3 YEARS OF INJURIES, SUSPENSIONS AND DUD REFS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Far out its been frustrating supporting Manly over the last few years. Such a talented side with potential and now with Dez back we could realize it, except for the fact every year we get decimated by injury, some dumb suspensions and the usual referring howlers. When can we get a bit of luck and go through a season with minimal team disruptions and some better luck with the calls. I want to see what this side can do with a good run of form going into the finals fully fit. Hasn't happened for a while. Plus an off season with no drama would be nice

Far out its been frustrating supporting Manly over the last few years. Such a talented side with potential and now with Dez back we could realize it, except for the fact every year we get decimated by injury, some dumb suspensions and the usual referring howlers. When can we get a bit of luck and go through a season with minimal team disruptions and some better luck with the calls. I want to see what this side can do with a good run of form going into the finals fully fit. Hasn't happened for a while. Plus an off season with no drama would be nice

Add to that the "salary cap 'toddy totally changed the accepted english definition of a commonly used word' breach" meaning we played 350k under the cap with 2 good players retired as well

(just to add to your happiness).

I'm guessing most teams would claim the same trifecta of injuries/suspension/refs - but...that doesn't mean they are right.

Just us.....!

I was thinking of starting a similar thread but thought I’d be criticised for being too negative.

It’s really really hard being a Manly fan these days , heartache after heartache AND yes I know it’ll make the next Premiership even sweeter BUT **** me it’s hard work getting to that point.

We haven't really been a serious contender since 2014, so 6 years now. It didn't even take this long after the dark years 2002/03, as we were contending again in 2007.
With three million dollar players it means we are limited in regards to putting a balanced/deep squad together, especially if there are ongoing issues with two of the players (chronic injury/value for money). The Storm had three highly paid players as well (Smith/Cronk/Slater) but they never missed much game time and their performances were consistently of a high standard.

I count it as this being the 7th year since the 2013 GF was so ruthlessly stolen to set the scene for what was to come.....
Yes, injuries cruelled us again in 2014. I think this was the year we played St George in a semi final at Kogarah and had about half a dozen players out, with a few more getting injured during the game. I think it was 2014?

I was thinking of starting a similar thread but thought I’d be criticised for being too negative.

It’s really really hard being a Manly fan these days , heartache after heartache AND yes I know it’ll make the next Premiership even sweeter BUT **** me it’s hard work getting to that point.
Im still optimistic though Mark. Week by week, just that after a loss the week is long and painful

What bemuses me is that, how, after what was a relatively minor salary cap breach that centred around the definition of "at arm's length" can we still be so hamstrung ? (Sorry Turbo....bad choice of words)

The Squeels basically dropped the book of rules on the ground and jumped up and down on it with both feet and yet they're back in the market and building a close to premiership winning roster.

We have guys who, from all reports, will be great players. But they're young and not physically ready for the punishment of first grade. We need a few key signings to get us to the point where the Schusters and Hopoates are ready to step up.

Yeah I am not sure this season is starting to smell like 2018 in terms of luck Injuries and off field crap. Hope I am not right I believe we need more strike in centre to be a threat and somewhat same at 6.

What bemuses me is that, how, after what was a relatively minor salary cap breach that centred around the definition of "at arm's length" can we still be so hamstrung ? (Sorry Turbo....bad choice of words)

The Squeels basically dropped the book of rules on the ground and jumped up and down on it with both feet and yet they're back in the market and building a close to premiership winning roster.

We have guys who, from all reports, will be great players. But they're young and not physically ready for the punishment of first grade. We need a few key signings to get us to the point where the Schusters and Hopoates are ready to step up.

How many million dollar players do the Eels have? More importantly, do they have any getting $1.3 million?

its been a challenging 6 years since our last great era ended. That great team was torn apart by division over who we retained in relation to the cap and climaxed with the Foran and DCE retention divisions that set us right back.

The whole roster was reviewed and many quality players were let go. We signed a rookie coach on the back of firing a club legend as coach. We then turned back to a coach who walked away from us after 2011. At least Des has brought back much needed stability and I give him heaps of credit for that.

The sad thing is our last two finals campaigns have been mired in refereeing controversy. That 2017 final against the Riff where Sutton allowed a blatant knock on the decide a tight final and the same referee butchered us by sending Jake to the bin last season when we had a 6 point lead with 12 minutes to go. Both painful defeats decided by the officials rather than the players.

You understand that decisions can go for you and against you, thats always been the nature of the game. The decision that denied us a famous win against Whingermatta really has hurt us in my opinion. Ever since then we have not looked the same team and now its compounded with the loss of vital players.

One thing that remains is our fighting spirit, that is still strong and we are resilient.

What we need to do is cut out our faults. The lack of discipline over this last 6 years or so is our weakness and that is something we need to improve.

The players we have are pretty good, We need to get in a few new players to turn us into a great team again.

its been a challenging 6 years since our last great era ended. That great team was torn apart by division over who we retained in relation to the cap and climaxed with the Foran and DCE retention divisions that set us right back.

The whole roster was reviewed and many quality players were let go. We signed a rookie coach on the back of firing a club legend as coach. We then turned back to a coach who walked away from us after 2011. At least Des has brought back much needed stability and I give him heaps of credit for that.

The sad thing is our last two finals campaigns have been mired in refereeing controversy. That 2017 final against the Riff where Sutton allowed a blatant knock on the decide a tight final and the same referee butchered us by sending Jake to the bin last season when we had a 6 point lead with 12 minutes to go. Both painful defeats decided by the officials rather than the players.

You understand that decisions can go for you and against you, thats always been the nature of the game. The decision that denied us a famous win against Whingermatta really has hurt us in my opinion. Ever since then we have not looked the same team and now its compounded with the loss of vital players.

One thing that remains is our fighting spirit, that is still strong and we are resilient.

What we need to do is cut out our faults. The lack of discipline over this last 6 years or so is our weakness and that is something we need to improve.

The players we have are pretty good, We need to get in a few new players to turn us into a great team again.
you forgot souths game in regular season at anz stadium 12-2 penalty count and again a disallowed try against us.

give it a few years and we will be up there again in the GF think 2021 could be our year.

I can understand with what you are saying feathered friend but unfortunately life comes with good fortunes as well as dramas and that is why we have to do all those little things that matter on the field right . We could have won that game against the Knight if we were spot on with our game .

We need to get rid of the average players in our side really.

Thompson and Sirro don’t cut it in the back row, yes they try hard but they are not fake changers

Levi is terrible and offers zero

Croker is horrible

I think every club has its fair share of injuries. Parra played extremely well without Moses a key part of their spine.

Need to get the discipline better in the players, Jake is a key offender with giving away re-starts and penalties.

Our squad as lots of youth which breeds enthusiasm and energy. Would like to see Hasler back the younger players more and give them a chance, not playing your second choice fullback when he is ready is a fine example.

The squad has good forward depth, the backline is very ordinary, out of the team on Sunday from the backline we had Cust and DCE who are inventive and Suli who can consistently break tackles.

Hoppa and Schuster should be given a fair run in the team, playing average players with more experience is not bringing points, Garrick, Jorge, Croker and Parker are steady players not game breakers.

The back row also lacks creativity, time to be more flexible with team selection and maybe rotate a few blokes in and out.

There is luck involved for sure, though most people who think they are lucky have taken the opportunity and give it their best shot.

The knights were a depleted outfit on Sunday with injuries and we still could not get the points despite having a lot of time with the ball.

How many million dollar players do the Eels have? More importantly, do they have any getting $1.3 million?

Maybe not the magic million Moops but they still have plenty on fair coin.

Moses = 800K
Brown and Paulo = 700K each
Gutho wanted 750 if my memory's any good.
RCG would be on good money too.

My point was, we haven't even been able to add anything but no names since Walker.

Yes, injuries cruelled us again in 2014. I think this was the year we played St George in a semi final at Kogarah and had about half a dozen players out, with a few more getting injured during the game. I think it was 2014?
That 28-0 defeat was actually 2010. That team put up a brave fight for 60 minutes and were then overwhelmed.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4