Elgey
Hodkinson
Koroisau
Perrett
Kioa
Smith

Brayden Musgrove replaces Kioa
Keppie moves from development contract to top 30 for Hodkinson

This leaves four spots. I think we need a hooker as I don’t think cust could play 80 at 9 if Manase is out at any stage.

This will obviously need to me a pretty low budget player otherwise we would have just kept Api

The options are:

James Segeyaro - Perfect API replacement just dependant on price
Isaac Luke - was past it 3 years ago - no thanks
Andrew McCullough - as above
Matt Parcell - would be the best priced option, I thought he had potential when he was here and I think working with Des and also Michael Monaghan he could be a great player for us.
Zach Dockar-Clay - we could promote from within also on a fairly cheap contract. Do not think he has as much upside as Parcell but also adds extra halves depth if need be.

My pick - Parcell

Sorry this is getting a bit long so breaking it into a few posts

The next position would be one more depth forward in Perretts position. The options are.

Retain Perrett - would probably be on a reduced contract and showed some promise in his few games at the back end of last year. However I think physically he has issues and will not be able to get to the fitness level required to reach his potential therefore I’d look to replace him

Luke Thompson - the best forward in England lots of good judges think he’d do very well in the NRL and is still only 24 years old. If we can get him on a decent price he would take our forwards to
The next level.

T-Rex - We all know this story. I think we could squeeze good value out of him for a couple of years. Would be a prudent signing cap wise.

Verdict: I really want both these guys but Thompson is probably unrealistic so would sign up T-Rex on a one year deal

• 👍
Reactions: R3
The final two spots are a bit trickier, bit we probably need another half given we are losing Hodkinson and Elgey. Particularly as Walker isn’t established as a half yet.

Options

Jai Field - Wonderfully skilled player who was stuck behind far more experienced play makers at Illawarra. Is apparently unwanted by Mary who is a rubbish coach and also threw Garrick on the scrap pile. I think under Des he could be a great addition and would be good value for money. Covers Halves, Wing and Fullback so would be handy for depth.

Te Marie Martin - pending medical advice after his brain bleed earlier this year. He’s also an incredibly skilled player and I think he could complement DCE well. Could be worth a life line if he gets the all clear.

Sam Williams - good organising player who could complement DCE well. Perhaps too expensive for our cap position.

Ash Taylor - No

Verdict: Jai Field. I think he would develop similarly to Garrick and provide valuable cover.

The final position I would leave open to promote a player depending on needs and or form early in the season.

Candidates include: Sam Smith, Ben Trbojevic, Josh Schuster, Baldy Saunders, Dockar-Clay, Saddler, Miski

The final position I would leave open to promote a player depending on needs and or form early in the season.

Candidates include: Sam Smith, Ben Trbojevic, Josh Schuster, Baldy Saunders, Dockar-Clay, Saddler, Miski

I agree with this. Best to keep a spot open until closer to the dead line. If a player goes down in the 1st half of the season it gives us a chance to promote from within or outsource a replacement.

Lets put it this way about Josh Schuster. We know he was being chased, apparently with big money offered, by several clubs. Now he's signed with the Sea eagles for 2 years '20, '21. I would suggest he wanted to stay but Manly would have had to put its hand well down in its pocket to hold him, even if much lower than alternative offers. Now you don't spend big on a player who is potentially only going to play first grade for one year. He will be in Manly's squad of 30 or at worst in the development squad for next year. He will expect this, given the alternative offers, and Manly aren't going to throw away money on someone playing reserves for one of his two years on contract, especially as by the end of next season, other clubs will come nibbling again. He'll want to feel he has made it into Manly's team by years end. Same will apply to Albert Hoppa. Ben T. will be development and wont be such a risk because he'll want to play with his brothers.

Had Lunch with a mate today, who personally knows Sam Verrill’s Dad.
He said he is a manly Boy and would love a contract from The Sea Eagles.
He currently doesn’t have a top NRL contract at all!
He’s lives up here too.
Makes perfect sense to bring him aboard, considering we let API go..

Cowboys released Mosley for his attitude not his playing ability, they had high hopes for him but his off field distractions got in the way of being a professional footballer.

He’s lives up here too.
He’s a great player. Makes a lot of sense for both parties, especially if the roosters throw jake friend back in front of him after this seasons efforts.

He’s lives up here too.
Cant see him leaving the chooks. Think they just extended and upgraded him too.

Des is only interested in winning a GF posters getting excited about bringing in all these exciting young players who have gone well in under 20s or whatever
Is just not going to happen
The players who had poor finals games would be the ones most likely to be replaced
Allow me to name just a few
Parker, Elliot, Jorge, Perot,
The let’s wait and see group
Boyale, Keppie, Waddell, (Waddell went better then I expected)
No doubt Des has a few players in mind to build a team around
Tom,Dce,Walker,Fainu,Jake, Taupau, AFB, and then it’s just adding from available players
Parker, Elliott, Jorge, Perrett had poor finals games? What games were you watching? You're taking the pi$$ yeah? Admit not all played brilliantly but poor? The let's wait & see group lolol.......Have you seen these guys play? Also I'd say all coaches are interested in winning a Grand Final not just Des. So by your reckoning we should let our exciting youngsters be & go out to buy who?

Schuster will be in the frame next year and will probably get a run at 5/8 in the trials. He potentially gives us more depth in the halves along with Cust and we will need it due to origin and probable injuries along the way. Otherwise we are in good shape with DCE & Walker. I don't expect Des will make the same mistake we made with Gutho by not factoring in the possibility of a full recovery by Hoppa, however I expect that he knee will not be ready until about mid season. By way of wingers we are a little light on with Jorge, Garrick, Hoppa, Smith. We need Turbo fit with Elliott providing a stop gap solution during origin. In the centers we have coverage from Suli, Parker, Musgrove and Walker (when and if not playing 5/8). The pack is looking really good with front row rotation of Marty, AFB, Sibley, Keppie & Boyle. We are well stocked with second rowers, with Sirro, Thommo, Jetski, Waddell, Paseka, Olakau'atu & probably T-Rex and the icing on the cake of course is Jake. IMO we need another hooker in the top 30 as a new apprentice to Fainu and another winger in the form of a Fijian Flyer. I like the look of our squad for 2020 and on paper they look good enough to have a really good year. I am really looking forward to season 2020!

I don't think we really need anyone if one of the younger guys coming through actually makes an impact next season (Hoppa, Shuster, BTurbo, etc.). That said I think one thing we could use is an experienced player who's been there and done it to help our young guys coming through - probably a bench forward, but maybe a five eighth or centre. Can't really think of anyone available that fits the bill. Maybe old Hoppa to compete for a spot or play Elliot's role next season.

If we have a good run with injuries we should be very threatening.

So you automatically resort to an insult as soon as someone disagrees with you?What do his premiership rings have to do with anything?You said that he is unwanted by them,so why the hell would we want him?I have seen him play many times and he is nothing more than anything we have now.Maybe we should throw a lot of money at Aubusson,he has a couple of rings too,you seem to be fascinated by rings......We have 6 props contracted for next year,yeah,lets throw more money at a position we have well filled.
You are 100% right about not needing Tetavano but he is a quality bench prop. He is not unwanted by the Chooks, his stocks have risen and he can demand more dollars. If he was no good, they wouldn't be playing him in the GF and they certainly wouldn't have signed him in the first place because they don't buy rejects out Bondi way. He is a much better forward than Andy Saunders.

The point still stands; we don't need to spend money on props.

You are 100% right about not needing Tetavano but he is a quality bench prop. He is not unwanted by the Chooks, his stocks have risen and he can demand more dollars. If he was no good, they wouldn't be playing him in the GF and they certainly wouldn't have signed him in the first place because they don't buy rejects out Bondi way. He is a much better forward than Andy Saunders.

The point still stands; we don't need to spend money on props.
The original poster claimed he was unwanted and then changed it to not being able to afford him,don't personally know what is going on with him.Wasn't that impressive in last game.
Ran hard and straight,but unless you are 120kgs you need some footwork to step or swerve(or ball skills),he was just getting stopped dead at impact as defence knew what he was doing(Luke Page?).He also got run over/through by Brandon Smith twice,the second led to a try as he was 5 metres behind the play the ball when Solomona crashed over.Agree that he is not what we need to spend money on though....

You have to look at what you have to fill in the squad

In my opinion the squad spots up for debate are

Elgey
Hodkinson
Koroisau
Perrett
Kioa
Smith

Brayden Musgrove replaces Kioa
Keppie moves from development contract to top 30 for Hodkinson

This leaves four spots. I think we need a hooker as I don’t think cust could play 80 at 9 if Manase is out at any stage.

This will obviously need to me a pretty low budget player otherwise we would have just kept Api

The options are:

James Segeyaro - Perfect API replacement just dependant on price
Isaac Luke - was past it 3 years ago - no thanks
Andrew McCullough - as above
Matt Parcell - would be the best priced option, I thought he had potential when he was here and I think working with Des and also Michael Monaghan he could be a great player for us.
Zach Dockar-Clay - we could promote from within also on a fairly cheap contract. Do not think he has as much upside as Parcell but also adds extra halves depth if need be.

My pick - Parcell

Sorry this is getting a bit long so breaking it into a few posts

Sam Verills? Was an Avalon bulldogs junior, I think he has been great filling in for Friend this year...

Parker, Elliott, Jorge, Perrett had poor finals games? What games were you watching? You're taking the pi$$ yeah? Admit not all played brilliantly but poor? The let's wait & see group lolol.......Have you seen these guys play? Also I'd say all coaches are interested in winning a Grand Final not just Des. So by your reckoning we should let our exciting youngsters be & go out to buy who?
Don’t worry I watch the games very closely plus replays to see where we are weak and which players are not up to speed
Like I said building toward next year Des will review the reality of that South loss and come up with the same conclusion that I have ..
To keep it simple
Start with the players that handled playing finals football better and then add the rest
Whoever they are
Parker and Jorge are part of our left side defensive structure who have done a great job
But with all the ball Walker gives him how often do we see him try to bring Jorge into the game ?
That’s it time to sleep
I have some scathing thought about how Dc went against Souths to......but later

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2