60 years of manly!! name the best team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nutzcraw

Bencher
1. graham eadie
2. ken irvine
3. bob fulton
4. Micheal O'connor
5. Dale Shearer or Mathew Ridge (shearer maybe more suited to wing, i think ridge was better tho)
6. Cliff lyons
7. Geoff Toovey
8. Malcolm Reilly
9. Max Krilich
10. Mark Carroll
11. Noel Cleal
12. Steve Menzies
13. Paul Vautin

How good would it be?? Tell me yours

Eadie
Irvine
Bozo
Hill (1995 version not 2005)
O'Connor
lyons
Tooves
John Oneill
Krilich
Kevin Ward
Beaver
Randall
Reilly

I was going to go off the above team and change it from there but I can't fault yours Wheel. The only thing I was iffy about was Hill in the centres (was thinking of Innes) but the 95 version wasn't too bad!

I tossed up between Hill & Innes actually.

I always remember Wards effort the 1987 GF - as good as Roberts was he was too injury prone for mine. Roy Bull was another option at prop he played 22 tests for Australia!

1. Wombat Eadie (though Ridge gets honourable mention)
2. Ken Irvine - Best winger ever in League History
3. Bobby Fulton - Immortal
4. Ray Branighan - Great utility centre
5. Mick O'Connor - Can't be left out.
6. Cliffy Lyons - just ahead of Ian Martin
7. Geoff Toovey - just ahead of Des who was inspirational
13. John O'Neill - the hard man who was pillar of first two premierships
12. Max 'Bombthrower' Krilich - ahead of Fred Jones
11. Ian Roberts - more mobile than Kevin Ward
10. Steve Menzies - Manly legend and greatest ever tryscoring forward.
9. Terry Randall - Best defender and toughest forward I can remember (His son didn't study his tapes!)
8. Mal Reilly - Genuis, tough and creative, changed the way the game was played.

(Numbers done the old way as that is how I remember those Manly greats. Only Beaver has the wrong number to the one he played in!!)

Bench

14. Noel Crusher Cleal
15. Kevin Ward
16. Ian Martin
17. Nik Kosef

Hard to leave Danny Gartner and Fatty Vautin out of the squad but they just don't quite make it! BK needs to play in a Grand Final side or a contender to make the grade but he would have to be close as well. Ridge, Russell Gartner, Tom Mooney, Dale Shearer, Des Hasler, John McDonald and Craig Innes were hard to leave out as well.

Trivia: Only one of my mentioned squad never played in a premiership winning team. Who???

Have seen every team well since 1982. Some players are based on what I have read as they played before my time. Also some players are out of position. Anyway, using today's numbers:

1. G Eadie
2. K Irvine
3. B Fulton (c)
4. M O'Connor
5. D Shearer
6. C Lyons
7. D Hasler

8. M Carrol
9. M Krilich
10. I Roberts
11. N Cleal
12. T Randall
13. M Reilly

14. G Toovey
15. S Menzies
16. R Gibbs
17. J O'Neill

My team would be as follows. This is by no means the "best" team in terms of skill or ability, but is purely my own personal team of players that I enjoyed watching for a multitude of various reasons, some of which I couldn't even explain. Let's just say they are my "favourites". Also it is only taken from 1978 onwards, when my tragic love of the Maroon and White began.

1. Graham Eadie
2. Dale Shearer
3. Russel Gartner
4. Craig Innes
5. Michael O'Connor
6. Cliffy Lyons
7. Phil Blake

8. Ian Roberts
9. Max Krilich
10. David Gillespie
11. Terry Randall
12. Steve Menzies
13. Nik Kosef

14. Owen Cunnigham
15. Ronnie Gibbs
16. Mark Carroll
17. Noel Cleal

(18. Chris Close - if we have to have a reserve back)

Certainly Phil Blake at half. By far the most talented of all our halves.

I cannot believe that manly let him go.

I was glad he left. He had blinding acceleration and was a rare talent but he was not a premiership half. Hasler filled the breach and complemented Cliffy in a way that Blake never would have. Blake was sensational on the wing in one season!!

Eadie
Hoppa
Bozo
Hill (1995 version not 2005)
O'Connor
Lyons
Monaghan
Jason King
Toovey
Kevin Ward
Beaver
Watmough
Kennedy

I was glad he left. He had blinding acceleration and was a rare talent but he was not a premiership half. Hasler filled the breach and complemented Cliffy in a way that Blake never would have. Blake was sensational on the wing in one season!!

I cant believe what I just read.

Hasler was average at best. He was tough but low on talent. Blake made him look ordinary.

Didn't Blake take Manly to successive Grand Finals '82 and '83?

27 tries in '83

Byso, you are kidding if you think Hasler was just 'average'. He was a machine that never stopped tacking or attacking. He replaced Blake at half back in 1984.

Yes Manly did make consecutive GFs but Parra completely exploited Blake's defence & fragile confidence in those games.

Please, so Blake cost us those loses?

I'm sure the blame would be on more than one player wheel.

Have a look where all Parras attacked was aimed at and the number of tackles he missed. He was supposed to be our trump card/match winning half back but he never fired a shot in either game ( a part from a try when he fell on a bomb in 1982).

I think if you would ask any parra player who played that day about thier opinion of him and I think you will find the answer to your question.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4