6 Again Rule & Increased Fatigue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
I was a believer that the 6 again rule would help return footy to the 'good old days' and bring back fatigue, however IMO after watching last night's game, as well as noticing it a lot of other games, the 6 again rule has in-fact over cooked it when it comes to fatigue and has also become a farce in certain games

There has been an increase in injuries, and yes a lot of them are impact/contact injuries, however I believe some of those types of injuries are caused because the players are that exhausted that their body is just too worn out to be able to protects itself from the contact.

I know there will be some that say, the rule is great because it's removed the wrestle, but it has also made the game a little too fast. For two top 4 sides, the last 20 mins of last night's game was the poorest I've seen footy for a big contest in a while.

I feel that a review of the 6 again ruling in the off season is something that is needed, and I wouldn't mind seeing the following changes:
  • 6 again rule scrapped
  • If a player infringes a 3rd time in a game, no matter if it's spread out over 10 mins or 60 mins, they are sent to the bin for 5mins.
  • Interchanges reduced down to 6 per team, which won't bring as bigger fatigue factor as the 6 again, but it is something that is more manageable.
  • A 5th player on the bench that can only be brought on if a player is ruled out for the rest of the game.

IMO, the above would have been a better option for this season to gradually bring back the fatigue to the game, and think they should be brought in for 2021, and then perhaps re-visit the 6 again rule for 2022.

What do fellow STs feel a about the 6 again rule?

I'm in the minority I know but I like it. Faster game and less wrestling. Captains challenge means we don't hear Scam whinge any more as the ref just asks if he's challenging which shuts him up. If we can bring the interchange back to three replacements like the old days and decent scrums I'll be happy.

I think the 6-again rule is good, and if given out fairly adds to the game. I don't want to go back to the dour wrestle fests of the years prior.

I would argue the 10 metres is the problem. Defensive lines need to do an enormous amount of work to keep the 10 metres and that's gassing them out. I'm not sure if a shorter defensive line is the answer here though. It might be.

It's not perfect, but I think in the long run players will adapt and it will make for an exciting game. I think games are pretty good at the moment.

The only reason this is an issue is because the Roosters are missing a bunch of their golden boys. God forbid they have to put a rookie like Takeaho in their starting line up!. Oh my goodness they are going to have to bring their 3rd stringer Sonny Bill in early!.

When it was (and still is) Manly in the doghouse no one gives a flying, so I am a bit devoid of sympathy for others.

NYEagle

What do fellow STs feel about the 6 again rule?

Hate it.The major thing it has done is given the officials yet another way to ‘manage’ games, with less scrutiny or accountability than all the other methods they’d been using.

Have always thought it’s simple logic - if you want to bring fatigue back in as a factor, then tweak the main element that took it out of the mix in the first place - the interchange.

And while I want to see wrestling completely out of the game, for good, the 6 again rule hasn’t done it - there are still huge discrepancies in how it’s policed between teams. The golden teams are still getting away with way more in the ruck than their opposition, every single week.

I’ve all but lost interest in the game TBH, they’ve thoroughly stuffed it.

tenor-2.gif

Hate it and have hated it from the outset tbh. Cut the interchange to 4 a game and go from there. Eventually we might have a game that resembles what we once had. Rather than the robotic high collision product we have now. Right now we have introduced fatigue (6 again) as well as still having the provision of revolving interchange that reinforces the collision. The balance is out of whack imo. I’d love to see smaller players back in the game and workhorses like Jake actually being rewarded for their output. Would love to see a prop play the 80. We all know how dynamic Taumslolo is but he never plays s full game.

I was a believer that the 6 again rule would help return footy to the 'good old days' and bring back fatigue, however IMO after watching last night's game, as well as noticing it a lot of other games, the 6 again rule has in-fact over cooked it when it comes to fatigue and has also become a farce in certain games

There has been an increase in injuries, and yes a lot of them are impact/contact injuries, however I believe some of those types of injuries are caused because the players are that exhausted that their body is just too worn out to be able to protects itself from the contact.

I know there will be some that say, the rule is great because it's removed the wrestle, but it has also made the game a little too fast. For two top 4 sides, the last 20 mins of last night's game was the poorest I've seen footy for a big contest in a while.

I feel that a review of the 6 again ruling in the off season is something that is needed, and I wouldn't mind seeing the following changes:
  • 6 again rule scrapped
  • If a player infringes a 3rd time in a game, no matter if it's spread out over 10 mins or 60 mins, they are sent to the bin for 5mins.
  • Interchanges reduced down to 6 per team, which won't bring as bigger fatigue factor as the 6 again, but it is something that is more manageable.
  • A 5th player on the bench that can only be brought on if a player is ruled out for the rest of the game.

IMO, the above would have been a better option for this season to gradually bring back the fatigue to the game, and think they should be brought in for 2021, and then perhaps re-visit the 6 again rule for 2022.

What do fellow STs feel a about the 6 again rule?
I like your last 2 points. Scrap 6 again, 6 interchanges and an 18th and 19th man to be bought in if to cover a player who is injured due to foul play

Would love to see a prop play the 80. We all know how dynamic Taumslolo is but he never plays s full game.

Pretty sure the Roosters prop played the 80 last week. He does massive minutes regardless.

Agree with your point though.

I like it
Cuts out penalties and kicking for touch which can give teams a bigger leg up

Been saying for a few years now, you get a better spectacle at the local A grade level than the NRL.
And I'm on the coast, so the standard even drops again.

Less skill level, but a lot more enjoyable than seeing the robots on TV.

And to be brutally honest, it is the coaches fault that we have the product we do. High possession, mistake free, statistics based footy.

Coaches have always, and will continue to find the best way around the rules to gain the most advantage.
Until old school attacking footy becomes more advantageous than robot ball, then we will have what we have.

I like it. RL is now a much better spectacle than the boring and predictable Wrestlemania we had.
There are far more spectacular tries these days. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone in the current 17 fast or skilful enough to orchestrate such memorable tries.

The 6 again set restarts has not introduced genuine fatigue into the game. All it's done has enabled haphazard game deciding rubbish calls by referees to influence the flow of momentum and fatigue. It's the greatest load of sh*t seen in years. The principle of the rule was good but of course the execution of it has been abysmal. Now we see most games start with 1 side getting pummeled by set restarts because the assclown with a whistle decides it. I hate watching it, it's artificial rubbish rules being applied at a refs descretion

I like the concept where some ruck penalties are replaced with the 6 again, but I feel like we have gone too far the other way.

Refs are too liberal and are giving away too many infringements.

Now I haven't done the stats so maybe someone can help me but I feel like previously a game may have had 10 penalties but it now has 7 penalties and 6, 6-agains

The 6 again set restarts has not introduced genuine fatigue into the game. All it's done has enabled haphazard game deciding rubbish calls by referees to influence the flow of momentum and fatigue. It's the greatest load of sh*t seen in years. The principle of the rule was good but of course the execution of it has been abysmal. Now we see most games start with 1 side getting pummeled by set restarts because the assclown with a whistle decides it. I hate watching it, it's artificial rubbish rules being applied at a refs descretion
And we’ve been done by this in our last two outings

The litmus test for me was ...

Players such as Damien Cook and the nippy halves etc were supposed to carve it up when the big boys got fatigued .... it ain't happening ... the centre defenders are too fit and too well structured ...
the only players carving it up are the fast powerful edge runners like Villiami Kikau and the wingers ...

what about a compromise and bring in the 6 again rule from the 4th tackle. This way the game can be slower (wrestling in the first 3 tackles) but teams will need to be more careful by the 4th.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6