2020 hooker (and Fainu disc.)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cust or Croker for hooker 2020 if Nas is out

• Cust

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Crocker

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

• Fainu

• Levi

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters
I do not understand the work rate concern you have. There were games where he was an absolute machine. I can remember some amazing 20-30m runs from dummy half late in games where he was carrying prop forwards on his back. The golden point game in Melbourne rings a bell; he was huge when everyone else was stuffed. It was like having another front rower at times, such was the power he generated from his legs. I think he has a huge engine.
Yes the golden point game Fainu had a nice dart out of dummy half late in the game i recall and in extra time ran back in cover well.

In saying that i think that performance was over exaggerated, it was a steady performance lacking as usual passing variety out of dummy half.(buy yeah for a young kid he racked up some Km's in that match which is good to see)

He switches off in defence way too often, always looking for recovery moments, he doesn't inspire or take the load off defensively for the forwards either.

Other than his fine darts out of dummy half and attracting markers in his unique way with offloads(which is a great skill to have mind you) i don't see anything else in his game that is a stand out, warranting such huge praises.

To me the three most important elements a hooker should have is crisp passing variety out of dummy half, great defensive qualities/workload and engaging the markers. Fainu only exhibits one of the three.

Running big km's doesn't mean you have a big work rate, you might have a steady motor though.

Jake and AFB work rate in that game was amazing to watch.

I do admire Fainu for playing most of the year with a busted shoulder at such a young age, but in saying that his defence has never been great(adequate at best) and already suffering shoulder injuries just means he will shy away defensively even more.

Like everyone else, I don't have any idea how this is going to pan out, but I like the way Manase plays and I like what he brings to the team. And that's the point: if it works for the team as a whole, it doesn't matter whether he's "the complete NRL hooker" or not. All we "average" fans see is that our team looked better and got better results when he was on the field.
Looked better in certain attacking elements of the game that is all.

Better results not sure what you mean by that, it is a team game with both hookers playing a role.

Api retuned late from injury at the start of the year and i don't think Des showed much confidence in Api all year, on top of that Api was usually playing the first 20-25mins and probably the last 10mins or something like that.

Api went backwards under Des and looked like he was suffering confidence wise and belief wise.

In saying that Api never had a strong passing game out of dummy half which he should of been working on more (there were improvements though along with Fainu), also Api's usual sharp direct running out of dummy half was very much lacking last year, seemed to be playing with no confidence and trying to make up for it with just defensive workload and intensity.

If the Panthers go well next year we should see the old Api again, especially on a fast home track like the Panthers ground and not the slippery, thick cow paddock of Brookie.

Looked better in certain attacking elements of the game that is all.

Better results not sure what you mean by that, it is a team game with both hookers playing a role.

Api retuned late from injury at the start of the year and i don't think Des showed much confidence in Api all year, on top of that Api was usually playing the first 20-25mins and probably the last 10mins or something like that.

Api went backwards under Des and looked like he was suffering confidence wise and belief wise.

In saying that Api never had a strong passing game out of dummy half which he should of been working on more (there were improvements though along with Fainu), also Api's usual sharp direct running out of dummy half was very much lacking last year, seemed to be playing with no confidence and trying to make up for it with just defensive workload and intensity.

If the Panthers go well next year we should see the old Api again, especially on a fast home track like the Panthers ground and not the slippery, thick cow paddock of Brookie.
I think that calf injury he picked up played a big part in his form obviously.He knew he had the young gun Nase breathing down his neck. I remember his first game back from the injury, and he looked underdone (like he needed another fortnight off). Then he buggered it again and it became a chronic injury for him.
Hopefully he does get back to his best. Api is in the same class as Brent Kite for me. As in an ex-Manly player that I would never boo, no matter who they played for.

Yes the golden point game Fainu had a nice dart out of dummy half late in the game i recall and in extra time ran back in cover well.

In saying that i think that performance was over exaggerated, it was a steady performance lacking as usual passing variety out of dummy half.(buy yeah for a young kid he racked up some Km's in that match which is good to see)

He switches off in defence way too often, always looking for recovery moments, he doesn't inspire or take the load off defensively for the forwards either.

Other than his fine darts out of dummy half and attracting markers in his unique way with offloads(which is a great skill to have mind you) i don't see anything else in his game that is a stand out, warranting such huge praises.

To me the three most important elements a hooker should have is crisp passing variety out of dummy half, great defensive qualities/workload and engaging the markers. Fainu only exhibits one of the three.

Running big km's doesn't mean you have a big work rate, you might have a steady motor though.

Jake and AFB work rate in that game was amazing to watch.

I do admire Fainu for playing most of the year with a busted shoulder at such a young age, but in saying that his defence has never been great(adequate at best) and already suffering shoulder injuries just means he will shy away defensively even more.
I agree that defence is the aspect he needs to work on most. Api is a much better defender at this stage. Neither have amazing service from the ruck. The one thing about Fainu that gets fans excited is his ability to generate points. Things seem to happen around him. We need a player that can create because our points scoring potential is a concern at times. If teams get a handle on Tom T, we do not have a lot else to work with. We lack a genuine 6 and DCE is rocks and diamonds.

We are gritty and we defend stoutly but points against quality opposition will be our achilles heel.

I agree that defence is the aspect he needs to work on most. Api is a much better defender at this stage. Neither have amazing service from the ruck. The one thing about Fainu that gets fans excited is his ability to generate points. Things seem to happen around him. We need a player that can create because our points scoring potential is a concern at times. If teams get a handle on Tom T, we do not have a lot else to work with. We lack a genuine 6 and DCE is rocks and diamonds.

We are gritty and we defend stoutly but points against quality opposition will be our achilles heel.

We have a genuine 6 If Schuster manages the move up to the big boys. Potentially he could be up there with Cliffy in a few years if his potential is realised

I take note cust has trained at 9 all off season and photo on Insta has him with forward unit but no croker.
Unless knights pay freight levi I say he starts. Ipape a 2021 nrl prospect imo.

I take note cust has trained at 9 all off season and photo on Insta has him with forward unit but no croker.
Unless knights pay freight levi I say he starts. Ipape a 2021 nrl prospect imo.
No matter how it goes, I can't see us having our number 9 playing for 80 minutes next year. Probably some form of Cust/Levi/ZDC starting + bench, depending on how the off season and Levi's signing goes.

No matter how it goes, I can't see us having our number 9 playing for 80 minutes next year. Probably some form of Cust/Levi/ZDC starting + bench, depending on how the off season and Levi's signing goes.
Yeah I don't think we see any more than 40 minutes out of cust at 9. He got a very good short ball and nippy so he worth a try, his defence is issue given some issues on edges last season. I imagine levi if he comes if Zdc rotate.

The way I see it we 100% need a recognised hooker on our books. I mentioned before we have lost Api, Elgey, Hodko and Fainu stood down and they have all been replaced by Eddie who is a young rookie... Say we run with Cust at 9, what happens if he gets injured? We play Croker there?
Then what happens if Chez goes down long term and we've got our only spare half playing hooker??? It makes zero sense to be so short on playmakers! Levi is the obvious choice and Im confident we will not go into the season without a recognised hooker. If we cop a couple injuries We cant rely on rookies day in day out if we want to win a comp. The top 4 is so important as stats show you need to finish top 4 to win the comp so every game every week is so vital to finish top 4 and be in a great position to win the comp.

The way I see it we 100% need a recognised hooker on our books. I mentioned before we have lost Api, Elgey, Hodko and Fainu stood down and they have all been replaced by Eddie who is a young rookie... Say we run with Cust at 9, what happens if he gets injured? We play Croker there?
Then what happens if Chez goes down long term and we've got our only spare half playing hooker??? It makes zero sense to be so short on playmakers! Levi is the obvious choice and Im confident we will not go into the season without a recognised hooker. If we cop a couple injuries We cant rely on rookies day in day out if we want to win a comp. The top 4 is so important as stats show you need to finish top 4 to win the comp so every game every week is so vital to finish top 4 and be in a great position to win the comp.
Yeah levi needs to be here. Not sure our cap but Musgrove going would have freed up a minimum contract which is 100k.

My assumption is Levi would already be here if the Tigers had not missed out on Latrell Mitchell. His manager is probably in the middle of trying to get him the most cash possible, but it seems like lifestyle matters to Levi so he would probably rather live in Manly than Leichhardt. Hopefully we hear something definitive very soon.

We have a genuine 6 If Schuster manages the move up to the big boys. Potentially he could be up there with Cliffy in a few years if his potential is realised
I can say with some certainty that Schuster will not be playing in the halves when the season kicks off. He may get a game somewhere throughout the year but the rumour of him starting at 6 in rd.1 is way off the mark.

As for Levi, the issue is money. He is on good coin at the Knights and although they want to move him on, they naturally are not interested in paying half his freight. Our salary cap situation means we are limited in how much we can pay for him. Thus, negotiations are on tenterhooks.

We really need him because Fainu will not play next year regardless of the trial because of his shoulder.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4