2023 Team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This best 17 media article is garbage

Before any trial games have been played they start to make up team lists so they to make up more of their garbage NRL stories

I hope the best performing players in the trials pick them selves

Last season Des had all ready picked his predictable team before the Xmas break

If I was Manly coach I would have this Big sign with Big Maroon letters at every Manly Training session

POSITIONS VACANT 1 to 17
APPLY YOUR SELVES ON THE TRAINING FIELD AND IN THE TRIAL GAMES

Positions-Vacant.png

Last edited:
Woodsie and Bozo I understand where you're coming from and as I reiterate, I've always wanted the younger players to get their chance sooner than later.

But identifying those who succeed immediately is retrospective thinking. Until they play a few games we dont know whether they will cope or not.

There have been many who struggle in their early games. I recall Randall for instance being quite ordinary at first playing centre. Sterling had a shocker in his first game. Tom Wright, a star junior at 5/8 struggled in his first games, yet now is a star winger with the Wallabies. Cade Cust was hardly inspiring with Manly at first but now he's thriving. Even Turbo started on the wing in his first games and it didn't hurt him. In fact he crossed the line twice in his first game. Menzies had to wait until Round 13 of his 1993 debut season and only played 6 games that year. Phil Blake had to wait half a season before he got his first game

Sure some players impress from the start but we know that only in retrospect. Easing players into the game can be an advantage. Coming in late means you're facing a tiring opposition. Like Turbo, Weekes spent most of his later junior football at full back and I understand Brett Stewart has been tutoring him for the position. Wing tends to have similar requirements to full back. Catching, returning the ball, less defensive requirements but speed across the park, clever footwork and he knows where the try line is. Fulton at this time has several others ahead of him, so he may have to bide his time and grab the opportunities as they come to move up the rankings. I suspect it will be off the bench...at least at first. Patience.

Woodsie and Bozo I understand where you're coming from and as I reiterate, I've always wanted the younger players to get their chance sooner than later.

But identifying those who succeed immediately is retrospective thinking. Until they play a few games we dont know whether they will cope or not.

There have been many who struggle in their early games. I recall Randall for instance being quite ordinary at first playing centre. Sterling had a shocker in his first game. Tom Wright, a star junior at 5/8 struggled in his first games, yet now is a star winger with the Wallabies. Cade Cust was hardly inspiring with Manly at first but now he's thriving. Even Turbo started on the wing in his first games and it didn't hurt him. In fact he crossed the line twice in his first game. Menzies had to wait until Round 13 of his 1993 debut season and only played 6 games that year. Phil Blake had to wait half a season before he got his first game

Sure some players impress from the start but we know that only in retrospect. Easing players into the game can be an advantage. Coming in late means you're facing a tiring opposition. Like Turbo, Weekes spent most of his later junior football at full back and I understand Brett Stewart has been tutoring him for the position. Wing tends to have similar requirements to full back. Catching, returning the ball, less defensive requirements but speed across the park, clever footwork and he knows where the try line is. Fulton at this time has several others ahead of him, so he may have to bide his time and grab the opportunities as they come to move up the rankings. I suspect it will be off the bench...at least at first. Patience.

Even the great Paul Kent had a shocker in his first game

Talent identifies it self feathered friend
Talent is like wings
You do not hold back wings
You let them fly and rise to great heights

Young talent not used
Is talent wasted
15785fe5f36a4faca240ccec352de76c

Talent identifies it self feathered friend
Talent is like wings
You do not hold back wings
You let them fly and rise to great heights

Young talent not used
Is talent wasted
15785fe5f36a4faca240ccec352de76c
Jake has become a one trick pony under Des, tackle and more tcall
Bloke in A Bar Review of 2023 Squad
(2:06:50 to 2:26:00). Main discussion points - importance of Turbo, DCE's kicking workload, Schuster fulfilling his potential, can Jake regain his pre Des ball in hand form?

Jake has become a tackling machine and nothing else, remember when he was a ball playing forward and Hasler changed him to a work horse. We need him to revert back to what made him a great all round player, hope the new coaching staff can identify and fix. Under Hasler they were too structured and predictable.

Hasler they were too structured and predictable.
We all expected more from Des's Second coming

The proof of us becoming too structured and too predictable was when became a one Man Tommy Turbo team

With out Toms Initiative we were lost

Think you are spot on , for most it’s a huge step up and it will take a little while !!

Think you are spot on , for most it’s a huge step up and it will take a little while !!
The Huge Step Perspective ...........

One Huge step for Ordinary players
One Giant Leap for Young Talented players

Houston .....
The Young Flying Eagle Centre of Excellence has Landed !

5cb3ea1e710a955146c66eb973751ccf

You can’t blood them sitting them on the bench. They need to be thrown into the cauldron at some point. I don’t believe anyone is actually ready in their very first top grade game. It takes a few games for them to settle in and build confidence. We are seeing more younger players excelling sooner in the modern game. Not all will succeed but that’s always been the case.

Its not a question of having young players linger on the bench. Its a question of easing them in and allowing a little time to adapt. Some will take to it like ducks to water, some will need time to adapt. Doesn't mean they aren't capable, just that first grade is a big step up and many are coming direct from Junior football. And whether they are potential champions or not, sometimes throwing them in fully especially to core positions may not be best for them or the team. Trouble is you don't know ahead of time who is going to handle it with ease, and they are never going to be as good when they start as they will be with experience. Do you put an apprentice in charge of a major job from the start and we all start as apprentices in life's challenges?

The major jobs are across the field nowadays. I agree the young blokes need old heads to follow on the field. Look how good the young South’s half back is going and he is a kid, same with the Roosters half. Look at last season when Harper was humiliated by the big Sharks centre and the kid Koula came on in the second half and shut him down. Koula hasn’t look back since plus he has speed to burn. Proper use of the bench doesn’t permit sitting a kid on the bench for 70 minutes anymore the game is too fast and you need to help the pack using sensible bench rotations otherwise they get gassed. The game has moved on.

Proper use of the bench doesn’t permit sitting a kid on the bench for 70 minutes anymore the game is too fast and you need to help the pack using sensible bench rotations otherwise they get gassed. The game has moved on.
Yep. The coaches will know from watching training and reserve games what the kids can do. In each case players will get picked when they are ready, or when we have no-one else.
The comp is so close, the battle for finals spots starts in Round 1 and the pressure never eases off, unless you are Penrith or Storm and leading the comp by 6 points.

Just remember Seibold brought a number of young Broncos (particularly forwards) into first grade pretty quickly eg Carrigan, Flegler, Hopoate, Palasia, Bullemore etc
In 2019 the Broncos had the youngest average age for the forward pack, than any other NRL team.
I would imagine he will do the same with some of our younger players as well, and expect to see them playing regular first grade much earlier than if Des was still the coach.

Just remember Seibold brought a number of young Broncos (particularly forwards) into first grade pretty quickly eg Carrigan, Flegler, Hopoate, Palasia, Bullemore etc
In 2019 the Broncos had the youngest average age for the forward pack, than any other NRL team.
I would imagine he will do the same with some of our younger players as well, and expect to see them playing regular first grade much earlier than if Des was still the coach.
Good point @Eagles4Life. Seibold has also being open about making mistakes during his tenure at Brisbane, maybe this was in part, one of them..

Possibly @Red Pill , However, when we look at the NRL career trajectory of the majority of these players (Hopoate is omitted, obviously, and Bullemore played in the wrong position by Des), it could be argued that this "mistake" was actually not a mistake at all. Seibold had problems at the Broncos with everyone else EXCEPT the younger players he brought through.

Cobbos and Gambles's comments on Walters show just how he (Walters) is perceived by the younger Broncos players now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4