5/8th Poll

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
It looks pretty unanimous to me. Nearly 80% want to see Burns stay as our 5/8th.

How would you guys feel if Des does decide to throw Lyon back into 5/8th when Matai returns? And that ended in Burns leaving at the end of the season because he's struggling to get a run?

Hmmm, I'd be a little pissed off... but in saying that if lyon proves himself a superior 6 then i'd say fair enough. But, i'd prefer Burnsy to be in our team and i voted him to be the 6

IMO we wont win a comp with Burns at 5/8th.
I think the way to go is;

1. Stewart
2. Robbo
3. Bell
4. Matai
5. Hicks
6. Lyon
7. Orford
8. Kite
9. Monas
10. King
11. Beaver
12. Choco
13. G. Stewart

14. Ballin
15. Rose
16. Afamasaga
17. Bryant

The 2 games I saw Lyon play at 5/8 he just didn't look comfortable. When he moved to centre he was better. Burns must be the 5/8 man. He's young and with appropriate coaching will improve . I think he can develop into the Thompson sort of 5/8. Matai needs to get his defensive errors out of his game to get my vote, actually, I don't think he can so I'd move him on. Our backline leaks tries with him in it.

If we had to lose one of Matai or Burns, who would you prefer to lose?
The way i look at it - Both players can lose you a game, but only one can really win you a game.

Matai is prone to making the odd poor decision in defense - although was by far our best player in the last 5-6 games last year and shut down the likes of Gaz, Inglis and Gidley (he owned him in the semi). He has the ability to make a clean line break more then anyone in the team bar Watmough and Bell IMO.
He can make something out of nothing and can lift the side with a Massive hit.
He has the x-factor that Burns will NEVER posses.

Burns on the other hand is known for his poor kicking game, lack of creativity with the ball and never gets the ball to his outside backs.
We have the best centre combo in the comp and our wingers/centres have one try and no linebreaks to their name as of the first 3 rounds.

Sorry to be harsh guys, but Burns wouldn't make any other team in the comp, whereas Matai would walk into most.

Ok, now consider that bell is turning 32 this season. If he happens to retire and Jamie then needs to move to the centres, who are we going to play at 5/8th?

I know everyone will call for monaghan but seriously, the bloke is not a full time play maker. Burns is only just cracking 1st grade and has so much potential. Why let him go now?

Flip can you honestly remember the last time Burns has set someone up for a try or line break? If his defense wasnt so good we would be talking about him like we did about Witt.

matai our best in the last 5 or 6?

I must have been watching a different Kite making 180 metres each week

My question was, when bell retires who is going to play 5/8th.

What do you see as our future plan for players coming through?

There is more to football than try assists. He hasn't notched one up yet but he has scored one.

There is more to football than try assists. He hasn't notched one up yet but he has scored one.
Albeit try from a kick.
Personally, i think we wont have any replacement for Bell - its a shame Bani doesn't play centre because he looks something special. Hicks will also probably move on at the end of the year, so Bani will probably take his spot.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Lyon goes at 5/8th in a full game on a dry pitch. If i he fails, then i would let Burns take over.

Thats a good suggestion. If lyon is going to go better than so be it.

Where I'm seeing it from is we have a chance to make sure our talent doesn't run dry when when the current crop gets old. Burns has a few teams interested and I'm a little concerned if he doesn't get a decent run he will go and it will be our loss.

We're even more screwed if Matai wants to play with his warriors mates when his contract runs up. Its all hypothetical though. I just don't want to see one of our best 5/8th prospects go so we can save Des a hard decision.

I don't here you discredit Brett Stewart when he scores from a kick though :?:

If Bell leaves,
Matai to centre , Lyon to stay at centre and Burnsy to stay at 5/8.
Monas to leave and free up cash for a very good back rower or lock.
When Beaver retires , a little more cash to throw around.
All IMO only but I want to leave Burns in there. You cant under estimate the effectiveness of real mongrel and enthusiasm.

Also remember , we dont have to have 13 game breakers on the field. I think we have enough of them in Orford , Lyon , Stewart (both of them) , Bell , Choc , Beaver when on the park , Kite.

True Earl, im just concerned that Lyon, Bell, Robbo, Hicks and even stewy aren't seeing enough ball.
I really hope this changes this week because the Warriors have some average defenders in the backs.

Also, on top of the fact that his try was off a kick - I think it needs to be noted that it was off a beautifully weighted MONAS kick.

Don't want to lose Burns and it sure brings up a dilemma. In 2007,if he can't start giving the backs more quality ball, he's better off at hooker. But Ballin and Monas are 1st/2nd choice hookers. Maybe we need to persist with him at 5/8, but feel for Matai who will be pushed to bench or second row.

I'd rather see Lyon quickly gather form at 5/8, Burns/Monas interchanging hookers with ballin getting his opportunities thru injury. We mostly all agree ballin is the future hooker of the club, so room has to be made for him next year, if not this year....

Manly are pretty blessed with halves/hookers and centres.

We're blessed with the whole back line at the moment.

I mentioned in another post that for the first time in a while the club looks like having juniors who will take the reigns in the future.

Burns is getting his go in 5/8th. We've got Groom to live up to Orford's standards. Players like Ballin to fill hooking roles. Bani and so on. Things look good at the moment and I'd hate to see us throw a prospect like burns away before he reaches his potential.

That being said, how can we fit 3 rep centers in their roles without disturbing burns. It does seem a little odd that we want to play one of them out of position for a relatively unproven player.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4