2020 hooker (and Fainu disc.)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cust or Croker for hooker 2020 if Nas is out

• Cust

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Crocker

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

• Fainu

• Levi

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters
Like Levi’s passing. Can pass flat and long both sides.He is also is a lot quicker than API or Nase. Doesn’t come close to Fainu creativity wise( not many do) but Tommy has never really worked off a game plan of long crisp flat early ball to weave his magic on the edges and I think you will see a lot more of that in Dessie’s game plan this year if Levi plays, particularly with the Australian halfback as the middle man.

Previously Tommy worked mainly off Jake and Nase probing in the middle as that was where those two players strengths lay.That pet play of TT when he did actually work the edge with the long cut out pass to the winger will be even more dangerous off a flat early pass from dummy half.
We have lost a lot with Nase situation and can’t really expect Levi to match his overall skillset but we may see more of our main striker out wide to at least offset some damage. If we don’t get Levi maybe a tough year with only rookies to call on.

Last edited:
Like Levi’s passing. Can pass flat and long both sides. Doesn’t come close to Fainu creativity wise but Tommy has never really worked off a game plan of long crisp flat early ball to weave his magic on the edges and I think you will see a lot more of that in Dessie’s game plan this year if Levi plays.

Previously Tommy worked mainly off Jake and Nase probing in the middle. That pet play of Tommy’s when he did work the edge with the long cut out pass to the winger will be damn dangerous off a flat early pass from dummy half.
We have lost a lot with Nase situation but we may see more of our main striker out wide to at least offset some damage. If we don’t get Levi maybe a tough year with only rookies to call on.
I agree, I also think at times we were far too one dimensional going through the middle, if that didn't work then we often struggled with our backline plays. Levi definitely has a crisp pass and should create more time and space for our halves and outside backs and Chez will relish a clean crisp pass. Levi isnt as sharp as Fainu but he actually is quite quick and damaging off fast play the balls, he probably has more creativity than people give him credit for and I think he'll prove to be one of the buys of the season. He was the kiwi hooker only a couple years ago and was brilliant, he also carved up in the 9s with extra space and I for one am extremely excited about his signing

Probably convenient now that the promising centre Musgrove did return to the Hunter , looks like with the saving on his contract and now the Knights apparently chipping in that 150 k or so will enable Levi to finally join Manly . Going to be hard to replicate the excellent rotation of the A P I and Fainu show but those two were not always available together so like in any serious sport , the other team members just have to adapt in playing mode or whatever . Much will depend on trial form as to who can be the most suited back up or utility 9 . No question that Fainu 's smart ruck play is going to be missed but should provide quite a bit more stability and benefit now that Levi seems to be finally on his way to Manly .

He has averaged about 60 minutes per game over the last 4 years. He played 2 x 80 minute games last season.

I notice that his games played total over the last 4 years are 18, 24, 17, and 17 again last season. Not sure what that says about his ability to stay on the park for a full season ??

Although in 2017 when he played most games (24), his average minutes over the season was up slightly to about 65.

Regardless of how many mins he usually plays I feel it’s irrelevant at this stage.
My feeling is that Levi starts with a hooker on the bench as we did with last years rotation (Cust, Croker or Ipape wearing 14).
We won’t be looking for an 80min hooker and this work load will be shared IMO.

Last edited:
I hope Croker is our 14 to be honest. Kid has so much class and character coming back from these injuries. When back, he played bigger than his build, and put his body on the line.

He screams "character" in every facet in my opinion. That said, Cust looks the goods too.

Embarrassment of riches at the moment. And who knows, Ipape may be a darkhorse for the bench.

Either way, Blacktown HAS to be dominant this season, what with the Smith, Miski, Croker, Cust, Sipley, Hopoate, Trbojevic, Williams, Schuster, Titmuss, Elliott, Olakau'atu, Funa, Kioa, Boyle types likely to get a run.

The main advantage of keeping Fainu over Api is that Fainu is younger and better. Just a shame he is mixed up with a bad crowd.
Annoys me when people deflect or reduce personal responsibility for an individual passing it off as "mixing with the wrong crowd" to be the blame and cause.

The "bad crowd" is a group of individuals who made the exact same choices in life, nothing more nothing less.

Happy New Year my silvertails brothers and sisters :)
So it looks like we have got this young fella from
Newcastle I’m excited to see what he will do under Des, Donnie and the team.

I just remember des has had a lot of luck signings players like this and turning them
In to very good first graders.

Gotta say I was excited for 2019 with the messiah back as coach that excitement is even stronger this year. I think we can give the top 4 a shake.

Look get your a coach of some type but don't need a lecture on why Glenn a better ball player or cannot see hype around fainu.
I make my own judgement I played game for well over 20 years in country nsw I pretty sure I can pick something out rather than a power point on reason why. Thanks for your insight but I differ.
Keep supporting the eagles.
Other than simple second man link plays and the odd short ball mixed in at the line (with some small delayed variations) i wouldn't call Jake anywhere near Glenn's class when it comes to ballplaying.

I do feel this year though Des will have more forwards passing and offering more variation, last preseason the focus was on laying down some good defensive structure so Manly can remain in games which held back the development of the attack.

Walkers confidence building and showing some great touches at the back end of the season, forwards offering more variety, more off ball movement, DCE more refined and polished under Des and hopefully Levi stepping up for some direct sharp play around the ruck(hopefully Levi has some strong passing both sides of the ruck and good defence) all are great signs for the attack.

Twenty years in Country Rugby League without a YouTube highlights clip means i can't take you seriously, also a Power Point display is probably far too technical for the country folk to grasp anyway.

I'm not at all convinced he's a coach, not a paid one anyway.
And why does that matter, other than you require someone to be paid to take them seriously without forming your own opinion on what that person has to say regardless of them making an income or not.

I would say 80% of the current NRL coaches (and more like 90% in the past) are not worth the coin they are on.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4