidding again Byso, Blake left Manly at the end of 1986 and we won the comp the next season. We had no issue scoring tries at all.

Considering we won in '87 you got me there :|

[quote author=byso]
Going by the Wheel he'd have Monas over Blake......pfffft

Gee you can jump off a bandwagon beautifully.

3 weeks ago you wanted to bare Monas' child, now you hate the bloke.
[/quote]

I challenge you to find any post were i've rated Monas highly over the last 3 months.

should i know who canteen worker is??

Did you play in nrl or arl or you just play these people in flegg or sumfin??
Mate - played Uni Cup and won a State Title when at school from a once strong country centre.Was basically a nobody (and a winger!!!) Had a bit of pace but not in the playing class of Des Hasler. In those days with the 13 import rule there weren't many chances for country young kids (especially wingers) to get to grade. My job and the woman won over any sport aspirations in my early 20s.

As for other players in the Uni Cup - Ross Conlon (Wests) was in that Rep team as was Mick Lans (Parra), John Muggleton was the year before I got there and there were a number of players who played firsts with Penrith (in those days nearly eveyone in that district got a few games in firsts) or reserve Grade with Norths and Tigers - most people wouldn't know who they were! Bill Annabel, ex Souths prop also played in the comp. In those days there was no Jim Beam Cup and so this ccmp attracted second tier players! Des was by far the best player in the comp!

[quote author=byso]

[/quote]

the break up was nasty :lol2:

IMO Alberts wont be here in 07 so he will need to have a huge impact next season to be mentioned in 10 years time.

Thats why I say no better half than Blake.

Manly has had good 5/8's but not many good Halfbacks.

Johnny Gibbs, Alan Thompson, Steve Martin, Phil Blake,Des Hasler, Geoff Toovey.

I may be wrong but I think all of the above, bar Blake, played for Australia.

Fair to say that we have had a bit of a drought when it comes to halves over the last decade. In fact I'd go so far as to say we have had some below average halfbacks in that time.

If only we had held onto Orford we could have maintained the fine tradition. He's back next year so all is forgiven.

No Mortimer, Johns, Sterling, Stewart or Alexanders amongst them.

Obviously Johnny Gibbs, Alan Thompson, Steve Martin, Phil Blake,Des Hasler, Geoff Toovey. are good players but not in the same class as the above players I mentioned.

What my point is, people seam to think that Manly need a world class halfback to win a comp. In reality I personally don't think we had that.

Except for Toovey Maybe at his best at half for about 3 years.

[quote author=woodstock premium reserve]
[quote author=byso]

[/quote]

I challenge you to find any post were i've rated Monas highly over the last 3 months.

[/quote]

Possible exaggeration.

However, I challenge you to prove you did not want to bare Monas' child/children at any stage this year.

lol......................Never had that in mind, but I did give him the raps he deserved prior to Monasgate. Then I gave him the raps he deserved after Monasgate.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4