2023 Defence Matters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There are multiple threads being raised for multiple reason's why Manly are not winning.
Turbo useless, Harper useless, Croker useless, Weekes useless, Kelma useless, Parker useless, DCE useless, Aloiai useless and sack them all.
It goes on and on and on and on full of hysteria.

Our defence is useless - plain and simple.

If we can fix that, we will win more games than we lose as our attack is good.

Can Seibold and his team of high profile coaches do their job and fix our defense?

Last edited:
There are multiple threads being raised for multiple reason's why Manly are not winning.
Turbo useless, Harper useless, Croker useless, Weekes useless, Kelma useless, Parker useless, DCE useless, Aloiai useless and sack them all.

Can Seibold and his team of high profile coaches do their job and fix our defence?
As they say Rugba Leeg is a very simple game. Stop people scoring points and score more than the opposition. Simples!

Our defensive structures out wide are flawed. Running sides ways and then backwards in defence never works yet that’s what I watched our backs do time and time again. Rethink and lots of work to be done.

Our defensive structures out wide are flawed. Running sides ways and then backwards in defence never works yet that’s what I watched our backs do time and time again. Rethink and lots of work to be done.
I don't think it's a coached structure. Players who retreat are only doing so instinctively when lacking confidence in themselves and those around them. Put simply, our edge players are just horrible defenders

Can Seibold and his team of high profile coaches do their job and fix our defence?
Has anyone checked to make sure we don't have Fainu and Haynes lawyer working on our defence??

So true, but it's not just us TE, every ones flanks have been exposed. Could it be the attacking raids down the flanks are more potent than the defensive attempts to stop them, I'm talking every club.

It's almost like we muscled up against the Bunnies, and ultimately lost, and then the defensive attitude has gone out the window.

The last 2 weeks look like the 2005 Tigers, just instead of peak Benji, we have a broken Turbo and the headless chook.

It's almost like we muscled up against the Bunnies, and ultimately lost, and then the defensive attitude has gone out the window.

The last 2 weeks look like the 2005 Tigers, just instead of peak Benji, we have a broken Turbo and the headless chook.
Sad but probably sums things up . Maybe to cut D C E a bit more slack however . D C E and Turbo are obviously our highest paid players for a reason but quite a bit percentage reduction on the side doing well when both or even one of them are out of sorts or just not match fit .

So when they mentioned Jakey only made 33 tackles I thought that sounds below par for him.

Then I thought Froggy must’ve made 50 odd…. nup 35 tackles.

Whilst only making 281 tackles, 71 less tackles than the dogs, who was the other player who helped the 2022 tackle masters?

7 other Manly players made more than 20 tackles including Parker and DCE.

With more than half of our players making more than 20 tackles we have finally got our priorities right.

That 6 points we conceded was also dubious so the boys can be proud.

Can’t wait to watch our “against” tally stay low. It will be for Round 2!
Attack matters as well
Take Harry Grant for example
He is Tenacious in defence and Tremendous X fuker in attack

The moral of an affective NRL team story
Is that you need competent team players and not necessarily all to be superstar players
But essentially All to be competent players in both attack and defence

Last edited:
I agree with you and The moral to your story mave is this

The great premiership Winning Manly teams have been season consistent teams
The bottom of the 8 teams have been known to cause the upset now and again
But they also go back to their own mediocre plays again

Yep, kept Storm to 8, Souths to 12 in regular time.
Did slip up at Penrith but the team is building and consistency will improve bit by bit. Storm made a lot of errors and they were largely a result of the pressure Manly put on them. They rarely threatened our line.

I think the word for today (and against Souths) is possession. We controlled possession, dictated field position and manhandled the storms forwards. Defencive effort and pressure was top class.

But also that type of defence (focused in the opposition 40) is a little different to goal-line defence, and we didnt really get to see much of that being tested today. I think our forwards were fantastic, and in the wet we couldn’t have controlled it any better.

The last thing i’d be prepared to do at this stage would be to trust our goaline defence purely on the merits of how well we controlled field position vs Souths and Storm. i.e If we swapped the roles with the Storm today i’d still have very little confidence in a 2 tries to 1 game.

Today was a great building block though. The effort and pressure was too much for the storm to overcome. Keep it up manly

I think the word for today (and against Souths) is possession. We controlled possession, dictated field position and manhandled the storms forwards. Defencive effort and pressure was top class.

But also that type of defence (focused in the opposition 40) is a little different to goal-line defence, and we didnt really get to see much of that being tested today. I think our forwards were fantastic, and in the wet we couldn’t have controlled it any better.

The last thing i’d be prepared to do at this stage would be to trust our goaline defence purely on the merits of how well we controlled field position vs Souths and Storm. i.e If we swapped the roles with the Storm today i’d still have very little confidence in a 2 tries to 1 game.

Today was a great building block though. The effort and pressure was too much for the storm to overcome. Keep it up manly
We did still look shakey in our own 20 at times. And yet we defended really well at others. That try from Melb was a complete break down somewhere.

We've kept two top 8 and contednding teams from last year to less than 16 points. I don't think it fully justifies that our defence is on the up, but in both those game high possession and completion from us just kept the opposition away from our end to even worry about them targeting our edges. We still have a long way to go in defence, but we have the gameplan to keep teams to low scores.

3 things impressed me defensively
1) The humble 8 points leaked
2) The venom in almost every tackle, physically dominating them all night
3) Attitude - if your defence is on - your there to play
PS - Great thread btw
This is what wins Premiership

That was a lot more like it.

Great attitude all night. And we controlled possession, in the main, and played a lot smarter.

That hit on Olam was the moment I knew we would win. I don't think he has ever been hit like that before.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8